Friday, March 27, 2009

The secret to good photographs


BRIBERY! Yep, add that to the list of things I said I would never do with my children. Add onto that list the whole "never give the baby a bottle in the crib" concept that I threw out the window a few weeks ago when I realized that if you just toss the milk to the kid and go back to bed, he will more than likely go back to sleep afterwards as well. Survival, people. And sanity. That's what we're trying to maintain around here. Now, when we get the dental bill in a couple of years for bottle rot, you can then remind me why it isn't the best idea to let the baby's attachment item be a nice bottle of milky goodness.
Where was I? Oh yeah...bribery. You wanna know why my children jump at the chance to go on photographing adventures with me? I pay well. The going rate for 20 minutes of their time (don't worry, it's well within the child labor laws) is one big handful of jellybeans/m&m's/smarties/take your pick. Is that wrong? Well, don't answer that. Now, when we get a dental bill in a couple of years for candy rot, you can then remind me why this probably wasn't the best idea.

You know what a handful of jellybeans got me today? This...And this...
And this...this will make me remember how difficult it was to keep her from smiling that fakey smile all 5 years olds do. I got this look out of her by saying "ummm, think about Brother David"...because the kid has the biggest crush ever on our pastor and talks about him at various times throughout the week, to which I have to remind her that he is married, has a kid, and is old enough to be her grandfather (sorry, Bro. D). To which she always replies, "I know. But I just love him."
This one almost lost her payment for the session due to pure orneriness...
This one is the easiest to photograph...that is, if you don't make him stay still for more than 2 seconds...
This picture will always remind me of the adorable little laugh she does everytime she makes this face. I can totally hear it every time I see this...
And this...oh, my heart. It's his first tie, and I am in love with making him look like a little old man.

9 comments:

Lil. Bit on March 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM said...

Those pictures are adorable girl! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get that perfect picture! ;)

AmyG on March 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM said...

You have got the most adorable kids, I swear. Abby is beautiful. Emma is adorable and I love that you like to dress Nathan up like a little old man. He's such a handsome little man!!

Anonymous said...

Bribery smibery! You have the cutest kids, wearing the cutest clothes in the cutest poses! I don't care how you get the pictures, I just like looking at the outcomes! Thanks for sharing!

Sis. Kimberly Riffel
El Bethel, Tampa

Mrs. Hinson on March 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM said...

Has somebody been shopping at Children's Place?! Yeah, we have pretty much the same outfit as little Nathan! Those were precious!

Amy on March 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM said...

I should try this trick. I can't get my son to look at my camera for anything in this world. I know you aren't taking clients because your daily life is so busy, but maybe you could blog a few photography tutorials or editing tips. You have such a talent. I love the tone of your blog. So funny!

Jill on March 28, 2009 at 4:25 PM said...

You're making me think I might get some better pictures if I employ some bribery, too!

Seriously, when Sam came home at 16 mo. he was accustomed to sleeping with a bottle. Once at our house, we replaced the milk with water, and he never noticed the difference. We laughed about his REALLY BIG pacifier. He'd suck a little while and fall asleep just the same. Of course, now he eschews water... Could it be a negative side effect to my trick??!

Amanda on March 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM said...

I encourage(no, beg)you to keep bribing those precious faces with what ever means you have to so that we can get a glimpse of them! Seriously Amber, your children are b-e-u-tiful and I adore their outfits. Too, too cute!!!

~sydney~ on March 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM said...

he is about the cutest thing i've ever seen in that little outfit! oh my gosh! too too cute!

leigh on April 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM said...

I really must remember the bribery aspect of taking good pictures. Trying to get 3 ornary girls to LOOK at ME and SMILE...hmmm, just the cost of a bag of m&m's!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez