Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Echo Schmecho


The little dude had a cardiology appt this afternoon, and it went very well. He had another EKG done and then an echo, where he got to chomp down on the last sucker from Valentines Day. I really do need to invest in some more suckers...they are great for keeping him still and content during random tests. Granted, we both end up one nasty sticky mess, but it is totally worth his contentment...plus, it gives him something to look forward to when he is having to endure so much.
After these tests, the cardiologist sat down and said, "The great news is that Nathan's ASD* has closed up." to which I replied, "Uhhhhh, say whuuuuuuut?"
*ASD: Atrial Septal Defect...congenital heart defect resulting in a hole in the wall (septum) that separates the left and right atrium.
Yep, turns out that the echo Nate had in the hospital last year showed that he had a hole in his heart...yet, we never knew about it. This is one of the examples of how frustrating the lack of communication can be at times within the medical community. When he was hospitalized, he had the echo done on a Friday late afternoon, and a cardiologist was supposed to read it that next Monday. We never actually saw a cardiologist and were told that since we had not heard anything from the report, it had to be normal because they would have contacted us if it was abnormal. Yet, none of the other docs ever looked at the report, and our pediatrician was never sent a copy of the reading.
Fast-forward to today when we received the year-old news...man, was I quite surprised! Although, it did make sense why Nate's previous EKGs said "consider left atrial defect". Hmmmm, ya think? ASDs are fairly common in genetic diseases, so we suspect that Nate's mito caused the delayed closure of this hole. And we are very thankful that it has closed on its own with no intervention.
I really liked the cardiologist we saw today. The really great news was that there was no evidence of cardiomyopathy, and we don't have to go back for an entire year. The cardiologist also confirmed that Nathan had something called a "Still's murmur"...merely, a functioning or innocent murmur that he will more than likely have for most or all of his life. Other than that, everything looks great, and his heart is definitely not the cause of his periodic bouts with tachypnea these days.
We had a lot of fun during Papa's visit this weekend...the kids loved the extra attention, and we seriously threatened to zip Emma up in one of his suitcases and ship her back up north. But now I'm kinda glad I didn't fulfill that fantasy because she has been so sweet and cuddly and obedient so far this week. Makes me love being a mom again!

7 comments:

Autryville on March 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM said...

Look at Emma hanging on to him! I love that picture--all of the pictures w/Bro. Danny are so sweet.

You're always in our prayers, Amber. All of ya'll!!

You mentioned the terrible 3's in a previous post...oh, my, my, my. I love the terrible 2's. I haven't even been able to come up with a good, yet very negative, adjective for the 3's!

Jenny Hobbs said...

So thankful the appt was good! The kids called my dad Papa, too. Bittersweet hearing that. So good to talk to you the other day. Thanks for your encouraging words and your listening ear!
Jenny

AmyG on March 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM said...

I'm glad the hole closed up, even if you didn't know about it. Glad the visit with your Papa went so well. I love that last picture! It looks like Emma is hanging on for dear life.

Missy on March 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM said...

I am with you on hating the communication in the medical field! I found out Samuel had spina bifida after I requested a copy of his records 6 months after a test noticed it. Nobody ever mentioned it to me! Seems like something I should have known, right?

I love the pics of the kids. They are too cute!

Missy

Jill on March 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM said...

I love the pictures of Papa, especially that first one!

Deborah always told me that the terrible 2's should have been the terrible 3's... At 2, you can still, pretty easily, pick 'em up and put 'em where you want 'em...

Love you guys and pray for you often!

~sydney~ on March 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM said...

okay favorite picture of em EVER sittin at the table resting her head on her hand! so adorable! how old does she think she is??? ;)

mollie on March 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM said...

I have to agree...
2's are nothin! The 3's...LOOK OUT!
And I love Emma hanging onto Danny's leg! So sweet, how did he NOT take her home with him?!?

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez