Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sleep...eh, who needs sleep?...study


Last night, Nathan and I partook on the adventure of testing out our city's great sleep lab. I was pretty impressed with the hotel-esque accommodations coupled with that unforgettable hospital smell. Really, if you just shut your smeller off, you would think that you were vacationing right along the beach.

The little tech guy came in and started setting everything up for the night. He pointed the camera out to me and then tested the room's microphone system, to which I instantly cursed myself for eating those pork-n-beans for lunch. What happens in the sleep lab stays in the sleep lab. Nathan's beans didn't sit with him too well either through the night, and he made that very clear through the orchestra coming from his lower half each time he rolled over. I made sure to make eye contact with the camera each time this happened and just point to the little dude...just so they would know, ya know?
Nathan did so well as the tech was hooking him all up. He didn't seem to mind all the leads from his chest, face and head...until the nasal cannula was placed, and the little dude freaked! Thankfully, he was so tired by this point that it only took a few minutes to settle him down to sleep.

He did his usual flipping and flopping and waking numerous times through out the night. The GREAT news is that his CO2 levels were fine through the night, so he didn't have to undergo the arterial blood gas (a really painful blood test) that his Pulmonologist had ordered for this morning. And his O2 sats seemed to be okay through the night, so as a preliminary reading (granted, the tech couldn't tell me much), it seems as if he won't need any oxygen at night right now. Praise God!!
I slept beside him all night long and tried my best to untangle him from his wired-ponytail each time he flipped around. I am anxious to hear about how many apneas he had during the study, as I could audibly hear (how's that for a double entendre?) him holding his breath, then gasping and waking up from the gasp. And he did snore from time to time. We should receive the full report in a couple of weeks.

I'm really glad that this test is over and we won't have to do another one for quite a while...hopefully. I smelled coffee sometime in the wee hours of the morning and seriously contemplated finding the source and pouring a cup. The wasn't much sleep to be had on my side of the bed as I remembered why I've always dreaded sleeping with floppy mcfloppy at night.

On a different note, Hailey is doing very well. My dad just texted me a couple of pictures of her watching cartoons, and she looks so much better than I had expected. She is precious, I tell ya. We are so very thankful for God's wonderful blessings through Hailey's surgery and recovery, and we pray for a continued speedy recovery with no setbacks.

3 comments:

Amanda on May 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM said...

Okay, seriously, you should have prepared us for those pictures girl! I've still got a little lump in my throat.

I'm so glad the things that you found out already are good and I pray it will be a long long time(if ever)before he needs oxygen at night. God love him!!!

Also wonderful news about Hailey. I'll keep praying everything stays well.

mollie on May 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM said...

Great news about Hailey! The Nate man is a trooper. Those pictures are so cute! (only a nurse would sa that...)he is adorable. Hope YOU are catching up on some sleep!

LifeFocus Photography on May 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM said...

Poor little guy looks so pitiful with all those wires hooked up to him. He was such a little trooper! Glad the test went okay.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez