Thursday, July 24, 2008

5 months


I hold your head against my chest and rock you back and forth. Some days you like to lay so still against me and suck your thumb, and I treasure these moments. I stroke the hair on your head that is growing long enough to play with...I rub it over and over and wonder how you will look like when all of your hair comes in. I look down at your dark eyelashes batting up and down and you look up at me with eyes that are dark grey with a hint of green in them. I love your dark eyes...they are soft and kind. They say so much about you. You smile with your thumb still in your mouth and your eyes squint up from the outside in. I put my hand on the side of your face and give you a mini-squeeze while pulling you tighter against my chest.Your cheeks are so scrumptious that I have the urge to lean down and take a bite out of them. What we used to call your "chicken legs" have been covered with a nice layer of chubby rolls. I open your tiny fist and fit my finger in the palm of your hand as I count the little dimples that cover your knuckles. I love those pudgy hands. I do this each and every time I have the chance to rock you...I want to soak up as much of your babyhood as I can.
Sometimes I feel like we have been on this journey of your life for so long, and other times I feel like I just gave birth to you last week. How did 5 months pass by so quickly?This month will forever be known as the month of the heart monitor. You've adjusted to it quite well and don't seem to mind the belt fastened around your chest day in and day out. The girls and I do a little dance each time I unstrap you from the monitor and proclaim "You're free, Nathan! You're free!" It now feels strange to hold you without the belt protruding from your clothes during the rare occurrences when you don't have the monitor on. I look forward to the day when we can toss the thing back into the hands of the ones who gave it to us, but I am thankful for the information it has given us as you have worn it.You are strong, my son. Somedays I pick you up and am amazed at how solid you are finally starting to feel. Other days, not so much, but I pray that the "solid" days continue to increase in frequency. You are still gaining weight quite nicely...a Dr's appt a couple of days ago put you on the scale at 14lbs. 10oz.You love your sisters. Abby makes you laugh on a daily basis and you really don't seem to mind her getting right in your face every time she talks to you. You awarded her "in your face" antics by spitting up in her mouth this month. I gave you big high fives afterwards, and then tried my hardest to coax Abby into not throwing up. It still makes me laugh when I think back on that. Emma was highly traumatized by the incident and will always utter "Don't pit on me, Nate!" if you are anywhere in her vicinity.You spoiled me last week with sleeping through the night for 2 nights in a row...and then brought me back to reality when you started waking up 2-3 times a night again. What's up, little dude? You still sleep a lot during the day, taking 2 big naps that are usually 2-4 hours in length and then a little 30min nap in the late afternoon. I wonder if this is normal. In fact, we scrutinize every little thing you do and wonder if it is you just being a baby or a result of whatever seems to be wrong. I hate that we do that.You have the sweetest personality and disposition, but you also have a hot little temper that seems to erupt every evening after bath time while I am scurrying to snap your pajamas on the right snaps. Or if I am moving a little too slowly in making your bottle. Or if I have waited too long to put you down for bed. But that's about it...you are sweet and loving and smiley and willing to cuddle as much as your mama desires. Thank you for that, hun. I love those moments.

12 comments:

Toni on July 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM said...

Happy 5months Nate!

Owl of the Desert on July 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM said...

Your kids are SO CUTE, Amber! I love the pictures you've taken of Nate with the teddy bear. It really shows how much he's grown! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so thankful to hear how wonderful he is doing.

-Laura
Birmingham, AL

willblogforshoes on July 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM said...

He is such a cutie! Happy Five Months!

Shanna said...

He's getting so big - and he's just so adorable! He's bigger than both my boys were at 5 months as far as weight, and neither one of mine sat up at all until nearly 8 months.
Don't be too critical of him! He's just right!!!!
Happy 5 months Nate!!

Dana on July 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM said...

There is no way he is five months old! Wow time does get by in the blink of an eye doesn't it! He looks so much "older" in this months picture with the teddy bear. He is turning into a little man. He is precious Amber, and so are you!

Other Mother on July 24, 2008 at 5:00 PM said...

There is so much change in his head and face this month! He's no longer a baby, but a little boy! Happy Birthday, Nate!

Mom of TWO Princesses on July 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM said...

Happy 5 months, Nate!!

Tara on July 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM said...

Happy 5 months handsome! It seems like just yesterday, I was holding you at the hospital when you were born..Wow,time flies! I have enjoyed watching you get stronger and stronger over these 5 months, buddy! We are looking forward to your 1st sleepover at our house this weekend!

Michelle on July 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM said...

I can't believe our boys are 5 months either - before you know it they'll be celebrating their 1st birthday!

happy 5 months Nate!

Chrissy Mae on July 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM said...

I just wanted to let you know that my baby girl is almost 5 months old and she sleeps tons during the day. About the same that you said. But she does it in more increments. She takes like (4-5) 1 hour naps.... and a few little cat naps throughout the day... I worried if it was normal and my pediatrician reassured me that she was just fine... just wanted to tell you that... :)

Laura on July 25, 2008 at 7:32 AM said...

Happy 5 months to such a special little man!

Jennifer on July 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM said...

hey i just wanted to let you know I have 4 children and they all slept with two big naps and one small cat nap after dinner(20-30min) and they are all fine.
I'm a nurse and really by the general rule of thumb at 5 months they are to be sleeping 15-16 hours out of the day...so that is only 8 hours of wake time...but all kids have different sleep patters so this varies widely!!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez