Tuesday, July 15, 2008

To help me remember


I hear the pitter-patter of four little feet on the kitchen floor and peek at the alarm clock on the nightstand...6:50am. It's rare if they sleep past 7. Nathan slept through the night for the third time in his little life...I had forgotten how good it was to sleep 8 straight hours. My eyes still feel heavy. If I am really still, the girls will curl up on either side of me and suck their thumbs for a while. It should buy me at least 15 more minutes.I fall back asleep instantly as cold feet gravitate to my direction to warm up. Just as I had thought, the girls become restless exactly 15 minutes later. "Wake up Mom! The sun's up. Wake up." "Hmmmmmmmmmm." "Dood Mornin' Mama. Dood Mornin'." "Hmmmmmmm." After a little poking and prodding at my lifeless body, they pull out the big guns...manually opening my eyelids. I can't help but smile at the eruption of their belly laughs when I move my eyeball from side to side as they take turns opening my eyelids. I want to remember these times.

There are things the kids do everyday that prompt the same internal response: I want to remember these times.

Like when Emma strips down to her skivvies and slaps her buddha belly while singing, "I nakey, It's pouring, the old man is snoring..." Or when she tells others that "Daddy swims nakey" because he swims without a shirt on. Yeah, try to explain that one to his mom.I want to remember Abby teaching herself how to hula-hoop in a day...and really actually doing it. And the entourage of stuffed animals she takes with her absolutely wherever she goes: Sarah, Bella, Fuzzy, Beavery, Divey, and one that she adopted yesterday but is currently nameless because she thinks that every name I come up with is stupid, and vice-versa. And how cute she looks in her Daddy's over-sized t-shirts that she insists on wearing for pajamas almost every night.I want to remember the girls wanting to stay in the bath after the water has drained so they can "body-skate" on the slick, soapy bathtub floor. And how they play mama and baby and come up to me saying "Pretend that you have never seen my baby before" to which I have to act all surprised and giddy to see this little 2 year old sucking on a paci and saying "goo-goo gah-gah" all the time while her "pretend mother" beams with pride.

These are wonderful times. These are times I want to always remember.

8 comments:

mollie on July 15, 2008 at 6:01 PM said...

Why you gotta go and make me cry??? I am on vacation and crying isn't on my agenda!! As always, ADORABLE photos!

Mom of TWO Princesses on July 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM said...

A beautiful post! And it's the same in my house, minus the adorable baby boy! Love the pictures.

RaChel on July 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM said...

i absolutely love your photos!

StephthefutrRxDr on July 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM said...

When I read the part about them manually opening your eyelids, I had to laugh out loud, and I was supposed to be being mad at my husband LOL I ruined it. I loved this post and the pics too.

Emily on July 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM said...

I need to do a copy cat post. I've only been blogging for 2 years and I already go back and re-read old posts numerous times. And I say "I know I'm going to forget this" too many times each day. I don't want to forget! Thanks Amber! I'm going to start jotting those times down.

Cassie on July 16, 2008 at 10:41 PM said...

such precious precious memories :) beautiful post!

Brandy on July 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM said...

Such sweet moments. I love blogs like that.
I can second that the sleep apnea monitor is loud enough to be heard in the next town.

Katie on July 22, 2008 at 7:35 AM said...

Hot DOG, Nathan's getting big! You can really tell when he's next to the others in these shots! And Abby looks like a little Prima Ballerina in that sundress, sitting so straight up. Such lovely posture. :) These are so sweet, I love the one of Jay reading to them!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez