Sunday, November 23, 2008

The plague is upon us


It ain't too purdy around this hood, so I would HIGHLY recommend keeping clear. Nathan started blowing out of both ends yesterday (isn't that a nice picture?), and I have to say that he really scared us last night. He just wouldn't stop throwing up and had very little muscle control. I would have to hold him upright just so he could throw up because he had such little muscle strength. We were definitely contemplating taking him in to the ER, but as soon as he finished throwing up all the bile in his belly, he perked up almost immediately. All in all, the poor kiddo threw up 15 times in 3 hours. We were so relieved and thankful that he did relatively well with such a violent virus.

I woke up about every 45 minutes to give him some Pedialyte for a majority of the night to make sure he would remain stable metabolically, and he is doing great today. He is tired and weak, but he is almost back to himself. It is so hard right now since we don't know what is going on with him metabolically. Harsh sicknesses like this have the ability to make him turn for the worst really fast, but he seemed to do okay despite the fact that he was so sick. And it is so wonderful to see him look so much better today.

On the other hand, Jay and the girls were about 100 yards from the church parking lot this morning when Emma threw up for the first time. He stripped her down to her skivvies and turned the van towards home again. She's gotten sick a couple more times, but she is keeping some Pedialyte down pretty well right now.

After Abby not having a fever for the past couple of days, it has returned to the 100 degree range. Em and Nate haven't had a fever through this virus, so I think Abby has something completely different.

We've all just sat around in our jammies and watched movies...in fact, the girls were introduced to the crazy world of The Wizard of Oz this afternoon, and they were quite impressed. Those flying monkeys still give me the creeps, but whatevah. Here's hoping there will be no nightmares tonight...for me.

Through all of this (and in the week of thankfulness), I am TRULY thankful that the kids waited to get this sick until we got home. I could not imagine having to make the long trip home from Kentucky with puking younguns. It's so great to be home...where today's high temp was 68 degrees. Sah-weet!

9 comments:

Jenn on November 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM said...

There's nothing worse than a puking child in the car. I've done this about 5 times in the last 2 months. My daughter gets car sick in the Grerat Smoky Mountain National Forest and it is not a pretty site!!! And I dealt with this again on the car the other day on the way homne from Costco. I am determined to invent a throw up cathcer to save the car seats from being washed so often!

Bekah on November 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM said...

Oh goodness, I hope they all start feeling better soon and you don't come down with what they have. Wizard of Oz was a favorite of mine when I was sick...but then again, I'm a Kansas girl.

leigh on November 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM said...

I hope everyone feels better soon. Who knows, they might just all think the Wizard of Oz is some figment of the imagination brought on by the plague.

shalonda on November 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM said...

oh my word yall poor things and i mean you and jay, lol, well the kiddos too, lol! did you get my "stalker" email about my kid lovin yours?

Jill Chandler on November 23, 2008 at 9:26 PM said...

Praying the plague will be gone soon! The Wizard of Oz was an annual treat when I was growing up - pre VCRs! I had to introduce Rodney to the land of Oz, though!

If the girls enjoy that, they might like Pollyanna and some of thsoe other old Disney classics. Something different to watch always helps pass sick days!

Love you guys,
Jill

Kayla on November 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM said...

So sorry to hear you all got the plague. I am thankful that Nathan seems to have done okay with this one. Hope you all get better quickly.

mollie on November 23, 2008 at 9:58 PM said...

Oh Amber, I am so sorry! Didnt you all just have this? Thank goodness you were home!

Kim on November 24, 2008 at 7:11 AM said...

I'd rather do just about anything than throw up, or watch my kiddos be sick - it is the worst. And for the record, those monkeys are crazy creepy! Just the mention gives me chills. Yuck. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Cait said...

I have that tupperware bowl. You're letting her puke into your tupperware... you are a nicer mother than I am.

Hope you all get better soon.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez