Saturday, March 22, 2008

Let's add one more dramatic day to the mix


We got another dreaded call from someone at our pediatrician's office yesterday: "We received some troubling reports with Nathan's blood tests. His Sodium level is dangerously low and if it is still that low today, he will have to be readmitted into the hospital." I was then instructed to go immediately to the biggest hospital I've ever been to (this time without the kitty cat umbrella) and get some more blood work done STAT! I called Jay who rushed home from work to stay with the girls, and Nate and I packed up and headed to the hospital again.
As I was walking through the miles of corridors to the outpatient laboratory, I realized that poor Nathan has been a patient at 3 of the 4 hospitals in our city in the past month, with the exception being the VA Hospital. Yesterday's blood work brought the count up to 13 needle pricks he has had in the past week, and he seems to be getting used to them. He cried for about 4 seconds when they stuck him yesterday and then quieted down and just looked at the phlebotomist for the duration of the blood draw. My brave little boy.
We waited for the results to see if we would be spending the night back at the Children's Hospital or if we could go back home and spend Jay's birthday with him and the girls. And once again, the Lord answered our pleas to Him. Nate's sodium level came back in the normal range...we could go home.
Our pediatrician called me on my way home (she had the day off, but was periodically calling the hospital and her office waiting for the results as well). All was well. We were thankful! He still has some levels that aren't in the normal range, but they aren't as pertinent as the Sodium level was. It still looks like he is a bit anemic, but we aren't too concerned right now because his bilirubin levels (the ones that show how jaundiced he is) are finally coming down. While we were in the hospital, they were 12.5, and now they are 10.1...my little cheeto puff is starting to loose his cheeto quality. His red blood cell count, hematocrit and hemoglobin levels are still a little low, and his liver function test came back a little high again. All of these together signal that he could be a little anemic, but since his bilirubin levels are coming back to a more normal range, we are hoping that the rest of the levels that deal with his red blood cells come back as well as he gets over whatever has been plaguing the poor child.
Instead of Shepard's Pie for Jay's big birthday dinner, we ordered pizza. And Jay had to put icing on his own cake while Nate and I were in the hospital because I had just taken it out of the oven before we left. But as was commented on the previous post, the best birthday present was that we have our son home and he is indeed on his way to recovery.

7 comments:

Autryville on March 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM said...

I normally call Rachel for my daily Nathan update, but I was logging Lauren on Webkinz and thought I'd take a peek...I've been praying fervently for "normal results Saturday", and I'm so, so thankful for the better news today! I pray you will have a wonderful weekend with your on-the-mend, growing baby boy! I'll continue praying for him, and for you to finally feel like you can rest, too!

Love,
Jolie

momof2princesses on March 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM said...

I'm glad his sodium level was back in the normal range! Poor little guy. Seems like it's one thing after another!

Tasha on March 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM said...

Poor baby! Such lovely pictures of your little baby boy! :)

Ashley on March 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM said...

Amber,
Phillip wants to know when you are going to change your profile to include the Nate-man...he thinks you are still the mother of only two exuberant girls...even though we have seen Nathan in the flesh!
:) Ash & Phillip

Jill Chandler on March 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM said...

Dear Amber,
I will be praying for a NORMAL week for you guys... home, vegging, enjoying the springtime!

Love you,
Jill

oh amanda on March 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM said...

So, is that good news? It sounds like good news! I'm praying for you guys!

(((hugs)))

Dawn on March 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM said...

I'm so sorry y'all are going through all this, but you know he's worth it. :-)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez