Friday, June 20, 2008

Things I learned while on vacation


~Abby hides under the covers each night so we won't see that she still sucks her thumb to go to sleep, but she will be the first one to pipe up and say what a big girl she is since she "stopped" sucking her thumb. You know, because "thumb-sucking is for babies like Emma and Nate". ~Since bear-bear made a surprise debut at the beach one day, he was engulfed in such a funky odor for rest of the trip that we couldn't stand within 10 feet of Emma. For the future, hotel-provided shampoo and a hotel-provided sink make for a great make-shift washing machine for funky stuffed animals.
~Nathan may just be the sweetest and most laid back baby EVER!
~The exact moment that you get "settled" at the beach or pool, someone is going to need to go to the bathroom. Note Exhibit A.
~If Emma falls asleep for 2 minutes at 6:00pm, she will still be bounching off the walls at 9:00pm. At least it gave me someone to watch the sunset with while Jay was off receiving some really cool award at this meeting's banquet. Go baby! You're a BEAST! ~Speaking of sunsets...one of my favorite parts of each day this week, and it was just right outside our balcony. This year's trip to Marco Island was such a relaxing and wonderful trip. It is seriously one of my favorite places to go, and I look forward to heading down there for a few days each summer. The girls enjoyed the sugar-soft sands and the clear water at the beach, and Abby especially enjoyed the water slide at the pool this year...she counted every single time she slid down it. Emma also slid down it once and I caught her at the end as she had the look of terror written all over her face. And she will tell anyone about it... "I chied, chied, chied. I no likey the slide." Ah yes, something else I learned on this trip was that when Mama gets to "sleep in a few minutes longer", daddy is out on the patio feeding the girls oreo cookies and peanuts for breakfast. All I could was laugh when he said that Emma ate A LOT for breakfast that morning. To put me in that camp too, I realized that upon arrival at our home tonight, the girls had consumed probably about 4 ounces of liquid all day. Nice. Go mom! I also learned that no matter how cute a picture may be, jumping for the camera is not...I repeat, IS NOT worth breaking a toe over. Seriously! This cute, and yet not all that technically savvy picture, broke my stinkin' toe. It's the little piggy that had no roast beef on my left foot...although I really wished I would have packed it some of that left-over post-baby percocet to use over the past few days. As I was rushing to pick up the camera, that piggy that had no roast beef got caught on the leg of the beach chair Abby and Nate are sitting in...and I instantly knew that it was broken. It took a good couple of hours for the black line to form all the way around my toe, and half of my foot was swollen and bruised by the time I woke up the next morning. All for a stinkin' mediocre shot. The things we'll do to freeze memories. Nathan was so great all week. He can still sleep anywhere as long as his left thumb is attached and suckable, and he is just so easy-going. I know that he was really glad to be home and in his own bed tonight, but this trip was really easy with him. The girls loved the trip. We played at the beach and pool every morning, came inside and took naps during the daily Florida thunderstorms we love so much in the summertime, went to dinner or ordered-in, and then went back swimming before bedtime. After a shelly year at the beach last year, it was soft as ever this year, and the coquinas and shells that the girls love gathering were gorgeous and plentiful. The water was so clear that you could see the fish nibbling at your legs, and we even saw a few dolphins as we were leaving the island today. We made our yearly Marco-excursion to Cold Stone where the girls enjoyed ice cream no matter if they finished their dinner or not. We went to breakfast this morning at the same spot we have gone the past 3 years, and I realized that I loved that this meeting was held at the same location year after year...we know what to expect and look forward to when we go down there. And we love it!!
The trip was what we needed. We may be a little exhausted from the trip and vacation, but we are rested. I was able to read one of the books I took and start the other one...something that I seldom do at home, and I enjoyed not having to worry about if the clothes were folded or the dishasher was unloaded. All of our kiddos seemed to enjoy themselves, and it was nice to not have to worry about Nathan's health all that much while we were there. All in all, it was a wonderful time we had as a family...a trip that has created many memories that will be not easily be forgotten. I have tons more pictures from this trip that will more than likely show up at random times over the past week or so.

18 comments:

leigh on June 21, 2008 at 9:47 AM said...

We just experienced a similar trip with pool, slide, shells, sunset and all...except broken toe. So sorry.
Your family is just so adorable.

Kayla on June 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM said...

What great pictures. I'm sorry you broke your toe. I have done that before and I was amazed how badly that little thing can hurt. When I looked at the picture of you holding Nate, I can't believe how much he looks like Emma did. I can't wait to see how he matures in the next few years.

Other Mother on June 21, 2008 at 10:16 AM said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much (except for the toe). The sunset is beautiful!

Mom of TWO Princesses on June 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM said...

More beautiful pictures & I'm sorry you broke your toe! I'm hoping it's healing quickly.

Glad you all had such a great time.

Chrissy Mae on June 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM said...

Ouch.... I broke a toe on one foot and my ankle on the other 3 years ago... while I was trying to walk up to the pulpit... in front of everyone lol... my legs got caught up in my purse handle and the rest is history lol... so I feel your pain...
But I am glad that you had a good time on your trip. I can't wait to go to the beach. I wish there was one closer to me lol... and not in another state...:)
Great picturse like always...I love seeing your pictures...:)

september on June 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip and I'm so glad you were able to get some r&r in there.

Cori gets up with our kids every Saturday morning and they know that part of the ritual is having pop tarts and chocolate milk for breakfast.

~sydney~ on June 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM said...

I'm so glad u guys had such a great time! I wish I was at the beach! Thanks a lot for introducing the word "beast" to my parents! They use it ALL THE TIME! no joke! They were taking me and a group of friends to the movies last night and really OVER USED the word! Thanks a lot! I love you guys and am so sorry bout the toe! Kiss the kids for me and we hope to see you soon!

Merrie on June 21, 2008 at 8:00 PM said...

Sounds like heaven -- so happy you enjoyed yourselves. Great pics, though sorry about your toe. I've broken one before, and I don't care how small it is -- that hurts!

Jill Chandler on June 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM said...

Welcome home, friend!
Love, Jill

Dana on June 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM said...

Sounds and looks like a picture-perfect mini-vacation! :)

The Whitsitt Family on June 22, 2008 at 3:18 AM said...

Looks like you had a really nice time. The pictures are great!

His Mercy Endureth Forever on June 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM said...

Sis. Amber, the pictures are beautiful...even the broken toe shot. We have been down to that same place on Marco a couple years in a row too...I don't think there is a better beach in FL!

Autryville on June 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM said...

So glad you got to go away and have fun! When we went to Marco with my parents growing up, there was no Cold Stone, nowhere to order-in from and no water slides!:) It truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth, though, that clear water and powdery beach.

Still just sooooooooooooo thankful for Nathan....

Brandy on June 23, 2008 at 8:15 AM said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, minus the broken toe.
Congrat's on the finding time to run.

Emily on June 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM said...

Ouch! I hurt, but didn't break, a toe 5 weeks ago and it still hurts like heck. Toes take forever to heal. What a bugga!

Loved the long post with lots of pics- great!! Your kids have got to be some of the cutest ever!

Staci on June 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM said...

What a fun trip with your family! I'm sure you needed it after the last few months!

VanderbiltWife on June 24, 2008 at 3:22 PM said...

Your posts almost always make my cry...just the beauty you capture in those three gorgeous children. Sorry about the toe!

The Princess on June 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM said...

Just so you know...I had to do the piggy rhyme just to figure out which toe it was you broke...and this had to be done before I could read the rest of the post :). I am glad you all had a great time, injury included.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez