Thursday, August 14, 2008

One more test behind us

Nathan is doing great! The day went off without a hitch, and it was definitely easier than I thought it would be. I was able to hold the little fella until he fell asleep while they put the mask of anesthesia on him, and then they put in an IV and whisked him away for the MRI. While it was tough not being able to be with him the whole time, it was definitely one of the easier tests we have had to go through. They didn't even stick him until he was asleep. So, watching your child's limp body go under anesthesia is a whole lot easier than holding his head still during a spinal tap or holding his arm still during blood tests.

He was in the MRI for a little under 2 hours, and then it took a good 30 minutes for him to wake up. They used an oxygen cannula to keep his O2 sats up, so he didn't have to be intubated at all through the procedure. We got a kick out of him trying so hard to open his eyes and look around in the recovery area...the little booger is a curious fella, even when he can barely keep his eyes open. We had to stay for an additional 2 hours in recovery as protocol for all babies under 6 months old, and he was passed around by the nurses and talked to everyone who would listen. All in all, it was a very blessed day! He's a little limp noodle today since his muscles are having a tougher time getting back to normal, but he is all smiles and scooting all over the floor like normal.

We won't know any results from the MRI for a little while. The results will be faxed to our neurologist within the next couple of days, but I don't think he will give them to us until our appt in a couple of weeks.

While Nathan was in the MRI, I was able to run over to the records office at the hospital and purchase some of his lab work to keep on hand for reference. I did this purposefully to view the results of some additional labs the neurologist ordered at our last visit. The results were interesting, and we are anxious to sit down and talk to his neurologist at the upcoming visit. I won't go into depth here until we discuss everything with Nathan's doctor and gather more information on it, but it looks like we could be heading in the right direction for a diagnosis for our precious son. His appt is 2 weeks from today.

Thank you for your prayers. The Lord was merciful once again. Nathan had no problems, and the doctors and nurses took incredible care of him. The bit of nervousness that has been in the pit of my stomach was gone when I woke this morning, and it never returned all day. We missed the little fella when he was away from us, but we knew he was in good hands...the Lord's hands.


Register family on August 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM said...

I am so glad things went smoothly today. We have been thinking of you all day, and checking the blog regularly, so thank you for posting to let us know things went well. Give the little fella a big hug for me!

Jill Chandler on August 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM said...

I am so thankfu lto her he handled the anesthesia so well... With thankful hearts we pray tonight!
Love, Jill

mollie on August 14, 2008 at 10:02 PM said...

I wondered about little nate all day while I was at work today ( the recovery room:)
Glad he did well & had no trouble with anesthesia.

shanaynay on August 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM said...

Praise the Lord- I found this scripture just now and it fits your day.
"Surely God is my help; the Lord Jesus is the One who sustains me."
Ps 54:4
We will keep on lifting you up!

shannon stephens in TN

Amanda on August 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM said...

I thought about the little guy all day yesterday and checked your blog till you posted, I just didn't have time to comment. So glad everything went well and hope beyond hope that in a couple weeks you will be able to get a few more "pieces" to Nate and finally put this puzzle together!

Anonymous said...

I am so very thankful that all went well. I am so very thankful again for your testimony. You are such a blessing to me. We love you all. Give big hugs and kisses to you all from us!
Sister Dina

oh amanda on August 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM said...

You are so right--he's in the BEST hands! Always praying for him...and you!

Blog Archive



Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez