Tuesday, June 24, 2008

4 months


My darling son,

Happy 4 months, Nate. I know that it seems to be a little insignificant that you are another month older, but that means so much to me...more than I ever thought it would. Oh, it has been a wonderful month, Nathan. The Lord has blessed you and us abundantly this month, and I treasure this time he has put you and the girls in our lives even more than I did before. You are special, my son.
You have gained strength in leaps and bounds this month. You are a curious little fella who loves to push from our shoulder just enough so that you can see the world around you. You love to stand in our laps, and your legs are extremely strong. You are pushing up very well and enjoy laying on your stomach so you can watch your sisters at play.Today's 4 month well visit with our pediatrician put you at 13 pounds, 6 ounces and 25 inches long. You are a chunk-a-lunk in our eyes, but still on the smaller scale in relation to others kiddos your age. In the words of your pediatrician, "It is simply amazing to see the difference in him now versus a month ago. We may never figure out what was causing all of Nathan's problems, but the way he is now is truly an answer to prayer." I totally agree with her, son. It is completely evident over and over again that the Lord answered our prayers for you...not only evident to us and those around us, but evident to your doctors and therapists as well. When one of the front office ladies (one of the gals who wants to hold you each time we go) at your therapy place found out that you didn't have SMA, she instantly teared up and started kissing your head over and over again while saying "Thank the Lord, thank the Lord, thank the Lord."
Today, you were diagnosed with pectus excavatum. We have noticed over the past couple of weeks that the middle part of your chest sinks in pretty far at times and just seems flimsy, and upon investigation at last week's PT session, Maria said that she couldn't find your sternum. She gave me a lot of info on pectus excavatum and told me to ask your pediatrician about it at today's appt. As soon as I asked her about it, she confirmed the physical therapist's suspicions and said that you did indeed have this congenital deformity. The lack of strength in your trunk area seems to be causing the defect to be more pronounced, but we hope that with continued therapy and exercises, it will start to develop better over time. This is one more puzzle piece, Nate...and we are still praying for you diligently. You are special to us, my son.
Gone are the days when all you needed for entertainment was a ceiling fan to watch going round and round. You are reaching for toys with improved accuracy every day, and you are even pulling them to your mouth some. But if there is someone for you to look at and flirt with, you will ignore toys alltogether to spend a little time studying whoever is close to you. You love people. You love faces. You stare intently at eyes and mouth and the features of everyone around you. And if that person glances in your direction, you will grin from ear to ear in delight. I often wonder what is going through that head of your's. What are you thinking about? What are you studying so intently about others?

Oh, you are so sweet. I just love putting youd head full of growing fuzz against my chest and taking in your baby smell. I love kissing your face and watching you try to return the affection with an open-mouthed slobbery goodness of a kiss. I love the gutteral laugh you give when I tickle your neck with my chin. I love how you greet me with the sweetest smile ever when I get you from your crib. I love how you talk to yourself when you look in the mirror. I love watching you grow and develop...get stronger, reach milestones.
I nursed you for the very last time a couple of nights ago. You are still waking once in the middle of the night, and I was nursing you duing this time each night because it was a whole heckofalot easier than making a bottle with sleep-filled eyes. A couple of nights ago, I realized that the end of my nursing days was here and decided to stay awake and enjoy that last session with you before the cow was put out to pasture one last time. It was a good era while it lasted.

I love you Nathan. I am thankful for you. You are special to us, my son. Happy 4 months!

18 comments:

mollie on June 24, 2008 at 11:48 PM said...

I Just Love him.
did they diagnose him with "fatty-cheeck-and-chin-ism" I think he has it!
precious boy!!

Chrissy Mae on June 25, 2008 at 1:45 AM said...

Man....he is a cutie...:) They get big entirely to quick don't they. I wish I would have thought to do the same thing with the bear on the chair... it is amazing to see the transformation.

I hope the mysterious fever has gone down to... :)

Elisabeth Nixon Photography on June 25, 2008 at 7:16 AM said...

Happy 4 months sweet baby nathan! You are a miracle and there are SO many people around the world praying for you and your family! We all are rejoicing with them today! :)

Mom of TWO Princesses on June 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM said...

Happy 4 months, Nathan! He's such a doll and I can never get enough of his pictures. I'm glad he's doing so well. And I'm glad you have another piece of the puzzle filled in. Continuing to pray for continued strength & developement!

Jennifer on June 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM said...

"oh my" that little one just warm my heart....too too precious. Glad your finding out some answers. love the updates

Doris on June 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM said...

I'm just smiling throughout the post and continuing to thank God.

~sydney~ on June 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM said...

Happy 4 months, Nathan! We love you so so much and continue to pray for you and your family daily! What a beautiful blog, Amber! You are such a sweet and beautiful mother!

Autryville on June 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM said...

Happy 4 months!! Our boys are growing fast(Luke's 7 months), though you do such a better job of documenting Nathan's life. I stink at that. Hoping for a really great memory some day...:) What a little peanut! I'm sure Marty and Rachel will get a kick out of the size difference in their little nephews! He looks so cute and chubby! He's compact, right?!:)

Two of the Taylor boys have pectus excavatum, of two different degrees, so I'm sure Melissa would love to talk to you about it! It's one of those medical issues that's always interested the nurse in me, and in my reading about it, the treatment has come a long, long way. It's amazing how much more simpler the correction is now, and for that I'm so thankful. I hope that as each day comes, he continues to get stronger, and that the Lord will continue to bless you and your precious family.

Michelle on June 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM said...

I swear Lucas and Nathan have the same hairline! LOL

Jessi on June 25, 2008 at 9:59 PM said...

Happy 4 months Nathan! I love seeing the growing pictures...the time goes so quickly. Your blog is a reminder of how precious time really is!

Christine on June 26, 2008 at 12:07 AM said...

His eyes in the black and white while on the belly, something about them, old soul maybe...beautiful.

Mama Kraus on June 26, 2008 at 12:36 AM said...

Amber,
My name is Mandi and I am a friend of Krischa Pilcher. Anyway, she told me about both of your sites and I have been following along diligently. I sincerely believe that things like what has been going on with Nathan is one way God can prove to the medical community that HE is ultimately the one still in charge. He can change a presumed diagnosis in the blink of an eye if it is needed to get someone's attention. You might never know, this side of heaven, why Nathan went through all of this, but always know that he is serving a purpose for God! We at The Kraus House are praying for that precious little boy and for his big sisters! I think they might be in trouble when really gets going!!!! He has a very suspicious twinkle in his eyes!

Staci on June 26, 2008 at 8:33 AM said...

He just lights up the screen with his smile!

Julie on June 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM said...

Happy 4 monthes Nathan. You are very hansome young man. Praying for you and your family daily.

Anonymous said...

Amber, it's been a while since I had a chance to check your blog. But I just want to say thank you for sharing this experience....it has been an encouragement to me to see you leaning on the everlasting arms and such a blessing to hear of the Lord's faithfullness and mercy and to see "the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living" as He has strengthened your son and given you all grace. Still praying for you all. Betsy

Brandy on June 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM said...

Happy 4 months Nathan! You have the chubbiest checks and how your whole face smiles.
What a relief about having a diagnosis and that there is treatment! Awesome!!!

The Princess on June 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM said...

Glad to know that this diagnosis is not severe...we still pray for you daily and love you all dearly!

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home on July 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM said...

I just emailed Jacob about this condition. I'm almost positive this is what a friend of his had, who had surgery to correct it in high school.

I always love the bear photos each month. :-)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez