Wednesday, December 3, 2008

GI issues


The kids are tucked in bed, and we have reached the quietest part of the day....ahhhhhhhh, you hear it? The silence? Actually, I am listening to "Dirty Jobs" that Jay is watching, but it is definitely a far cry from kids running all over the house. Sometimes I have to remind myself to sit and enjoy the constant chaos that 3 kids under 5 bring to this house. I love 'em...I really do, but some days are really really really tough. Especially when one insists on "mothering" (read: bossing) around the other two, another insists on talking incessantly with periodic bouts of very loud whining (read: waking up the little brother from his nap and causing the mother to go all kinds of crazy), and the last insists on crying and crying and putting random things in his mouth and then crying when you insist on getting it out lest his try and swallow it and choke and stop breathing and you need to call an ambulance because your child is choking and your husband is out of town and where in the heck did he get that box of staples that could totally imperforate his intestines?

Yeah, it was that kind of day.

We all have those kinds of days sometimes, right? Please tell me I'm right of I might just mutiny on everyone around here.Nathan, oh little Nafey...I think he may actually be on the mend a little with his GI issues. Rewind...about a week and a half ago, he got a horrible, nasty, no good, very bad stomach bug. It created a whole slew of problems with his GI tract. Nathan has gastroparesis to begin with...this is where his stomach muscles do not push food into his intestine at the rate of speed it is supposed to. Do you know what makes gastroparesis worst? Viruses...GI viruses. What did Nathan get a week and a half ago? It's been a long few days since then.Little man lost over a pound in all of the craziness of his stomach issues lately, and I can say that he is finally gaining this weight back. Yesterday's weight was 16.8 pounds...today's was a full 17.0 pounds. Can we get a "woo-hoo"?

Long story short, Nate can not deal with solid foods too well right now. He screams and screams and screams after he eats any solids at all. I am still feeding him minimal solids in the morning to try and thicken up his stools, which are still fairly loose from this virus. The solids just sit in his belly and churn because his gastric emptying has fallen to an extremely slow pace lately. I feel so bad for the little fella...and I am so ready to have my smiley, happy Nateman back. I miss that side of him so much!His GI doc increased his motility med to 3 times the amount he was getting previously, and that has seemed to have helped quite a bit. He is now eating quite a bit more formula, which has caused him to start gaining weight again. In return, he has started spitting up numerous times after each feeding again, but hopefully the 2 reflux meds he is on is taking a majority of the acid out of the refluxate so it doesn't cause much damage to his esophagus. Craziness all around, I tell ya! CRAZINESS!!

This GI stuff is very frustrating! It is so hard to see Nathan in so much pain day in and day out, and it is difficult to know how to help him. His motility should return to normal after a few weeks, but I really miss having my little Nathan around. Instead, I have this cute little boy that arches his back, makes his body all rigid and screams out all day long. I hate seeing him this way.

8 comments:

Christy@MercyEveryMorning on December 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM said...

Poor baby. Hope he gets through this rough spot soon.

Emily on December 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM said...

Gosh, you even get good pics of your kids when they're down and out! Gorgeous. Hope the little one recuperates alright, poor guy. That all sounds so awful.

AmyG on December 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM said...

Poor little man! I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

Amanda on December 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM said...

Twins or no twins. Having more than 1 kid (especially sick ones)can be excrutiating at times!! Hope he gets better soon; for his sake and for his sweet mama's!

Jill Chandler on December 4, 2008 at 9:41 AM said...

Keep your chin up, friend! We all have days like that, but I can only imagine how hard a time Nathan is having right now. We'll be praying for easy digestion! :-)

Tara on December 4, 2008 at 10:56 AM said...

Poor Nathan, I hate his little tummy is still messed up. He looks so grown up in these pictures!

Autryville on December 4, 2008 at 2:04 PM said...

Luke is so, so sick right now with a cold/double ear infection and has required so much of me, more than he was a newborn, it seems. It sure does make me think of you and pray for you even more as the primary caretaker of that sweet little guy. I pray that his little belly will get to be more agreeable very soon!

Kayla on December 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM said...

I'm so sorry. Your poor little man.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez