Friday, January 2, 2009

10 months...plus some


My little Nafey boy,

Apologies for posting this a good week and a half late...but that's what happens when your 10th monthday lands on Christmas Eve. I didn't want to miss this post entirely though because you have done so much this month! In fact, this month has turned out to be a turning point in your life...a time when things are getting a bit easier with you...and a whole lot more fun!
Your personality has really come forth this month, and we are loving seeing you blossom into a fun-loving boy. Let's start with sleeping patterns...thankfully (and after much prayer...don't you ever think that something is too small to pray about) you are almost sleeping through the night. In fact, you went the entire night (12 whole hours) without eating for the very first time in your life 2 nights ago. You sure did cry a lot, but we made it an entire night without feeding you. Last night (night #2 of Operation Get-Nafey-to-sleep-through-the-night), you only woke up 3 times and only required one paci-putter-backer. I'm hoping you sleep completely through the night tonight. Let me tell you, son...I feel like a new woman. I have not slept for more than about 4 hours straight for the past 10 months, and I am so happy to finally get some good sleep.
We realized this month that you really have a red-headed temper when you get frustrated...read that: whenever Uncle Marty tells you that you can not have the angel Christmas decoration. Seriously, you truly know how to let someone know when you are royally ticked off. You bite your teeth together and growl while puffing up your chest...over and over again until they get the point. It's quite comical and disheartening all at the same time. Sadly, you also do this when you are too tired to crawl around like you usually do. I know that this is because you are frustrated, but I am not too sure on how to help you in the area yet.
You took your first 2 steps while we were at Papa and Grammie's house over the holidays. You took 2 full steps unassisted and we clapped and cheered you on. You haven't done in since being there, but I am still counting those as your first steps. You may not be that close to walking yet, but you can sure boogie when it comes to crawling.
This month, you learned to say "Abba" for Abby and "Baba" for Baby (though I have only heard you say that one a few times). At dinner tonight, you raised your hands for your first successful game of "How big is Nathan?". I just love watching you learn new skills.
Your eating is so great now!! You are eating solid foods without any trepidation and still drinking 16-24 ounces of formula each day. You weigh about 18 pounds and are 28 inches long. You love goldfish crackers and bananas and are slowly weaning yourself from jarred baby food. I just love that we can all eat as a family now and that you can eat almost anything we put on our plates. I pray that you will continue to be able to eat what we eat.
Medically, it was a tough month. After your stomach virus in November, your gut all but shut down and caused you to be in horrible pain for a good while. Through an increase in motility meds and a fluid-only diet, you got back to your baseline motility-wise a couple of weeks ago and are doing exceptionally well right now. We have finally found a good combination of meds to help your gut motility and reflux, and it is so nice to not see you in so much pain anymore. Other than the GI issues, we are still waiting for all of the test results from your muscle biopsy in November. We should receive those by the last week in January. I have mixed feelings about receiving these results...nervous that they will come back positive for mito, but also nervous that they come back inconclusive. I pray that God will give me the grace to deal with whatever results we get and know how to help you through the coming years, my son.So, 10 months. Almost a year...I can't believe it! I can honestly say that it is getting easier around here. Your Dr. appts are dwindling down and you are spending more and more time exploring your world. I am not needed nearly 24 hours a day like I used to be, so I am enjoying the new schedules we are putting into action. You are so much fun right now. Your smile still remains one of my favorite things in the world, and I look forward to watching you grow each and every day. I love you, my little Nathan. Happy 10 months, son.

4 comments:

AmyG on January 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM said...

Happy 10 Months, Nathan! It is so great to hear that he's doing so well. And he took 2 steps!?? That in itself is amazing, considering all he's been through in his 10 months.
Praying for the GI issues and that you will finally get a result as to what's going on, but also that it's something that can be corrected.

Tara on January 3, 2009 at 9:56 AM said...

Happy 10 months Nathan! We love you and can't wait to see ya Sunday!

Jill Chandler on January 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM said...

Happy monthday, Nathan! I love seeing all the progress chronicled!Happy New Year, friends!
Love, Jill

Amber Schmidt on January 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM said...

Oh wow! I love the month pics! I am so jealous. I wish I had done the same with my kiddos.... :(

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez