Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Twenty-seven


If I were at my parent's house today, my dad would take a seat beside me, lay his hand on my knee and quote his yearly ritual: "27 years ago today" he would start...

"Your mama told me that it was time to go to the hospital, so I drove as fast as I could on wet roads and almost ended up in the ditch. We got to the hospital and our precious baby girl was born. You were so small that I could hold your head in my hand and your feet ended at my elbow. And that night, my mom and dad took me out for a steak dinner and dad told me that tomorrow I would be walking you down the aisle and giving you away to some boy."I've gotten that story every year for the past 27 years...although the past 8 years have been told over the phone. It's a sweet story, and I have always enjoyed hearing it. And every time I laid in a hospital bed after giving birth to each of my kiddos I thought about it...and was glad that my husband wasn't out eating steak while I was eating unsalted overcooked hospital crapola and wincing from my uterus mutinying on me. So, 27 years old today. Those who are still friends with me despite knowing my quirky idiosyncrasies will tell you that I'm not all that excited about turning 27 only because it is an odd number. I don't like odd numbers. Thankfully, I was born on an even day (the 12th), and all three of my chillens were even kids too (the 28th, 20th, and 24th). Don't think I didn't think about that when I was giving birth to them. My husband...well, he's the odd one of the fam with a birthday on the 21st.

I know...I have issues.

(I really have no idea where my children get their big cheeks.)
Abby and I were looking at old pictures the other day when she stopped on my school pics. "What is wrong with your hair?!!?" she shrieked (see 1st grade below). "Ummm, yeah. Don't blame me...that was your Nana's doing." "What did she DO to your hair?" Although I can totally hear mom saying "It was in style then." Just like fanny packs and Chia pets. My hubby gave me a gift certificate for a night on the town by myself (ie: a little shopping) and a hot rock massage. Beast! My girls have given me countless hugs and "Happy Birthdays" over the past few days because they are really confused on the actual day of my birthday. And I got a "red-faced/heart beating ninety miles and hour" surprise at our shrimp n' grits get-together with our church family when they started singing "Happy Birthday" and had a cake there. Thanks guys! It embarrassed the crap out of me, but it meant a lot.
It has been a wonderful birthday. It has been a wonderful 27 years. The Lord continues to bless.

31 comments:

Sarah Kate in WA state said...

Happy birthday!!! (It's still the 11th here in WA, and today was my b.day....the 8th anniversary of MY 27th!) :) Hope your birthday is a special one.

We continue to keep your sweet little Nate in our prayers!

From another Abby & Emma's mama across the country from you...

God Bless!
Sarah Kate in WA state

Other Mother on August 12, 2008 at 1:54 AM said...

Happy Birthday, Amber. I have an August birthday, too, but I'm waaayy past 27, almost twice that! As my dear father-in-law says, "We've all had the same number of birthdays . . . ONE!"

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Lovin the hair. Mine was worse though. I had the perm and my hair was cut to my ears in a triangle shape! Cute!!!!
Love, Amanda McCook

mollie on August 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM said...

Happy Birthday Amber!

April and Robert on August 12, 2008 at 9:26 AM said...

Happy Birthday! 27 is not so bad (so far) besides think of all the memories in those years. Do you remember turning my bedroom into a movie theater and then charging my little brother admission to watch the video we rented? Now see can't you picture your little ones doing something like that? :) Happy Birthday again~ April

dana on August 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM said...

Awwwww...27? You're just a pup! ;)

Hope this year brings you lots of joy and happiness.

And OMG. That last picture? Looks EXACTLY like Abby!!

Have a wonderful day!

Mom of TWO Princesses on August 12, 2008 at 10:03 AM said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you have a great day. I love those pictures. Your kids look so much like you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!

Linda

Misti from Texas said...

Happy Birthday Amber! My daughter's first birthday is today too! I wish you only the BEST! We continue to pray! Take Care!

Barbara on August 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM said...

Someone else said it, but I think Abby resembles you the most. :) And here you thought she didn't look like you. lol

Barbara on August 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM said...

Oh, and of course...Happy Birthday!

VanderbiltWife on August 12, 2008 at 11:39 AM said...

Wow...I am 26, I thought I was young to be having a kid. :) Congratulations. Love the 80s poofy bangs. At one point my mother PERMED MY BANGS so they would be curly like the rest of my hair. Oh, the torture. It was probably payback for making her put my hair in tiny braids to crimp it.

Dana on August 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Cute little pictures of you. Emma and Nathan look just like you! I hope you have a wonderful day! I wish my little guy would come on and share your birthday but just don't think that's gonna happen. Love you guys!

Emily on August 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM said...

Happy 27th!! I hope you're having a fab day.

My do your kids look like you!

Dana on August 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM said...

Happy birthday!! I didn't realize your birthday was so close to Darci ~~ she turns 4 on Saturday.....so you're like 23 years older than her!! Wow, you're old!! :P Just kidding!

Christine on August 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM said...

Happy Birthday my friend!!! You will have to let me know about that hot rock massage! Sounds like it might be a great thing after a 60 mile walk!! Can your oldest look any more like you?!?! And I will vouch for your mom, it TOTALLY WAS the IN style!! I should show you mine, lol!! And I made that decision (looking back it was a bad one but whatever! LOL).

Kim on August 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM said...

Happy Birthday, Amber!

dana on August 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM said...

wow! are we the DANA CLUB, or what?!?!? ;)

shalonda on August 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM said...

awww happy birthday hun!!!! wow emma and nate really do look so much like you!! oh and my girls and i are all even # bdays and hubby is odd as well, i always think of these things too, lol! we are weird!

Trina on August 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM said...

Happy Birthday!

Jill Chandler on August 12, 2008 at 5:41 PM said...

Happy birthday! When I LOL at the great hair of the 80's, the kids came running to see! Of course, that only started the questions, "How much older are you than Sister Amber? How old were you then?..." Lovely!

Love you guys!
Jill

Gin on August 12, 2008 at 7:47 PM said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!

Tomorrow is MY birthday (#34 though). Glad to know I am in good company.

Wanda on August 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wanda on August 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM said...

Happy Birthday Amber!
May God bless you with many more years!
Wanda

I personally like the numbers 3, 7 & 13. I love odd numbers!

Kayla on August 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM said...

Wow, your kids look like you. I see them in several different pictures.

Toni on August 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!

loved this post! Loved the pictures, I had to laugh because I think I shared some of the same hairstyles :)

Katie on August 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM said...

Happy Birthday!

You know it surprised me! I expected to see all Emma and Nathan come through in these, but I see a lot of Abby, too!

Amanda on August 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM said...

Happy Birthday, a day late!

Atleast you had a whacky hair style because your mom said it was in style. My mom was just plain cruel when she chopped my hair off sooooo short that I looked like a boy for a year!

Loved the pictures. I saw all 3 kids somewhere in all those pics!

Lok on August 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM said...

Happy belated birthday Amber!!!

Jessi on August 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM said...

Heh! Loved the pictures...you started out looking like Emma...maybe even little Nate, then Abby in your toddler/preschool pics, and back to Emma by the time you reached elementary school! Loved the post...And I have to say...being about 3 years older than you, my mom NEVER crimped my hair (which means that it was DEFINITELY IN style :-0)

Brandy on August 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM said...

Wow, talk about Nate looking like Emma. That first picture of you could pass as him!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez