Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I told you he was a chunky monkey


Nathan's one month appointment was today, and he clocked in at a grand total weight of 8lbs. 12 oz. and 21 inches long. Seems that mama makes condensed milk. That's a weight gain of 2-1/2 pounds and gain of 2-1/2 inches in just a month. Have I said that the kid likes to eat?
His breathing pattern was pretty rough today. He was retracting quite a bit and was tachypneic once again. At this age, infants should have a respiratory rate of about 120-140 breaths per minute, but his was at 168. It is the retracting and the tachypnea together that is troubling, but his pulse ox was still great, so he isn't having any trouble getting oxygen to the rest of his body. We have to get another chest x-ray done on his sometime this week, and we are also being referred to the Pulmonologist that we saw in the hospital. They will more than likely run some more tests to see why he is still having problems breathing.
Thankfully, our pediatrician thinks that his red blood cell, hemoglobin and hematocrit counts will come back up to a more normal range in the next few weeks, so we won't have to get that blood test done again until next month. He had his heal stuck today to check his bilirubin levels again (we'll get those results tomorrow) and his hematocrit levels. His hematocrit was 10 on Friday and 11 today...still low, but it seems to be improving.
The child's an enigma. The pediatrician said that she has never seen anything quite like Nathan before . I keep thinking that Nate will wake up one morning and just start breathing like a normal kiddo and all these tests will automatically be over, but that hasn't happened yet. At this rate of "feel sorry for the poor guy" that I have, he'll be sleeping in our bed until his wedding night.And yes, I fold. In all my efforts to convince everyone that Nate looks like Abby did as a baby, I must admit that the chubbier he gets, the more he looks like Emma. No offense to Emma there. She was my chunky baby...Abby was my reflux/colicky baby. So yes, you were right. A mother doesn't always know best. I go down with dignity.

8 comments:

Beth on March 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM said...

He is beautiful - I mean handsome!! I hope you guys gets all this figured out!!!

Beth

Ashley on March 25, 2008 at 7:56 PM said...

Hey, if it makes you feel better, the first words I told Wanda when she dropped by with pictures were that he looked just like Abby!
Ash

leigh on March 25, 2008 at 10:10 PM said...

He is beautiful.

staceywoods on March 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM said...

Amber, your family and your sweet boy are all in my prayers. Love his heart. He's absolutely breathtaking, by the way. And you are photographing him BEAUTIFULLY!!!! Not an easy feat, I hear, to photograph your own newborn (and do it well). So we'll see, huh? ;)

xoxo,
Stacey

momof2princesses on March 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM said...

I'm glad he's growing so well. Praying the breathing gets better. And I still think he looks like Abby, lol. Especially in the eyes. He's adorable!

Tara on March 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM said...

He is growing to fast! The pictures of him are adorable, I still can't believe he is a month old already. Too funny-because last night after Silas got thru reading the blog he said..Nate looks like Emma, but I said.. I have seen Abbie's baby pictures and he looks like her. So we settled for he is a great mixture of both!

oh amanda on March 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM said...

Chunky AND cute!

Praying for all those tests and his little body!

Michelle on March 27, 2008 at 12:06 AM said...

happy 1 month to both our boys! I can't believe it's been a month already - I think I'm already missing that "newborn-ness"! LOL Lucas is pretty much the same way -he was 7lbs 8oz and 20 in at birth, just yesterday we were at the drs (for thrush - lovely) and he weighed 10 lbs and 21.5 in...for reference Kayla didn't weigh 10 lbs until she was FOUR months old (and was 22 in)! I'm not used to this rapid weight gain LOL

I had to laugh at your previous post when you described your belly button - isn't that so true! And don't forget the discoloration (mine is anyway!)

Praying you get some answers soon to what is going on with Nate!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez