Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nathan's birth story



Early Sunday morning, I woke up with contractions and just didn't feel good at all. I dealt with pretty strong and regular contractions for almost a full week prior to this, but this was the first time that I actually thought that "this" could be it. The contractions were strong and a little painful, but I knew that they weren't at the point of seriousness quite yet, so we decided to go on about our day and head to church. When I was able to sit down for the first time and time them on the way to church, I realized that they were indeed coming every 5 minutes.
I didn't hear hardly a word that Brother David preached Sunday morning. HA! The contractions never wavered and remained strong and consistent through the service and through lunch. Needless to say, I didn't feel good at all and just wanted to get home so I could lay down. On the way to the hospital, I realized that the contractions were becoming more painful and were now coming every 3 minutes. I decided that it would probably be better to just make a detour to the hospital before we headed home to make sure everything was okay. When we got to the hospital, I was 2cm and 40% effaced. I informed the doctor on call that I believed that I was indeed in labor and that I tended to progress pretty slowly until I got over 4cm and then usually go extremely fast. They told me to walk around the hospital for an hour to see if I was progressing at all, and Jay decided to take the girls home at this time and see what would happen at the next check.
An hour later, I had indeed progressed to 3cm and 50% effaced, so I was labeled a "keeper" and finally realized that we were going to be having our son soon. I went back and forth from being completely elated with this news to pretty freaked out...this was actually happening. We would soon meet our precious little boy. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous during my labor with him. The "unknown" that has plagued this pregnancy was about to be "known", and I was nervous about seeing him for the first time. I was scared. When I reached 4cm, I requested the wonderful epidural and the doctor came in and broke my water. Shortly after this, Wandy arrived to watch the girls and Jay was able to come over to the hospital to be with me. It was so good to see him come through that door. Over the next hour or two, I was given a couple of bags of antibiotic for being GBS+ and was baby sat by the anesthesiologist tech a little for blood pressure issues that seem to bother me whenever I get an epidural.
At about 10:30, I started feeling a bit more pressure so the nurse checked to see that I had finally pushed past the 4cm mark that I always seem to get stuck at for a few hours and reached 6cm and 90% effacement. About 10 or 15 minutes later, I told Jay that I needed to push but wanted to breathe through a couple of contractions to make sure that I truly needed to push since I was just checked and was only 6cm. Surely enough, it was torture to keep from pushing during those two contractions, so I knew it was time. I couldn't believe how fast I had progressed during that last hour...neither could the nurse and the doctor.
The doctor came in and the nurse sped through prepping the room for delivery. After 3 very easy pushes (at 11:13pm), I held a screaming itty-bitty baby boy. Our baby boy. Our Nathan. He was covered in vernix and had such a wet cry, and I was in love. I held him in trepidation and tried hard to see if there was anything out of the ordinary that I saw. I was instantly smitten with him, and looking deep into his bawling eyes, I realized that he was probably okay. I didn't cry at all then, but my eyes fill with tears when I think of that moment now. I thanked God over and over for him...for our son...for answering our prayers...for Nathan. He was okay. I hated having to give him to the pediatrician to be accessed. I wanted to hold him in my arms forever. He was perfect. His apgar scores were 9 and 9. His muscle tone was great, he was pink, his lungs sounded good, his heart was healthy. He was fine. And we were relieved. He was 6 pounds, 5 ounces and 18-1/2 inches long. A few minutes later, Nathan couldn't seem to settle down and catch his breath. His nostrils were flaring and he kept grunting between breaths, and I knew that those weren't good signs. After about 30 minutes of trying to settle him down enough to catch his breath, he finally calmed down and started breathing normally. Again, we were relieved and thankful. He was about 5 minutes shy of having to be sent to the nursery for breathing problems, and I just wanted so bad to hold him in my arms again.
We had a wonderful night. Nathan nursed well right from the start and enjoyed having his hair washed during his first bath. Between me and him being checked every little bit for post-partum schtuff, we were able to sleep for about an hour that night...with him in my arms the entire time. I couldn't quite believe it. He was here. We had our son. We couldn't wait for the girls to meet him the next morning.
Nathan is darling. I am totally head-over-heels in love with him and am trying to soak up as much of his newborness as I can. The poor child loves to be held and hates to be put down. He has had no problems nursing at all, and he is sleeping so well at night. The girls love holding him and talking to him. I am doing well...his labor and delivery was so incredibly easy and fast that it was pretty easy on my body as well. I am almost as good as new...let's just hope my stomach muscles get that memo soon. Abby and Emma are still not convinced that there isn't another baby in my belly. I keep getting the question "But why is it still SO BIG then?" Nathan is due to be circumcised on Friday morning, poor child, and we will get an outpatient appointment at a hospital here in town for tests on his kidneys next week.

The past few months have been such an emotional rollercoaster for us, and we are so thankful that Nathan is healthy and does not seem to have a chromosomal abnormality. Even though the last few months have been difficult, we are thankful that we have been through this trial. We grew as a family, as a couple, and in our relationship with our Lord during this time, and even though we would never want to live through that trial again, we are thankful for that time in our lives. The Lord is truly merciful.

28 comments:

dorindmikey on February 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM said...

He is beautiful. I am so happy for you. I got teary through this whole post.

skye on February 27, 2008 at 4:20 PM said...

He is just beautiful. I am so glad that everything is okay. You have all been in my thoughts & prayers.

september on February 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM said...

He is a beautiful blessing to your family. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby boy and wonderful birth story! I love love reading your blog and looking at those amazing pictures! Congrats to you and your family!

Kim on February 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM said...

He is such a beautiful baby, absolutely gorgeous. And your photos are amazing. Congratulations! So glad to hear you are soaking up these precious newborn days.

The Ulmers said...

Hooray for the Ferrells. Thank you for sharing your blessings with us. The Lord always knows what we need. We are so thankful that all is well.

Trina on February 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It is a beautiful one. Nathan is precious.

TracyVDM on February 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM said...

What a great story, Amber! You are making me so incredibly anxious to see this little one inside of me! Your photos are gorgeous, as well. He truly is a perfect, angel, baby.

Anne on February 27, 2008 at 6:09 PM said...

The Brantley family in Georgia send congratulations on your beautiful little boy! We are thankful to our merciful God for his blessings on your family, and we send our love and share our absolute delight in your new "threesome!" Two girls and then the boy makes for absolute joy - we definitely know!
We can't wait to see you all! Mt. Gilead sends love and best wishes!
Love in Christ,
Kenneth, Anne, Emily, Elizabeth, and Jonathan

Melissa Mae on February 27, 2008 at 6:38 PM said...

OH AMBER!! He is absolutely ADORABLE!! I am so thankful, thankful! I can't wait to meet him in person!

Michelle on February 27, 2008 at 6:41 PM said...

Congratulations! He's adorable and precious and so tiny!

I love the photos -wish you could come by and take newborn photos of Lucas :) In that 2nd picture it looks like Nathan and Lucas almost have the same chin LOL

Was he born on Sun?

amber on February 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM said...

Michelle, Yes he was born on Sunday (just barely). So I guess that makes he and Lucas a day apart with their birthdays, right? Isn't that funny?

Chubby Cheek Designs on February 27, 2008 at 8:25 PM said...

oh my heavens amber he is one perfect little blessing!

Emily on February 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM said...

Keep those pics coming, they are just the most beautiful ever. They are really helping me through a tough time too. So pure, such a gift. Blessings to you. And thanks for sharing the birth story. Those always bring back wonderful memories.

momof2princesses on February 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM said...

I said it before, but I'm gonna say it again. He's beautiful, Amber! Your story gave me chills & had me in tears a couple of times. Thank you for sharing!

~we3brownz~ on February 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM said...

what a precious little snuggle bunny, i love his tiny toes. cant wait til he shows up at church, im goning to be in line 2 hold him, until then be well, and love him much...mark, doshia, & korbyn

Dana on February 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM said...

I absolutely love those little fat cheeks!!!! Now you are making want a boy this time so bad!! pray and trust that all will be found well with his kidneys. Love you guys,
Dana

mollie on February 27, 2008 at 10:25 PM said...

what a handsome little guy! We are so thankful for Nathan's safe arrival. Give him a hug from Ohio!
Love, the Pegrams

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime on February 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM said...

Amber, I have been following you for months now and couldn't wait to see baby Nathan - he did not disappoint. He is GORGEOUS. Absolutely one of the prettiest newborns I have ever seen.

Praise God he is healthy - although I know you would have loved him just as much with Down, it is still such a relief! Praise, praise, praise the Lord.

Blessings to all of you!!

Love,
Missy

Beth on February 28, 2008 at 9:41 AM said...

Your pictures are amazing - what a treasure to have such wonderful pictures!!! I am glad your labor/delivery was fast and easy!!! Enjoy your new boy!
Beth

Jolie said...

Sounds like it was a great birth, Amber! Isn't it sweet how a mama and daddy can settle the breathing of an early baby just by their touch? Luke was the same way...seeing him relax was amazing!

Hope your first week at home is restful and sweet! Congratulations again!

Ginger McCabe said...

Amber such a great birth story!
Really I could not be any happier for you! he is just perfect!
Love all the photo's! really really great!

Katie on February 28, 2008 at 11:33 AM said...

Aww, okay so that one of him yawning looks like Emma to me!! Tell me you see that?!

Beautiful pictures, wonderful job, Amber!

Brandy on February 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM said...

Beautiful birth story and beautiful baby boy! Congratulations :) I am so glad everything turned out perfect!

Dawn on February 29, 2008 at 12:35 AM said...

Darlin, you have been through so much. I'm sure the relief must have been and must still be incredible, although I know you were prepared either way. Lily and Felicity and I bought presents for your little guy today. Lily kept saying, "This is for the baby? This is for the baby!"

Get some rest, but keep that camera close at hand. :-)

Gemma Higgins-Sears on March 2, 2008 at 4:03 AM said...

congratulations... what a beautiful baby! it was wonderful to read your story, and the pics are divine :)

staceywoods on March 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM said...

Loved reading your story, Amber. And Nathan is just gorgeous! What a beautiful little sweetie-pie. I'm so tickled for you! Boys are such fun to love, and it sounds like he's already got you wrapped around his itty bitty finger, eh? ;)

Much love,
Stacey

oh amanda on March 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM said...

Beautiful story! I'm just too happy for words!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez