Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Will someone come clean my playroom?


Nate hasn't been sleeping well lately, and my mind is the first to go in my sleep-deprived state. Every post that I have started over the past couple of days has just ended up being a jumbled pile of mess, so all you get is a post of pictures today...oh, and a little update: Nate's EKG went well last week. The print out reads: consider left atrial abnormality, but otherwise normal. I haven't heard from anyone on the official read, but I am guessing that no news is good news, right? He had an echo when he was 2 weeks old, so I think that they would have found any structural abnormalities in his left atrium then.Also, some people have asked a few questions about his breathing issues. The thing is that Nate looks healthy as a horsefly fully clothed...you really wouldn't have any idea that anything at all was wrong until you took off his shirt. You see, his respiratory muscles seem to be the most affected on his body, causing him to breathe using his stomach muscles when he is awake. Instead of his chest expanding with each breath, his stomach expands...his chest does not move. This causes him to take more shallow breaths which is what is causing his rapid respiratory rates (try saying that three times fast) which is what could be causing his rapid heart rate. Still with me here? It's all a little confusing. An enigma...that's what the little guy is. Anyway, I have caught what it looks like from time to time as I am taking pictures of him, but I usually just delete those pictures...here are a couple that were on the camera this week: He's doing great though. He is gaining a lot of strength in all areas except his respiratory muscles, and it is just so wonderful to see him looking so strong. He's a sweetie...I wouldn't have said that last night as he was playing in his crib at 1:00am, but he truly is a sweetheart.

(Oh, and I couldn't come up with a title, so I wrote the first thing that popped into my head. Any takers?)

11 comments:

Bekah on July 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM said...

Awww...those pictures make me want to play with his buddha belly. I'm very thankful that you starting to learn more about what is and isn't wrong with the little guy.

Emily on July 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM said...

Glad you're alright! I was starting to feel a a little Ferrell deprived and wondered what was up. Nathan in such a miracle, love seeing his happy face.

Amanda on July 22, 2008 at 5:00 PM said...

That's funny, James was up at the same time last night doing the same thing.......maybe they are conspiring together.....like a "boys that hate mommies" club or something!

Glad the EKG went well and I'll clean your play room if you'll clean my nursery!

Jill Chandler on July 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM said...

Hi!
I'm glad to know you guys are doing okay, and that the EKG was uneventful.
My kids have been helping with my very late spring cleaning... I'm sure they'd love to visit to escape my TO-DO list - especially if it's just one room you want cleaned!! :)
Love you all!

Toni on July 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM said...

Glad to hear things are going well.

Such Beauties!

willblogforshoes on July 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM said...

A beautiful enigma!

mollie on July 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM said...

If u find someone to clean your playroom, send them to my house when they are finished!

Katie on July 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM said...

You guys make the cutest kids. Period.

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's im_harrisons_mom here!
The second-from-last photo looks exactly like Harrison's little tummy used to. Looks like he has some rib flare? Used to give me the willies, picking him up and feeling those lower ribs sticking out. But it's going away as he builds up those core muscles. I never saw Harrison do anything like the bottom photo...he did most of his indrawing up around his collar bone/adam's apple.
All 3 kids are absolutely gorgeous...beautiful little family!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that 'solid feel'...I couldn't get enough of picking up other people's babies, just to compare to what Harrison felt like. At 19 months, I barely remember what loosey-goosey felt like. He gives me glimpses of that when he's tired, but otherwise he's a solid little wiggle-worm. It will come!
Cheers!
im_harrisons_mom

amber on July 24, 2008 at 11:02 PM said...

Yeah, the first picture shows a lot of his more classic "belly breathing", and yes, his ribs are starting to flare in the lower sections. The second picture shows where he also has a case of "sunken sternum" or "pectus excavatum". Our neurologist said that it is a result of his weak chest muscles...those muscles aren't able to keep his sternum up so it sinks down.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez