Sunday, August 24, 2008

6 months


My dearest Nathan,

Yesterday, you scooted around on the livingroom floor, found a toy you wanted to play with, and sat up straight so you could play with it easier. It was the first time you have sat up straight by yourself on a hard surface (in other words, somewhere other than the grass). I gasped and told you how big of a boy you were, and your whole face lit up with the biggest smile ever. Oh, it made my day.
Now granted, you still fall back and bump yo' noggin every once in a while, but even that is cute.
6 months, Nate. Half a year. Where did it all go? This month has been a good one. You started really moving along the floor with your inch-worm crawling method. If you really want something really bad (like something your sisters have), you can get going pretty darn fast. You still tire out after a short time and need to be picked up to catch your breath, but I love using those times to rock you and nuzzle my nose into your neck creases to make you laugh.
Many times this month, I have heard the loud shrill "Nafey! No, No! Don't get my..." I just laugh, and you just smile. For some bizarre reason, you use your energy bursts of super fast inch-wormin' every time you see the opportunity to tackle a dropped "Bear-Bear" or Abby's prized pink poodle. You love these two stuffed animals that your sisters have claimed as their "hands off" property to everyone else. Often throughout the day, I hear "No, Nafey! That's my bear-bear!" You're a clever little dude. I think you do it on purpose. You got your pestering qualities from your dad...and your oldest sister.You started eating baby food this month. You like bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, peas, and guava. Yes, guava. And I like when you eat guava too...it makes your poopy diapers smell rather tropical and exotic. Like you want to serve it on a platter with a pink umbrella stuck in it while you bask in the sunshine by the infinity pool. Dude, I'm serious.You do not like peaches...and chicken baby food. I don't blame you on the last one. It smelled like feet. Like old man fungus feet. You gagged so hard on the chicken that I thought you were going to throw up. It weren't purdy.I've had so much fun buying your baby food over the past couple of weeks. I just bought you some wonderfully appealing jars of food, and I can't wait to feed them to you. Mango, Papaya, Country Breakfast (this one had a ham on the front), Meuslix and Apples, Chicken Noodle and Sweet Potato, Corn Chowder, Stuffed Duck with a hint of lemon, Cedar Plank Salmon with capers and white wine pilaf. Okay, so they last 2 aren't on the shelves yet, but I think they would totally make great baby foods. But seriously, you are eating some 5 star baby foods compared to what they had when your sisters came up this route...like 2 years ago.
Okay, now let's talk little dude. You are 6 months old now...almost grown, right? So why do you still insist on waking up in the middle of the night once (and sometimes twice) to eat? Huh? Sweetly enough (for me anyways), Abby has been praying that you would sleep through the night so I could get more sleep. She picks up on every little thing, and I thought that was darling...and maybe a little suggestive that I would be a better mom if I got a bit more sleep. Hmmm, I need to think about that for a bit. But come on, Nate! Please sleep through the night. Pretty please. With sugar on top. And a cherry. And some sprinkles.Your sweet expressions continue to win my heart over from the moment you wake each morning until you hit the hay at bedtime. Your smile literally melts me...seriously, the feeling my heart gets when I see it can not be put into words. I crack up at how you can effortlessly raise your eyebrows up and down when you are flirting with whoever has won your attention at any given time. But the new thing this month has been your bottom lip...you don't like loud noises or harsh play, and when those things happen, you poke that bottom lip out a mile and furrow your brow for a good 5 seconds before the waterworks start. It is so pitiful that it is cute. Cute enough for us to torment you every once in a while and jump out to scare you when you know we will get "the lip". But then we shower you with hugs and kisses, so it's all good. The girls were watching a cartoon this morning that you were very interested in...and then up popped a cow on the TV screen...and it mooed rather loudly. Out came the lip, to which I laughed hysterically and then gave you the talk of "you need to toughen up, boy. You'll never be a cowboy if you are scared of cows."You are the sweetest thing ever. You still snuggle your head right into my chest when you are tired, and I soak up every bit of it I can. You still smile the biggest squinty-eyed smile every time you are able grasp our attention. You are inquisitive and loving and fun. These are wonderful days, my son. We have no idea what the future may hold for us, but I know that I will always be able to look back on these days and smile. These are happy days.

Happy 6 months, Nathan Andrew.

14 comments:

mollie on August 24, 2008 at 9:48 PM said...

So so sweet! Happy halfbirthday, Nate!

Jill Chandler on August 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM said...

Happy half-birthday, Baby Nathan!
Jill and Elizabeth

Christine on August 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM said...

"And I like when you eat guava too...it makes your poopy diapers smell rather tropical and exotic. Like you want to serve it on a platter with a pink umbrella stuck in it while you bask in the sunshine by the infinity pool. Dude, I'm serious."

OMG ~ Dude...you totally did not go THERE with the poop!! LOL!!! I am tears over this one!!! Happy half birthday Nate!!! Much love to you!!!

Kathy on August 24, 2008 at 11:40 PM said...

Happy 6 months Nate! I enjoyed your post Amber, I can feel your love come thru for your little wonder dude!

AmyG on August 25, 2008 at 6:09 AM said...

Happy 6 Months, Nate! He's as adorable as ever & it's so awesome to hear about his milestones!! Keep growing, little man!

dana on August 25, 2008 at 9:01 AM said...

If his 6 month pictures are THAT cute, I can tell you right now that I won't be able to handle the 1 year batch!

Happy halfer, Nate. Your fan club can't wait to celebrate many, many more of these with you.

xoxo

(The bathtub pic now ranks #2 behind the one from a couple weeks back that I'm STILL dying over...)

skye on August 25, 2008 at 10:52 AM said...

Happy 6 months, Nafey!

Erin Faubus on August 25, 2008 at 11:21 AM said...

He is precious! I love your blog and having a glimpse into your family, God has blessed you!

Cassie on August 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM said...

Wonderful update and as always, precious pics! I might have to steal the tub pic idea- too cute! I know you are super busy but I am trying to learn more about designing blogs and using photoshop- is there anyway you could email me and let me know how you set yours up. Do you edit the html? What template did you start with? Any help you can give me is much appreciated! :) cassandraisaacson@hotmail.com

Michelle on August 25, 2008 at 4:50 PM said...

I can't believe our babies are 6 months now! How did they get to be half way to a year old?! At least once a day we hear "No Lucas! That's mine!" and just have to laugh - Kayla couldn't wait until he was more interactive with her and now she doesn't like him grabbing her things!

Love the pic of Nate in the tub! Happy 6th months Nate!

Anonymous said...

Bravo...
Love,
Sister Dina

Tara on August 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM said...

Happy 6 months little man! It seems like you were just born yesterday, man how time flies. The pictures are adorable as always, but I really like the last one of him with his hat on. Hint, Hint I I need one of those! Love ya'll!!

Dana on August 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM said...

Happy half-birthday Mr. Man ~ I swear, he gets cuter every day!! :)

Dani on August 27, 2008 at 1:20 PM said...

He really is the cutest baby boy I have ever seen, but in a few months I might change my mind you know. ;)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez