Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Mother's Prayer


Lord, give me the sanity I need when I fluff up the loaf of bread my child just sat on and as I pick up the 24 individual crackers spread out on the table where my children just ate the peanut butter out of the middle and left every single cracker from the packs I gave them.

Give me extra strength to hold a crying baby who is obviously starving while I also hold and comfort a crying child who has fallen and skinned her knees.

Oh Lord, grant me wisdom to know how to intervene during the repetitive sibling spats that are seemingly endless these days.
Heighten my ability to find out why the kids' bathroom continuously smells like a port-a-potty right now.

Bless me with temporary wax build-up to muffle the exhausting cries of the one who keeps spitting out his paci while I am driving.

Lord, grant me the power of invisibility while I drag my tantruming child out of the store and through the parking lot because I asked her to take off her hat so I could pay for it, resulting in an escalating fit causing me to tell the sales clerk to take it back because my child does not deserve this new gift. Darken my vehicle windows a little more while I calmly teach my child that this behavior is unacceptable.
Give me energy that caffeine no longer provides in tackling the daily grind with so little sleep.

Give me patience. Oh Lord, how I need patience...when my name is called over and over and over through the course of the day, when the hair that I just fixed is a mess again, when I am trying to find a beloved toy that is a must in my child's ability to get herself to sleep, when I am picking up the trash that has scattered across the freshly mopped floor after the trash can has been tipped over, when playing a seemingly unending game of Chutes and Ladders.

But most of all, Lord, give me the ability to be thankful for these days...even the ones that are tougher than others.
Amen.

15 comments:

Kayla on May 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM said...

Oh how I understand those days minus two. I don't know how you are still sane with three.

Beth on May 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM said...

That was great!!! She is just beautiful!!!!

Kim on May 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM said...

Amen, amen, amen!

Just one question: when do you have time to fix your hair and mop your floors??

oh amanda on May 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM said...

I laughed AND cried!

A Single Mom's Life on May 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM said...

Love it! I am so jealous how you keep her posing! LOL Beautiful!

Wanda on May 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM said...

I LOVE YOU EMMA!
Wandy

Wanda on May 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM said...

You have captured Emma! That's her!

Meg said...

Amen to that!

I love those pictures of Emma, she is such a doll. Is it too early to arrange a marraige? ;)

Emily on May 1, 2008 at 9:10 PM said...

I envy your post writing ability. You've got me hooked. It's always nice to hear other mom's out there going through the same old stuff. Just glad I don't have three just yet : )

Jill Chandler on May 1, 2008 at 9:36 PM said...

Praying for you now, friend!
Love, Jill
PS The pictures are priceless!

momof2princesses on May 1, 2008 at 11:05 PM said...

That's a prayer that probably comes out of every mother's lips in any given day, lol. But you write it so well! Love those pictures of Emma, espeically that last one!

Kelly Spezzano on May 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM said...

Love the pics of emma! As for the prayer, you make motherhood sound like a fairytail! I can't wait! LOL

Dani on May 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM said...

I love to read your posts. It reminds me of the country song that's out right now, about how people are always rushing to the next stage in life. The line that sticks out is that "you're going to miss these days." You really seem, in all the stress of everyday happenings, be savoring each moment.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sister Amber,
Oh how sweet are these days. I sometimes think that I would give almost anything to be able to go back for just a little while and really enjoy what I so much miss. This season that I am in with Sarah and Kate, I know in 10 years I will miss as much as I miss the season you are in right now. Sarah is 14 and Kate is 10...where did the days and years go. I love you all!
Love in our Savior,
Sister Dina :-)

Brandy on May 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM said...

You sure have a way with words. I love reading your posts.
Emma has such a personality, as all your children do. I love seeing it through their pictures.
I think we have the same glider.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez