Friday, March 7, 2008

Ultrasound Results


The phone rang this morning at about 8:45am with a very apologetic nurse on the other end:

Nurse: Ummm, Mrs. Ferrell. I am so sorry that I have forgotten to call you this week, but I wanted to let you know that Nathan's ultrasound is scheduled for today.
Me: Today?!? What time? (Looking frantically for a clock because it was already way too late for me to still be in my pajamas since I was expecting a lazy rainy day with nothing to do but address birth announcements and hang tight with my chillens.)
Nurse: At 11:00.
Me: Like in 2 hours?
Nurse: Ummm, yes. I am so sorry.
Me: Okay. Okay. Okay. Where is it?
Nurse: All the way across town which means that you need to hop yo' stinky self in the shower right now, scream at your children to find something decent to wear, frantically call your husband asking him to drop everything that he is doing and rush home so you won't have to load up all your hooligans in this monsoon that we are having and prance them around the biggest hospital you have ever seen, and give that baby a bath because no one wants to smell last night's spit-up on him, no matter how cute he is.

Okay, the last bit didn't quite go exactly like that, but it was close.
I raced like a mad woman to head out the door at 10:15 (and thankfully, Jay got home with about 3 minutes to spare). Our city was under a tornado warning...not a watch, a warning for all you weather gurus, which meant that it was nasty outside! And I don't own one stinkin' adult-like umbrella, which doesn't seem to be the brightest idea since we practically live in the tropics. So Nate and I go prancing along in this pouring thunderstorm/tornado with Abby's pink kitty umbrella above us, complete with large black eyes and pointy ears on top. And all the while, I just kept thinking how great it was that I didn't have to worry about being cool anymore...not that I ever was cool, but whatever. I was dry. Nate was dry. Miss Kitty umbrella was soaked. That's all that mattered.
The hospital we went to was literally the largest hospital I have ever been to. After walking 2.8 miles from the parking garage to the hospital, through the west wing, down some corridors, in a few elevators, and down to the basement (which I was really happy about since there was a tornado and all), we had finally arrived...about 5 post-pregnancy pounds lighter.
And so I tell you all that long and laborious story to get to the real purpose of this story: The diagnosis...he still has fluid on both kidneys. We had thought that his right kidney had resolved on its own from the last two ultrasounds I had while he was still in utero, but that wasn't the case. The ultrasonographer wouldn't tell me much, but she did say that he has excessive fluid on both kidneys, but it is more prominent on his left. The pediatric radiologist will give the final report to our pediatrician,and we should hear more next week.

His kidneys can still resolve on their own in time, but we will have to continue to have ultrasounds every month or so until this does indeed happen. If they do not resolve on their own, he will more than likely have to have additional testing done to decipher if he will have to undergo surgery when he is older to correct the problem. But, all this is just from bits and pieces of conversations with various doctors we have talked to throughout this journey, so we don't know anything for sure right now. We'll know more about the treatment plan next week, hopefully.

Little man was a trooper through the whole morning. He's tired now since his morning naps were pretty much interrupted, but he was so great through the ultrasound and all the waiting and parading about through the storm. He didn't even seem embarrassed that his mother looked like a complete moron holding a toddler-sized pink kitty umbrella. He's such a sweet boy...loves his mama.

His kidney problems don't hinder how much the child pees...I have never felt such big wet diapers from such a little thing before. I was changing him on the makeshift changing table this morning (aka: some plastic thing that fits on the pack-n-play) and he let out a perfect arched stream of pee to hit Emma clear in her face as she just happened to be walking by. Jay and I gave him some high-fives (because clearly he was getting back at his sister for stepping on him the other day) as Emma tried frantically to wipe her face while shouting "I all nasty now! I all nasty now!" It was a fun way to start the day.
His sisters obviously love him too. After a few rough days, we have all finally gotten into a great schedule around here, and the girls are a lot better behaved now as well. They are head-over-heels for Nate. Abby even asked this morning if she could marry him when she got older. "Only if we live in the Appalachians, honey." Emma loves on him all the time, and just wants to lay beside him constantly with their heads touching. She even let Bear-Bear lay beside him the other day...and that is a HUGE step for the little possessive stinker. Speaking of the stinker...

Me: EMMA! What are you doing playing in the toilet?!?
Emma: I just washing my hands and washing my face.

And we even had company visiting us during that little episode. Score!

10 comments:

Amanda on March 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM said...

I hope that the kidneys will resolve on their own and the cute little dude wont have to go through anything too extensive.
And thank you so much for the laugh today with your Hello Kitty adventure, I was in desperate need of some cheer!

Christine on March 7, 2008 at 9:35 PM said...

LOL at the toilet and the hello kitty umbrella :) At least it is not the purple elephant that I have resorted to using! You have such beautiful kiddos!! Just love them!! I am glad that things are starting to become more settled!!!

Dani on March 7, 2008 at 10:24 PM said...

Serves Emma right, for stepping on Nate. However, from the pics her washing in the toliet appears to have done the trick in cleaning her up. :)

Gary B. on March 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM said...

Apparently Nate already has better aim that you ever did (in basketball). :p

amber on March 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM said...

Hardy Har Har, Gary. :)

Kayla on March 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM said...

You keep me laughing with all your stories and antics. I love to read whatever you have to say. Thanks for sharing your crazy life.

Erin Faubus on March 9, 2008 at 12:03 AM said...

Amber - This is Erin Norton (now Faubus)...my mom called me the other day just to tell me about your blog (which is incredible considering she can barely turn the computer on!) and I checked it immediately... Oh my goodness, I can't believe how long it's been since I have seen you...you're family is precious! Absolutely precious. I probably spent an hour looking at your amazing pictures of your beautiful children and reading about your life. I just recently started a blog and have just now become an avid blog-checker and yours is already one of my favorites! I am glad to see you are doing so well, and I hope that little Nathan's kidneys get better.

Erin

momof2princesses on March 9, 2008 at 12:11 AM said...

Loved the picture painted, with the umbrella! I'm sorry about his kidney's... I'll be keeping him in prayer that it clears up on it's own & quickly!
Poor Emma & the pee! lol

Dana on March 9, 2008 at 8:57 PM said...

Amber,
If he gets any cuter I am just going to have to steal him through the computer screen!!! I am so thankful that the girls are as wonderful with him as they are. I hope I get the same results in a few months!! I will definitely pray for Nate and his kidneys. I absolutely believe in the power of prayer!

Beth on March 10, 2008 at 9:30 AM said...

I love the toilet and the kitty umbrella!!

I hope the kidneys will revolve on their own!!

Beth

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez