Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Fairness


I had my 6 week post-partum check-up with my OB yesterday...which means that my little man is already 6 weeks old. Hard to believe. It was really great to see my doctor since we had been through so much with her through my pregnancy with Nathan...she has been such a blessing to us in so many ways over the past 6 months, and I am truly thankful for this woman as my doctor. For those of you who may be new to our life's journal (a much more sophisticated word than "blog"), when I was pregnant with Nate, he had 2 markers for a genetic abnormality that is usually indicative of Down Syndrome. Because of this, we have not been shocked regarding the tests they are having to run on him due to his current symptoms...saddened, but not shocked.

When Nathan was born with no signs of having Down Syndrome, we were all delighted that this trial seemed to be at it's end. So, when I had to tell my OB of Nathan's current situation, she was evidently saddened and concerned for us. She was very sweet and helpful in our conversation, but she did say something that had me pondering on my drive home. She said very sincerely, "It's just not fair for you and Jay."

Honestly, I have never viewed this situation as being "not fair". When I see that phrase, I am usually taken back to my childhood when the times that I would experiment by using those two words would quickly be reprimanded with "Well, life's not fair." And it's true. Life's not fair. But we have never been promised fairness.

When I was a teenager, I wanted so badly to catch a glimpse of my life in the future. Who was my husband? How many children did we have? Where did we live? Was I happy? Was I healthy? Oh, life would be so much easier if I just knew what to expect. After a little "wishing" that I could see my future, I soon realized that if I knew what lie ahead of me for the rest of my life, I would no longer rely on the Lord for guidance and wisdom in the decisions and circumstances that I would face along the way. I would no longer be faithful.

It's that same thing with the fairness of life. If life were the same for everyone...if it were fair, we would no longer look to the Lord to guide us; we would no longer praise and thank him for his mercy, we would no longer rely on him for strength to get through everyday trials. We would no longer have the relationship we are meant to have with our God. We would immediately just give ourselves credit and ownership of our accomplishments. If life were fair, the sweetness of heaven...of living with Christ...would vanish entirely. We would no longer desire a life with our Heavenly Father.

So, no, life isn't fair. We have a child who could possibly have a life-long disability; our neighbor lost his wife to breast cancer a few months ago; someone else may be having marital problems; another may have financial difficulties, and another may have trouble conceiving a child. All of God's children have daily trials they are facing, but doesn't that make the thought of heaven that much sweeter? Where we will live for eternity in complete bliss and happiness with our God...without the trials of life. What an incredible thought!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

12 comments:

Beth on April 8, 2008 at 12:17 PM said...

Amber,

As usual your words have touched my heart. No matter what we may face we have a heavenly Father who is with us. We all have difficult times we must go through.

One of my favorite hymns says, The bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower. Having had to wait longer for our girls, I can truly say the flower has been so sweet.

May God continue to be with you and fill each of you with His peace. It is after all, a peace that passeth all understanding.

Tara on April 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM said...

So very true, Amber! I needed that little sermon today, so thanks!

Meg said...

Beautiful post, Amber. Thanks for the inspiration today

Kathy said...

God has blessed you with wisdom way beyond your years. Thank you for the post. I think we would all do well to think on these things.

Sis Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sister Amber and Brother Jay...WOW...That was so incredible to read. I have been so uplifted by your words. I know that the Lord is with you all because it is so evident in your writings. I know that He will continue to bless you all as He has already done. I know that I am blessed from your family testimony of faith. Thank the Lord for you all. I can't imagine our life without you. Praise the Lord...come quickly...
All our love,
Sister Dina

Tammy on April 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM said...

Dear Amber,
Your wisdom greatly surpasses your years. You lived with your mom and dad in West Texas when you were a baby and that's the only time I got to be around you. It is amazing how fast time has flown. God has certainly blessed you and your families, and I know He will continue to lead you in His ways with His grace and providence.
Love and prayers,
Tammy

Emily on April 8, 2008 at 10:54 PM said...

Oh yes, it will be glorious won't it! Great post Amber. I can't wait to meet my Father!

su on April 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM said...

Dearest Amber! And if life was fair, we wouldn't see and feel God's love in one of His sweet children, You. Only God can bless one to love the way you do. And we then can see Him more clearly which blesses us all! Thank you Dear Sister.
S. Mizell

Jonatha on April 9, 2008 at 9:36 AM said...

That is an awesome post - so very true! God has given you great perspective through all of your trials lately. Thanks for sharing - I always enjoy your posts!

megan russell on April 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM said...

Wonderful post - chock full of truth... thanks for sharing what you are learning through this process.
Praying for your family!

Trina on April 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM said...

Amber that was beautiful. I really needed that today. You and your family continue to be in our prayers.

Jennifer on April 9, 2008 at 10:04 PM said...

You have such an amazing skill to put these thoughts into words. Thank you, I needed these exact words and that Bible verse tonight.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez