Tuesday, March 4, 2008

And so the madness begins


I had to take Abby's TV privileges away because she was using the furniture as her own personal trampoline...for the second time today. We also had to have a heart to heart about the way she is treating her sister and talking to us...for the millionth time this week. She has surprised us a lot by being the one who has had the hardest time with the adjustment to having a new addition to the family. She loves Nate and is such a great big sister to him, but she is continuously trying to see where all the boundaries in our family system are and test every one of them to see what she can get away with. I shouldn't be surprised. That's always been her personality. But good grief, the kiddo is about to drive me nuts today.

About 20 minutes ago, Abby tugged a little too hard on her new favorite personalized beaded necklace and all the beads showered the playroom. She lost it emotionally, so I tried to comfort her with my free arm since Nathan was attached to his lunch on the other side. Emma walked into the playroom to see what the commotion was and decided that Abby's pain was too much to bear and lost it emotionally as well. But I didn't have a free hand, so I stroked her with my foot. It didn't seem to do the same as an arm, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
I had to discipline Emma for throwing herself on the floor in a tantrum because she had applesauce on her hand that I did not see when I was cleaning her up after lunch. It had been a couple of weeks since she had thrown a tantrum, so we were due. Her springy yellow shirt is currently being pre-treated because it was literally covered in ketchup and applesauce during lunch.

She has surprised us by doing extremely well in this adjustment period. She will still give us the periodic "Put Nasan (what she calls him) down and hold me", but she has been sweet and loving to all of us and hasn't really acted out all that much like we expected. I was always amazed at how small Emma was compared to her peers, but now it is funny how much bigger and fuller she feels after holding Nathan's teeny-tiny body. I had to change Nate's diaper 4 times in 10 minutes earlier today. Who ever said that you learn more with each child? During one of the diaper changes, Emma lost her balance and stepped right on his crotch. In a state where all of us gasped and froze to see what would happen next, little man cried for about 3 seconds and was over it. He's gonna be a tough little fella, for sure. And as I sat down with a hiccuping little thing propped up on my chest to write this blog post, he pooped again...so I changed him...and he peed on my shirt. I wish I could say that this was the first time.

He is on a wonderful schedule and sleeping so soundly during the day, but the nighttime is a different story. Neither one of the girls ever had a problem sleeping at night...and Nate does really well also, just as long as he is on my chest or sleeping in the crook of my arm. The child will sleep by himself all day long, but he just seems to know when it is nighttime and he wants to be in our bed. So I am doing what I said I would never ever do...I am letting him sleep with us. We have started to weaning process of getting him used to being by himself at night though, and I am so excited to say that he slept for 3 hours in his pack-n-play last night. Score one for the sleep-deprived, headache-having, "very very very inpatient with her older children today" mother. Slowly, but surely, we'll get there.

Oh, and he flipped from his stomach to his back again a couple of days ago. I thought the first time last week was a complete fluke, but he did it again. That crazy strong kiddo.
Really? 3 kids? Do I have the kahunas for this? It sure is a good thing that I love those little boogers so much. Now I am off to take some advil and look at the back of my eyelids for a few minutes to prep for round 2...the after-nap battles. Wish me luck.
So, here's a smile for you today...from a freshly clean unumbilicordated belly button. Isn't is cute?

10 comments:

oh amanda on March 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM said...

Oh what fun, Amber! I hope sleep finds all 4 of you soon...

Kayla on March 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM said...

That sounds exhausting. It makes me wonder if I really want to try for baby number two. Good luck. It sounds like you are doing a great job.

Amanda on March 4, 2008 at 3:52 PM said...

Before you know it Amber you will have Nathan on a great schedule and the older girls will calm down for sure. All in time my friend and then you will think three is a piece of cake!!!

Kathy said...

Hang in there, Amber. Children are very SPECIAL! (some days more special than others:)) It sounds like you and the angels had a very special day today. Maybe after a little sleep, tomorrow will be a better day. If not there is always next week. We love you.

Jill Chandler on March 4, 2008 at 6:51 PM said...

Hi!
Sam will be pleased to see Nathan's little "Outie" since he was a little puzzled by the umbilical cord picture. When Sam came along, Ben used to ask me if Sam's outie would become an "innie" when he grew up!

Hope you guys sleep soundly tonight!
Love the pictures!
Jill

Emily on March 4, 2008 at 9:24 PM said...

Oh boy! That does sound like a big headache. I hope it gets easier, it should. HUGS to you!

Katie on March 5, 2008 at 8:30 AM said...

Yes, but have you had to SPANK with your foot yet? I HAVE DONE IT!

I have had to chase Evan to his room because he would not go as directed while baby hangs from my chest, half-hopping, half- tapping him with my foot... you know, I really should cut "said baby" and third child some slack after coming into such a violent world on such a violent note, huh?

amber on March 5, 2008 at 8:53 AM said...

HAHA!! No, haven't had to spank with my foot yet, but I did have to break up an argument with my foot the other day and grab the "wanted" toy with my toes. Those things come in handy every once in a while.

You are too funny, Katie!

Becky on March 5, 2008 at 11:19 PM said...

Hi Amber,
This is Becky, Dana's other "sister". I have been loving your blog. You are a very talented photographer and a gifted writer.
I just had to write you and say I know how your day went. I have 3 rambuctious, yet precious, boys. And somedays, I wish I had another arm or two. Actually I will go ahead and admit that I wished I had a clone. hehehe Anyway, You are a great mom! Keep up the great work.

momof2princesses on March 6, 2008 at 11:24 PM said...

HUGS!! Two is hard enough... I commend you for having 3! lol I hope you've been able to get some sleep!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez