Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More of the same


Nathan had a boat load of blood taken today for a whole slew of tests. We were sent to one lab where I personally watched 2 phlebotomist's eyes pop out of their heads and roll around on the floor when they saw all the tests the neurologist wanted performed and how much blood they were going to have to take from this 9 pound sack of potatoes. They immediately sent me over to a different lab located beside the biggest hospital I have ever been to where they obviously had phlebotomists who had a very good grip on their eye balls.

Our Pulmonologist called this morning to tell us that the geneticist didn't want to see us unless the neurologist later decided we needed to get some genetic testing. The neurologist does want to see Nathan...and obviously see LOTS of his blood results. Unfortunately, our Pulmonologist's secretary called me later today to tell me that the Neurology department is currently setting up appointments for new patients in the not-so-close month of SEPTEMBER! Dude, seriously? She said not to be alarmed when they set up that appt for us because "our people will call their people and get something a wholeheckofalot sooner for us". She didn't really say it like that, but I thought quotations there would make that sentence easier to read.

She also contacted Physical Therapy to put us on their list...though, I've heard that it's a pretty penny of a wait as well. Don't think that I haven't wondered if I could just show up to these places and show them how stinkin' adorable my son is in hopes that we could cut to the front of the line. It could so totally work too. I mean, he is the cutest thing since sliced bread.

All jokes aside, the emotions of all of this pretty much run the gamut. Just in one day, I have gone from feeling incredibly impatient because we can't get in and find out what is wrong with Nate TODAY...to being completely frightened that any of the tests they ran today will come back abnormal. In one minute, I want so bad to know what is wrong with our son so we can know what to expect for his and our future. And the very next minute, I don't want to know, but I want to hold him and enjoy him and look at him like everything is perfectly okay. Currently, I'm nervous. I feel like I am about to go to the dentist or I have just gotten the talk of "wait until your father comes home". It feels like someone is sitting right on my chest and I can hardly get a deep breath. I don't want any more bad news, but I am prepping myself for anything.

Nathan was a trooper today. He gets so ticked off each time they put a tourniquet on his arm, but he stops screaming the instant they take it off. He's been through so much in his short little life. He's already so brave and strong.

10 comments:

oh amanda on April 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM said...

Wow. Poor little Nate. I just keep thinking that all the turmoil you guys went thru while you were pregnant was kind of a "practice" (for lack of a much better word) of what's going on now. Look how well you guys came thru that! I just believe we're going to see a miracle in Nate's life NOW, too!

Always praying for you guys! (((hugs)))

Amanda on April 1, 2008 at 8:56 PM said...

(((HUGS))) Amber for you and Nate.

september on April 1, 2008 at 9:52 PM said...

(((Amber & Nate)))

Poor little man--I just hate having to watch them go through tests. He does sound like a trooper, though--this is just toughening him up for all the great things he's going to accomplish in life!

Re: the physical therapy...is it possible to go through Early Intervention? If there is a genuine problem/delay they're required by law to do an evaluation within a certain number of days (I believe it's 45, though in the two evals we've had with Davis it's been around 2 weeks) and if you qualify they begin therapies immediately.

I'll be thinking and praying for you guys.

Pam on April 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM said...

We are thinking of you daily, and continue to keep you and little man in our thoughts and prayers. Keep strong and we will stay strong in prayer!!All our love!

Katie on April 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM said...

:( I'm so sorry, Amber!! Praying for the little man...

Meg said...

(((Hugs))) Your family is in my prayers.

pamela said...

That poor little trooper of yours. Praying LOTS for your whole family, especially that little bundle of yours.

Dana on April 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM said...

Amber,
You are right about one thing. He is definitely the cutest thing since sliced bread! I hope that you will feel some resolve after the blood test results! I know it is ten times worse waiting on your son's results rather than your own. We are praying for Nathan daily and trust that God is holding him in His everlasting arms and upholding you in the shadow of His wings!

Ashley on April 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM said...

We continue to pray for you guys daily. Looking at those wonderful pictures totally takes your mind off all of the other trials you guys are going through right now. Please don't hesitate to call us if you need anything!
Ash and Phillip

Anonymous said...

Amber, I just wanted to let you know he is adorable!!!! Love all the great pictures of Nate and the girls. My prayers for Nate, are many every day. We went thru something alittle like this when Joseph was 11 years old. He ran 106 degree temps 3 times a day. No doctors could figure out why, this included all the Dr.s at Childrens in Birmingham. It went on for three months with them telling us all the horrible things it could be. (scarey stuff, right?) We found out people all over were holding us up in prayers (what a blessing that was as you know) Finally we found a great Dr. who we thought could help us, but we were to have to wait 1 month, we didn't know if Joseph could make it that long (he had lost weight and was so weak). Everyone started praying and the next day his office called and told us we had an appt. the next day. This dr. did know what was wrong, by our description of his problems- he had JRA. He was put on Meds and 1 year later he went into remission. He still has problems sometimes but he would never let you know. I guess its different with one so small, but I wanted you to know I understand the fear of not knowing, and the great fear of knowing, its so so so very hard but I know you will make it to the other side of this, it will not be easy. God will give you and Jay the GRACE you need to take care of precious little Nate, after all, God placed Nate in your LOVING HANDS. I Love Ya'll so much!!
Jolees Granna (Teresa)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez