Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Party of Five


3 or so weeks ago, I was often lobbed the quintessential post-partum question: "So, how's it like with three kids now?" To which I would so foolishly reply, "Awwww, shucks. It ain't nuttin' to write home about. Cartin' along three rugrats is just like havin two of 'em. It ain't no different." Because really, it wasn't much different. The littlest little rugrat was sleeping all the time and barely made a peep, and the oldest two rugrats were sweet little things who said "yes ma'am" to everything I asked and routinely picked up their toys, always brushed their teeth without being told, and even rubbed my gnarly feet with baby lotion while chanting "You are the greatest mom in the world. We love you. You are the greatest mom in the world. We love you."
And then I stopped taking the Percocet that was wonderfully blocking the pain of my worn-out uterus trying to swallow my internal organs. Warning: Percocet can make life experiences seem brighter than they actually are.
So, how's life with three kiddos now? Well, it's fine as long as you don't stress out about the 2 boxes of nerds that exploded all over the kitchen floor, the emptying of the change jar just for the fun of it, the baby lotion that has been smeared all over the TV and windows, the faces that still have syrup on them from breakfast, and the van that has been so utterly disgusting for so long that you no longer apologize or try to make excuses to anyone who catches a glimpse of it.
Obviously, we haven't gotten into a schedule that works for us yet, and I am BIG on schedules...about as big as I am about not sharing our bed with a kiddo. But creating a schedule just doesn't seem to fit in our "every 2 hours" nursing sessions and almost daily Dr. appointments. In the meantime, I will turn my head away from the household clutter that NEVER GOES AWAY, the dirty clothes that never get washed, folded and put away in the same day, the TV that stays on a little too much during the day, and the spilled toothpaste that is currently turning the sink a fluorescent shade of electric blue...and try to keep from blowing my top when Abby says "I'm bored. There's nothing to do.", Emma turns the ceiling fan on full blast for the thirteenth time that day, and Nathan wakes up the moment I close the girls up in different rooms and sit down for a moment to enjoy a few short minutes of listening to nothing but the clicking sway of the baby swing.
Because life with three kids...well, let's just say that it's not as easy as it was when Percocet was working as a great mood-stabilizer.

17 comments:

Christine on March 26, 2008 at 3:23 PM said...

((((HUGS))))

leigh on March 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM said...

I must get me some of that, there percocet. I'm sitting here watching my 2 no-nappers on the backyard 'playground' when I realize that there are some sort of finger/face prints on the window. I'm sure if I had the percocet I'd get up and wipe it off.

Dana on March 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM said...

OMG. I'm sorry. But, that was funny. Were you on percocet when you wrote that?

And do you have any left? I need it with ONE kid. :)

pamela said...

Aww, hang in there Amber. At least you can keep your sense of humor during this time.

I know you know before long at all, they WILL (all 3 of them) be running around in your backyard, yelling and playing.

Order will again find it's way in your life via means of a 'schedule'. I'm sure Abby will soon be in school, then Emma and gosh you'll have time again when little Nate does nap (and not need food every TWO hours).

As you know only one child for me right now, but definitely count your blessing for each of yours. There are many folks out there that would sooo love to be in your position with the 3 kids already here.

Keep your head up your doing a FABULOUS job! Percocet or not. =)

mollie on March 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM said...

Oh well, at least when the percocet buzz wears off you still gotcha some cute kids!!!

Dana on March 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM said...

Amber,
You are such a good mama! Anyone who has dealt with what you have dealt with in the past few months would probably be in the hospital on more than percocet by now! You are handling things so well! You are also stinking hilarious and in a wierd way have made me WANT three kids just to get to experience the chaos of Amber's life! Love you girl!

momof2princesses on March 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM said...

OK, I had a really witty reply typed up, but then I got an error message, lol.

Anyway... the 2nd part of your post made me feel like you were peeking in my window! lol Isn't life sweet!? Ha!

Jill Chandler on March 26, 2008 at 11:09 PM said...

Constant whirlwind... Here we come! And just think, we have friends with TWICE as many kids as us and more! Love the picture you paint with words ALMOST as much as the fabulous pictures you share!

Hope tomorrow provides you a few brief moments of solitude, or at least semi-calmness!

Love you!
Jill

Dani on March 27, 2008 at 12:39 AM said...

You are so funny. Sounds like that was some good stuff!

Tara on March 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM said...

Great,now I feel bad about complaining about my ONE whiny child yesterday on the phone to you! I say go back on the percocet, your still trying to heal up right?

Emily on March 27, 2008 at 1:19 PM said...

Golly Amber. You do always seem to make life sound so glamorous and wonderful through your blog. I think that is why I enjoy it so much. But I love hearing that it ain't always peachy in your world either. It makes me stop feeling so down over in my world. Too bad that Percocet isnt' otc :) HUGS()()()

StephthefutrRxDr on March 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM said...

Ur girls are so pretty, I love these pictures.

Ashley on March 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM said...

Hey, we are on Spring Break this week, so if you need a hand at all, you know we would love to come help out if needed...whether it be watching the girls, cleaning the house, or doing whatever you may wish!
Love ya,
Ash and Phillip

Laura on March 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM said...

Yikes! Percocet is great, isn't it?! I'm sure you'll have a routine in no time! :-)

Amanda on March 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM said...

Now, don't you feel better?!! Writing can be good therapy, huh? Not as good as the drugs but.....you had me laughing out loud once again and if I were you, I'd take Ashley up on her offer!!!

Brandy on March 27, 2008 at 4:44 PM said...

I can't believe that Nate is a month already. ou sure aren't getting much use out of all those boy clothes ;) Adorable little butt dimples!!
Lol & {{hugs}} about the percocet. I hope you find that routine soon.

staceywoods on April 7, 2008 at 8:32 AM said...

Love your heart. Honey, Percocet was my best friend after Parker was born. I was quite shocked, as you were, to find that life wasn't as smooth as soon as the rx ran out. Thank you for the laugh and for the flashback! I'm sure I'll need my find my good friend Percocet once again while I transition to TWO kiddos instead of one. ;)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez