Monday, March 2, 2009

Parenting without a voice


That could totally be the title of a "Lifetime" movie.

So last week's sickies captured my voice for about 24 hours and made for a very interesting day tending to the kiddos, who respectfully called me "Ariel" all day. Since I was venturing into the new territory of not being able to get the kids' attention in an abrupt manner, I came up with a few new techniques for those laryngitis sufferers...
Keep a stash of soft nerf-like balls nearby. Unfortunately, we have no such things, but I found that rolled-up slightly wet diapers sail through the air with ease and do not hurt upon contact in case the perpetrator (ie: the one who totally started that fight. You know you don't just walk up and take things away from your sister!) just so happens to walk into the line of fire. A rolled diaper thrown into the vicinity of 2 or more is an instant fight-stopper and attention-getter. A swift shaking of the finger is all the follow-up needed to end that fight entirely.

"Angry eyes" speak volumes.Creating your own sign language is both fun and easy. I had an entire conversation with hand signals asking whether they wanted apples, bananas, or peanut butter pretzels for a snack, to which the replied by running around the house acting like monkeys and proceeded to rip each other's faces off. Clearly, the answer was bananas.
If all else fails, see if your whisperer still works. After all the junk in my head started to clear some, I realized that indeedeo, I could still whisper. The girls would reply back to me in none other than a whisper themselves, and it made for a nice and quiet few hours around here that will probably never be replicated again until the young-uns have up and moved out to raise little hooligans of their own.

Just sit back and listen, and you'll learn a lot. This was the most fun...not being able to talk created copious amounts of time of just cuddling with all three of 'em and listening to their conversations with each other. Their convos made me realize how much they are truly growing up...and that they talk about "tooting" entirely too much in a day.

6 comments:

~sydney~ on March 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM said...

Oh my word! All I can do it laugh! Your days sound so entertaining! I love the titles of each post, especially this one. And of course, as always, the pictures are adorable :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber, Too funny. I just might pretend to loose my voice just to see if they will be quiet. I just wanted to give you a quick update on Camdyn. We got home from the ER around 4 a.m. Nice!! She did have a concussion but no swelling or fractures. Thanks for calling last night. Love ya, Amanda McCook

The Princess on March 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Princess on March 2, 2009 at 7:31 PM said...

Yes, the whole whisper to them and they will whisper to you works well...I have had to do it in the past when I lost my voice at school...and I do it even when I can talk just so we can be a little quieter at times. It is AWESOME! Phillip and I just laughed hysterically while reading this post. Hope you are up to par soon!
Ash
(My other post sent to soon!)

Blondie on March 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM said...

I recommend water guns or Nerf guns (not the current heavy artillery variety) when the voice goes. I have two boys, though, and they just think it's a game...

Lisa on March 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM said...

Too funny! Hope you are feeling better.

Lisa Q

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez