Monday, March 16, 2009

Someone's gonna get a good ole' talkin' to in the morning


Nathan's gastric emptying scan was this morning, and the little guy was such a trooper. He ate an egg with a tracer in it, and then he was strapped to a table for 90 minutes while a scan took pictures every 10 seconds to see how his stomach was emptying. He fussed for a few minutes and then fell asleep (score one for him not taking a nap earlier). While he slept, I watched a sappy chic flick and realized that that probably wasn't the best idea when the technician came in to check on things and I had to keep dabbing at my eyes and making comments on how bad the allergies were this time of year. Who makes a movie that makes you cry in the first 20 minutes??? I mean really!
At the hour mark, the technician came in to make sure that Nathan was usually on some form of a prokinetic med to aid in gastric emptying. At that point, hardly any of the egg had left his stomach. Poor little guy...no wonder it seems that his belly hurts so much. Nathan woke up in time to watch a Baby Einstein, and then the test was over. Honestly, it was the easiest test he has had so far because he slept through a majority of it.The tech said that they were going to write up the report and give it to our GI doc today, and we should get some emptying totals in a couple of days. He did say that he could definitely tell me that Nathan's emptying was very slow...we'll know more results in a couple of days, though there isn't much more we can do for it than we are already doing with the meds. Now we at least have a baseline for how his gastric emptying is now, in case anything were to change in the future.
The girls spent the day with Sister Danette from church...they mosied on over to her family's farm where the girls had a blast playing with a calf, chickens, cats, and a dog. They've been talking about how much fun they had, and I am absolutely positive that they will sleep well tonight! I think Emma would move to a farm in a heartbeat if we let her...that kid loves her some farm animals. Thanks so much, Sis. Danette!! They clearly had an awesome time.
Onto some exciting news...we celebrated such a fun milestone with Nathan on Saturday night. We have been working with him for months trying to get him to clap, but he would just look at us like we were nutso. Out of the blue the other night, he looked right at me and started clapping. Oh, it warmed my heart so much to see him do that adorable skill!! Next on the "skills" list to work on: pointing and waving. And I was planning on including an adorable little video of Nathan clapping here, but I was just recently made aware of the fact that we have a little scissor happy bandit in this hood who seemed to have cut my camera cable, and I have a hundred-dollar bet that her name starts with an E and ends with a MMA. And I (and she alike) am very glad that she is asleep right now, lest I doing something like strangle her or make her sleep upside down pinned from the ceiling fan by her toenails. What? Anyone have a better punishment? Instead, you'll get pics that have absolutely nothing to do with what was mentioned in this post...but are still pretty darn cute.

4 comments:

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home on March 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM said...

I would NOT want to be Emma today! :-)

Lisa on March 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM said...

Poor sweet Emma! Great pictures.

Lisa Q

Texas Mom on March 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM said...

Oh poor mama.... and Emma too! As always, your pictures are amazing...... My goal is to be a fraction as good as a photographer you are, when I mature in my picture taking skills..... I am glad you are getting some good information regarding Nathan's digestive system.

Rachel on March 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM said...

I think the scissors need to be put on a higher shelf. It's really not poor Emma's fault.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez