Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Carnies and Biopsy info: quite the unusual pair


First, the carnies. Does anyone else just laugh every time they say that? Cracks my junk up. Now get this...it is also our neurologist's name. HA! I love it. Flows off the tongue so well. Okay, okay...so we decided to continue our yearly cultural experience for the kids by visiting our county fair last Saturday at a time when we "thought" everyone was fever-free. By my guess right about now, there are probably some sick carnies manning the kiddie-car due to my inability to realize that the wee middle one was running about 3 degrees too hot. Apologies all around.
So, the girls LOVED going to the fair this year. We left last year saying "Well, at least Emma will be tall enough to ride the rides next year." Little did we know that we had such a slow grower on our hands and the wee one was about an inch and a half too short again this year. But...mix in a few non-english speaking workers and they don't usually try to explain to you that your child wearing the $15 ride bracelet is too short to ride their seriously dangerous contraption. She was only really denied once. Aren't we the good parents? But she's almost 3, for crying out loud. When is this kid going to grow?The kids really enjoyed seeing their mix of quintessential fair animals...the only time they get to see such furry creatures all year. Emma wasn't amused. A cow mooed at her, so she gave it the ugly eye. Abby is my more adventurous kid who will indeed touch the animals, but then requested to wash her hands the moment she stepped out of the shed. Oh, my poor sheltered kiddos.And where else can you get the opportunity to milk a tub of milk with rubber nipples (another word that makes me giggle...I could totally go back to middle school, I know.). Now the girls will have the know-how to get a job milkin' if ever we truly have another depression. Score one for teachable moments.Other skills you can help your children master while at the fair: counting...numbers of tattoos one person can have on a given body part. Cognitive recognition...perferably the "what's making that smell" game. Visual acuity...how many mullets can you see? Memory...Girls, how would Dora interpret what that carney just said?I'm telling ya, it's a total field trip. We're all smarter for going. And fatter...come on, everyone's gotta love fair food.I received another call from Dr. Shoffner's office today...Nathan's consult and muscle biopsy are scheduled for November 4th and 5th in Atlanta. On the 4th, he will have a Resting Metabolic Rate test performed early that morning to see how many calories his body needs to live day to day (basically, how many calories your body needs while resting). And then we have our consult with Dr. S scheduled from 11:00-1:00. The muscle biopsy will be at Scottish Rite Hospital on Wednesday, the 5th.

All of Nathan's records were sent to Dr. S and after reviewing them, he said that he wants a radiologist that he trusts to have an additional viewing of the MRI Nathan had done in August. It was ruled as "normal" by the radiologist down here, so Dr. S wanting a second opinion makes a mama's eyebrows raise. It could be nothing, but it isn't usual protocol, so I am anxious to see if they find anything different.

For the most part, we are so thankful to get a different set of eyes on all of Nathan's records. Dr. Shoffner has ALL of Nathan's records and is reviewing all of them. And we found out that his EKG results were NOT in his chart which means that no doctor ever reviewed them. Nice. Thankfully, I have a copy that we are faxing to Dr. S's office tomorrow. And as much as we love the doctors down here, I believe that this is probably the first time that someone has sat down with everything and looked at the big picture instead of whatever their "specialty" takes care of. With Nate's problems being so systemic, this has created quite the problem in seeing the big picture with him.

I am nervous and anxious about our consult in 2 weeks. I need to use a day soon to gather all of the info and questions we have for the appt and put all of my thoughts and concerns on paper. Please keep Nathan in your prayers for those couple of days...and please pray that God would give the doctors seeing eyes and healing hands and knowledge that we may have to help our son through the future.

7 comments:

Beth on October 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM said...

Amber,

We will certainly be praying for all of you and your trip to ATL. I hope you can get some answers. The kiddos are as cute as pie!

We went to the fair Saturday, I have pictures up too! My sister and I were watching Lillie on one of the rides and there was this young couple who worked at the fair sharing a pepsi and snuggling. My sister looked at me and said, "Carnie Love". It is such a good thing I did not have a mouth full of my cream soda at the time, I nearly died laughing! It is a shame we can't work "carnie" into our vocabulary more often!

Have a great day, Beth J.

Bekah on October 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM said...

I will be praying for Nate as well as you and Jay and the girls.

I love the pic of Nate chewing on the corn cob. Those fat little baby knuckles are the absolute cutest thing on a baby. At least I think so!

Jill Chandler on October 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM said...

Amber, please keep us posted on your Atlanta plans.

You've got to get the kiddos up here for a real farm day! Elizabeth loves Grandpa's cows and would love to show Abby and Emma Uncle Terry's farm and take them fishing! Don't worry - no height requirements! :-)

We love you and keep you in our prayers.
Jill

Tiffanie on October 23, 2008 at 1:12 PM said...

Amber,

I know you must have a million people saying it but if you need anything while you are here in ATL please let me know...I can send you my contact info by email.

I love you the pictures from the fair!

Tiffanie

Merrie on October 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM said...

I'm glad you have a date -- and I'm also glad for the one doctor looking over everything at once. You're that much closer to real answers, though I suppose that's worrisome in itself, isn't it? You're a brave Mama, and I admire your strength and your trust in God.

Merrie

Mama Kraus on October 24, 2008 at 11:24 AM said...

Amber,

I have been following everything with Nate, although rarely commenting, and am in prayer with you as you travel up here to the ATL. Your continued strength and perseverance amaze me. Nate is so blessed to have gotten you for his mom. Someone else might not have fought as hard as you to find all the answers. Again, he is blessed.

Dana on October 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM said...

We took Darci to the fair on Tuesday... she LOVED LOVED it. And can you believe that I did NOT take my camera. It was killing me though :)

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez