Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The disadvantages of living in the swamp


It's no secret that I absolutely positutely LOVE living in Florida. Truly, I do. The weather, the daily summer thunderstorms, the mild winters, the drama that encircles hurricane season (okay, I guess all of those would have be categorized when I said "the weather", but it really is that nice). And I do love living here...with a few exceptions that are usually due to the creepy crawly things that like this kind of weather as much as me and all the snow birds (only a term Floridians understand).

SNAKES...the #1 thing I would vote to eradicate in our state when I become president. Second would be mosquitos, but ask me again in another month and they may have inched their way to the #1 spot.
Jay found this little sucker in our front yard this morning, dad-gummit...the first snake of the season in our yard. This prompted what I call in my anti-snake brain as "snake season", where I will start to watch each and every step I make in our yard from now until our first freeze next January in hopes that I will never ever ever ever ever ever step on the many hundreds of thousands of snakes that call our yard their home. I have a reputation with these snakes...one almost fell on my head when Abby was a baby...I kid not about these things. It was in the eaves of our garage door and I happened to walk under the door as it was going up...that's when the snake dropped 2 feet in front of me. And then I almost stepped on one as I was walking to our friends' front door. And then one slithered between me and the kids last year as we were playing on the slip-n-slide. They are evil, these slithering creatures...pure evil.

Jay let this one loose in the front flower bed...the one that is mere inches away from our walkway. I pleaded for him to kill it, but I would have even obliged to him letting it go a mere 60 miles from the house. Instead, he let is loose in the mulch right beside where I walk each and every single day so it can plan it's demise against my ankles. Seriously, I was headed out to check the mail this morning and a lizard jumped from the mulch and made me almost mess my pants, I kid not about these things. Not fun times...not at all. See...he's out to get me. He senses my fear. Just looking at this gives me the heebeegeebees. (I took these with a VERY long lens...the 100mm for all you camera enthusiasts...no way was I getting close to that thing with very long fangs.)
The girls LOVE it when Jay catches a snake. Emma wants to keep them as pets until I remind her that the day she brings a snake inside is the day that bear-bear finds a new permanent home far, far away from our snake country. Insensitive, I think not. Here is Nate trying to imitate a snake......which makes me so happy that I can not contain it. Not that he is imitating a snake, but that he is finally sticking out his tongue!!! Funny how little things like this can make you so excited! I have been working with him for months on him sticking out his tongue, and he figured out how to do it a few days ago. This is the kid who repetitvely stuck out his tongue every 3 seconds as a newborn/infant that had a few doctors asking a LOT of questions. Obviously, newborns are not supposed to do that, and we still have no idea why he was doing it. Once he stopped, he never did it again. And that has been one of our exercises and games for the past few months...to try to get him to stick out his tongue. You can imagine my excitement when he finally did it a few days ago. Little did I know that once he figured out how to stick his tongue out, he would then find it interesting to LICK every darn thing in sight. Trees and plants and refrigerators and feet and his own arm and lotion and chairs and doors and his sisters...nothing is exempt to licking these days. I don't have a heart quite yet to tell him to stop licking everything and everybody because he laughs in excitement every time he licks something new...like he is experiencing something for the very first time. Yes, I know...the kid is spoiled! I know. But in a way, I can't help it. I am just so glad that he is experiencing life to the fullest right now. I love seeing him laughing and smiling. I love this kid.

12 comments:

Jill on May 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM said...

Well, you've been telling him not to eat everythng! Isn't just a little lick okay?! :)

Jill on May 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM said...

BTW - what kind of snake is that colorful thing? Surely Dr. Snake-expert knows!

Michelle Garvin said...

Ok, I need a warning for those posts...I absolutely have snake-a-phobia...I'm sure there is a technical name for it. I think I would have used my 200mm lens, if anything...yikes! That would definitely put a halt to our outside playtime around here :) Hope he finds a new home over your mulch!

Anonymous said...

Amber, just wait until Nathan wakes up on a Sunday morning at 7 a.m. wanting to go Snake hunting. Yes, this is what we woke up to on Mother's Day. Of course I find out, the night before Brian caught a snake and let Matthew touch it, whole nine yards.

Cute pictures!!! Love Ya,Beth

melliehodges on May 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM said...

The pictures you posted here are the #1 reason I can never live near you [no, not the pictures of ?Nate - he's gorgeous!]! I am scared to death of snakes and I assure you that I will be dreaming about them tonight and wake up no less than three times trying to get the snake off my pillow! I love reading your blog - it makes me feel like I am right there in your house. We have got to truly meet one day...any chance you and your kids will be at Lexington's meeting this summer?

:-)

Melanie Hodges

Carrie on May 12, 2009 at 6:10 PM said...

I am completely with you on the snake issue. Probably one reason I would never live in Florida. I am terrified of snakes and seeing them with no advance warning makes me nauseous. I agree with Michelle who says she needs a warning for snake picture posts.

Melanie Hodges said...

yep, dreamed about them all night!

Lisa on May 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM said...

I HATE snakes! Hate, hate, hate them. They scare me to death. Warning next time please!!! :)

Nate continues to be a doll!

Lisa Q

Dana on May 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM said...

I LOVE the video of your kiddos! Yeah, that snake freaks me out too. I have yet to see one in my yard, but I know they are there! I don't think Allie would have the same reaction as Emma. She hates anything that creeps and crawls!

Brandy on May 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM said...

Very impressive snake. We only have big black snakes and little corn snakes.
I hope May continues to be a great month for Nathan.

TracyVDM on May 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM said...

I don't think I would have been able to take a picture...I about messed my own pants just looking at yours! Oh my word...I am TERRIFIED of snakes and spiders. Okay...maybe my hope to come meet you someday may not be too smart...unless it's winter?? LOL

Katie on May 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM said...

COOL snake pictures. You remember I'm scared of bugs- deathly afraid of roaches? Well oddly enough, not so with snakes. Or spiders. Shaun says "why are you only afraid of things that CAN'T hurt you?" And that's a good question.

Anyway... why am I still "talking?" :) COOL picture.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez