Sunday, December 28, 2008

5 years


My dearest Abigail,

We went for a walk the other day, and you rode your bike like you usually do. You would ride circles around us and sometimes ride fast to the end of the sidewalk and then wait for us to catch up...like you usually do. When we reached to the entrance of our subdivision, I told you that you could ride the half-mile back home as fast as you wanted by yourself. You looked at me with disbelief and gave a surprised "Really?" I nodded my head and told you to watch for cars, and you started off towards home.

I started to second-guess why I had allowed you to go on by yourself as you got further and further away. You soon turned a small curve and was out of my sight, and all I could do was pray that God would protect you on your journey.

You were so proud of yourself as you sat next to your bike in the driveway waiting for us to meander home. You said "that made me feel like a grown-up girl". I smiled, but it broke my heart just a little. You are growing up. In a few short months, you will be starting school and will be out of my sight for a little bit every day...and I can assure you that I will always pray that God will protect you on your journey.

My Abby, the past few months have been a big turning point in your life, it seems. You are looking older, acting older, and even talking older. Sometimes I look at you and wonder when it all happened. I see a little change each day.

You have more energy than I could have ever imagined and a heart that is so kind and tender. You love people with everything in you. You are a natural born leader who makes friends within 30 seconds of getting to the playground, and you are usually very attentive to include Emma in your games with the kids your age.

This year, you have learned to climb on top of the monkey bars, do pull-ups, ride a bike without training wheels, hula-hoop the longest I have ever seen anyone do, read beginner books by yourself, climb to the tip-top of any tree (much to your mother's chagrin), whistle, snap, make your bed, call out your first song in church, and try everything on your plate at least once. Like I said, you are growing up on us.

But the main change we have seen in you this year is how tender your heart is. Recently, you and Emma had a few tiffs that left you pretty perturbed at her. After a short separation from each other, Emma decided to make amends, but you were still ticked off, so back into your bedroom you went. After an even longer separation, you came out with big tears streaming down your face and said, "Mommy, I told God that I was sorry." You apologized to Emma, and I haven't had another issue with you about that.

Your relationship with Nathan is unlike any we have seen. You two "get" each other and play together constantly. I never knew that you would be so close with him when there are 4 years between you. He looks at you with eyes brimming with love every time you come into the room, and he smiles the biggest smile when you look his way. You want so bad to be a mama to him and will daily ask if you can feed him a bottle or pick out the clothes he will wear for the day. You are such a big help with him...more than I even imagined you could be.

Your relationship with Emma is like most close sisters in age...you are the best of friends and rely on each other for so much...but you are definitely sisters and argue and pester one another like the best of them. I enjoy listening to your conversations with Emma. She looks up to you for so much, and you are such a great big sister to her most of the time. :)

You are sweet and loving and smart and beautiful and witty...and our baby girl. Although our baby girl has grown up to be a big 5 year old, and I can't believe that has already happened. We love you, Abigail Nicole. Happy 5th Birthday.

10 comments:

Tara on December 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM said...

Happy 5th Birthday Abby! We love you girl, and have loved watching you grow up over the last couple of years. You have such a sweet, gentle spirit about you, thank you for being so kind and such a good role model for Jolee. She loves her Abby!

What a wonderful and beautiful letter and slide show Amber!

StephthefutrRxDr on December 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM said...

Am I a dork because I've been waiting for this post? I love your montages for your kids' birthdays so much, that brought tears to my eyes and you always pick the best songs to use, Happy birthday to your beautiful girl who will always be your little baby no matter how big she gets.
ETA-I deleted my first post because of a silly typo in case you were wondering.

AmyG on December 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM said...

Happy 5th Birthday Abby!! She has grown so much this year. She's a beautiful little girl. I hope she has an awesome day & a great year!

Katie on December 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM said...

Aww, what a sweet girl!! Made me tear- up about the feeling like a big girl and the telling God she was sorry. What a sweet heart.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Abby! We love you!
Pawpaw & Nana

skye on December 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM said...

That was perfect, Amber.
Happy Birthday, Abby!

Wanda on December 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM said...

Happy Birthday Abby! It makes me cry to see how fast you are growing up . . . just yesterday you were that little baby girl that visited MPBC for the first time. Little did I know what an impact you would have on my life! I have so many memories. I love you very much! See you soon ......
Wandy

Melodie on December 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM said...

Happy Birthday Abby!! Amber, she is so gorgeous... like supermodel gorgeous! Take care and enjoy the rest of the holidays!

Krischa on December 30, 2008 at 2:38 PM said...

So sweet! Made me tear up and she's not even mine! I love that you do this for your kids every year on their birthday!

The Princess on December 31, 2008 at 8:20 PM said...

Yet again, you leave us in happy tears. We, too, cannot believe that she is getting to be such a big girl! You also always seem to pick the best songs every time.
Let her know we love her and send birthday xxx and ooo. Look forward to seeing you guys again soon!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez