Monday, March 30, 2009

You learn from your mistakes...sometimes


I was making dinner tonight while the girls had been quarantine to their bedroom until they cleaned up all the crapola on the floor, lest I blow the very last bolt that was keeping my head screwed on at that time. About 10 minutes into the "lock down", I heard Abby scream that kind of scream that makes every mother panic...because that kind of scream means that either A. Emma hung herself in the blind cord, B. Someone opened their window and was in the process of kidnapping them or C. Emma was currently applying Abby's favorite lip balm to her tongue. Little did I know that the kind of bloody scream that came out of Abby's head had a D. option: Emma stuck yet another random object up her teeny nostrils. Great. She obviously had not learned anything from the last encounter of nose-hole mischeif...but, this is the kid who would eat soap as a toddler, gag and cry, and then put the bar of soap back in her mouth. I worry about that kid sometimes.The passenger on today's trip through the nose-tunnel: a blue polly pocket shoe. And this one was stuck WAY up there. In other words, there was no amount of blowing that could have shot that sucker out. Enter in a good ole' set of tweezers. Now enter in a child who is utterly freaking out at the sight of a good ole' set of tweezers. After some serious sweet-talking and some master maneuvering, I was able to coax that teeny shoe out of her amazingly teeny nose holes. Success, once again! I'm labeling myself a pro at this now.
When all was said and done, Jay chuckled and said, "Well, at least all those years of playing the Operation game as a kid finally paid off."
I also washed my brand spankin' new cell phone in the washing machine today. It is now drying and we are now praying that it works in a few days. It's enough to deal with the stupid things the kids do day in and day out...but when I do something stupid on top of it all, it kind of throws me over the edge. Blasted cell phone!
After weeks of emailing back and forth between our neuro, we are finally getting everything settled for Nathan's mito medications. I ordered one of his new meds today, and it was $200 for a 2 month supply. Too bad that money tree in the backyard didn't survive the winter.

Here's hoping that this is not a precursor to the way the rest of the week will unfold.

12 comments:

Blondie on March 31, 2009 at 9:00 AM said...

It appears that there is never a dull moment in your household!

AmyG on March 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM said...

Oh man... I hope today is much better for you! lol

Melanie Strevel Hodges said...

Hi Amber! We met a long, long time ago when we were both around middle school age, so you probably don't remember me. I just wanted to say that you make me laugh so hard when I read your posts! It makes me look at the things that my little boy does...like peeing on his baby sister this morning...in a different light! Congrats on removing the object from Emma's nose!

~sydney~ on March 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM said...

Never EVER a dull moment in the life of the Ferrells! Emma is so hilarious! Just can't help but laugh at everything she does!

Don't feel bad about the cell phone thing...Let's see...I had just got home from camp back in July. The very next day I had an interview to go to and then a plane to catch for another camp...sooooo I had to wash all of my clothes that night to repack (probably just made up that word) for the other camp. Of course, I left my phone in my jeans pocket and WASHED it...freaked out and had no phone for camp in North Carolina. Yes, we had to go buy a supercool tracphone from Walmart for the week! Gotta love it!!

Anonymous said...

I totally had a flashback when reading about the polly pocket shoe in Emma's nose and you getting the tweezers...I had to use tweezers to get a cooked macaroni out of Jaiden's nose when she was like 2.5...LOL.

Angie Rodgers said...

Oops, I didn't mean to be anonymous in the first post :0)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, never a dull moment. Your blog always leaves me in tears! My husband suggests implanting screens in Emma's nose to prevent further occurences. But then that would cut down on the number of things you could blog about!

Sis. Kimberly Riffel

StephthefutrRxDr on March 31, 2009 at 11:32 PM said...

put your cell phone in a plastic container with rice for a few hours or so, the rice will supposedly suck out the water, it can't hurt to try right?

Krischa on March 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM said...

Take the battery out of the cell phone and put the cell phone in a bag of uncooked rice. It could help you save your phone!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Lord willing, Em will have chillins one day...
Love ya,
Sista Nina

Jill on April 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM said...

Oh my goodness! The tales you have to tell! I can't wait to see all you guys!

Anonymous said...

I know a good trick for getting something out of a child's nose without tweezers. Not that you will need to know.:) Hold the "clear" nostril closed, and blow GENTLY into the child's mouth. Everything will blow right out of the stuck side. Duck right after you blow. I have heard this can be messy, but it has saved a couple of my friends an ER visit.
Sarah

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez