Thursday, May 7, 2009

April showers bring May...


I planted flowers last Saturday...for those who actually know me and have a hard time believing that, I have the peeling sunburned back to prove it. We went to Lowes to buy a new dishwasher (seriously, I need hearing aids from the effects of the one we have currently), and I decided that it was time that I grew up a little and planted flowers...so I eenie-meenie-miney-mo-ed my way across the garden center to see which flowers would work best in the bare flower bed we had in the front yard. It was seriously a big ole' guess at how much I would need and where I would place everything, not mention the fact that Jay had to inform me that "annuals" meant that they died and "perinnials" meant that they came back next year. Score one for perinnials. Do they make flowers that self-water??? Cause I'm game for that.
So I planted flowers...in the hottest part of the day on Saturday. And I got thoroughly burnt and dehydrated. But I did get finished in time to watch the Derby. Woo-hoo for 50-1 odds. Oooh, I just love the Derby. Every year, it makes me miss Kentucky, which is oh, so pretty this time of year. But I digress...

I was watering the flowers tonight and caught myself actually having a conversation with them..."Oh, I bet you are thirsty. Mama is gonna get you some water. How's that? Do you feel better now? Daddy is gonna bring some fertilizer home someday and you'll really like that." That was about that time that I shook myself to reality and realized that I was not 65. (Apologies to all of you who are actually 65, but that really was a "retired" thing to do, don't you agree?)
And that exact moment was when I realized why women like to garden. Those flowers...they are our babies (although taking care of babies seems to be a lot easier indoors...away from the swarms of mosquitoes, at least). We feed and water and talk to our precious plants. When the kids all grow up and go on yonder, flowers (and pets) (and husbands who don't pick up their dirty socks) are the only things left we have to mother.

It was at this exact instant that I ran inside and gave all of my children reverse growth-hormone juice...you know, so they can stay my babies forever. But then I remembered the incessant fighting and jumping and general craziness that went on today and decided it was okay if they grew just a little. I'm just not ready to be a gardener yet. Not ready at all.

2 comments:

Jill on May 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM said...

I'm amazed how you got pictures of your kiddos in my flowers...NOT showing the dying bushes around them! You make my yard look good! Okay, so maybe it's really the kiddos I like best!

~sydney~ on May 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM said...

The pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I cannot BELIEVE how old Abby is!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez