Friday, March 28, 2008

The good and the bad


We had our appointment with the Pulmonologist this morning. The good news is that Nate doesn't have any lung issues. He has issues with his breathing, but no lung issues...we pretty much figured that going in because he has never had any problems with his oxygen saturation. The Pulmonologist took a look at him and started testing out Nathan's muscles and came to the conclusion that he is hypotonic, meaning that he has low muscle tone and strength. That was no surprise to me whatsoever because I have been more and more aware of his lack of muscle strength over the past few days. He will only lift his head up from our chests for a second before it falls back down, and he never attempts to lift it when he is laying on his stomach on the floor or bed. And he still feels very floppy to me. The Dr. noted that he doesn't try to resist or flex his arms when you pull him up by his hands or hold him up by his arms, and he doesn't straighten his back when you lift him in the air. He is still like a floppy newborn. She said that the hypotonia is what is causing his retracting and tachypnea. His muscles are just weak and it is making him have to work harder to breathe. She has referred us to a Neurologist, a Geneticist, and a Physical Therapist for further evaluation and testing. Hopefully we will be able to find out what is wrong with Nathan soon, but at least he will be able to start physical therapy at such a young age despite us not knowing what is causing his symptoms yet. Please continue to keep him and us in your prayers. It is emotionally draining when we are faced with troubling news at each Dr. visit. It is hard to see Nate having to go through all of these tests. And it is now difficult to think about what could eventually be his diagnosis. But it is a comfort to know that so many prayers are being sent on his behalf.

Sister Karen Lawrence (for those of you who know her) sent me an email while we were in the hospital a couple of weeks ago that I have read repetitively since then and have found strength and joy through the verse that she included:

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10

11 comments:

Kim on March 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM said...

Amber,

My son had a different situation but was evaluated at six weeks and started PT at seven. It was heart-wrenching. Though the circumstances are different I can tell you that I have been in a similar place. Look back I can see just how God used that time in our lives for His glory. I am praying that soon you will be able to see the glory in all that you are going through. Nate is gorgeous, your pictures amazing. Lifting you and yours up in prayer.

Kim

Toni on March 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM said...

Hugs to your family. I am glad you are finally getting some answers. Your in our thoughts and prayers!

StephthefutrRxDr on March 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM said...

Praying that whatever it is can be overcome! Also that B&W portrait of Nathan is stunning, you are truly talented! I'll be praying for your little boy.

oh amanda on March 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM said...

Praying for you! God WILL uphold Nathan! And give him strength.

pamela said...

Stay stong. Praying for your family and your little boy.

Dana on March 28, 2008 at 10:02 PM said...

Nathan will remain in my prayers. I literally pray for him everyday and know that our God is bigger than anything that is going on in Nathan's little body right now. Thankfully you recieved some answers today. I hope that his coming up doctor's appointments will be even more revealing and you will finally have some answers. We love yall so much and hope to talk to you soon. By the way, he is the absolute most adorable baby boy I have ever seen!

Christine on March 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM said...

I am so happy you are starting to get answers!!! You will be amazed at what PT will do...he just needs your help building that core strength up. he does totally look like Emma. What a lovey ~ I hope that i get to meet him SOON!!!

phaedra on March 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM said...

What a precious, precious face. As always, I'm thinking of you and your family and praying for the best outcome possible. Loves!

Beth on March 30, 2008 at 8:51 AM said...

Amber, we are continuing to pray. Nathan is just too adorable. I love those chubby cheeks and the smiles!

Beth

Laura on March 31, 2008 at 7:00 AM said...

Amber, I just wanted you to know how much we think of your family. We are praying for you during this trying time and hope that you get some answers soon. He is such a cutie pie! I can see Abby and Emma in his pictures. Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sister Amber,
I keep thinking about the scripture
of the Faith of the Centurion in Luke 7 1-10. I think about you and Brother Jay. I know and I know that you know that all the Lord would have to do is speak the word of divine healing for our dear Little Nateman and he would be all okay. I have been praying that the Lord would just make him better and it just be Him showing his right hand for us all to see. I pray all day for you all. If you ever need Lee, Sarah, Kate and myself to watch the girls and Nate or do anything, please let us know. We miss you so much and can't wait until we meet again...
Love, hugs and kisses,
Sister Dina

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez