Monday, June 15, 2009

From generation to generation


As the kiddos grow older, I find that I tend to introduce them to things in life that I found pleasure in when I was yet a wee bonnie lass. I sit back and enjoy watching the smiles on their faces as they watch the shows and movies of my childhood...Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, An American Tail, McGee and Me, and Tom & Jerry. I love to listen to the stories of Adventures in Odyssey with the girls and think back on the times when I would listen to those same stories in the van while running errands with my parents back in the day.

Ours days are filled with making up silly words to the song "Peanut, Peanut Butter...and Jelly!" And I try to periodically chant "Abby, Abby you ain't no good. You can't tote water and you can't chop wood." The kids climb trees, jump in nasty puddles, make mud pies and "soups" that consist of water, red berries, prickly leaves, a couple of rocks, some sand and black dirt, and the dried worm from the driveway. It's delicious. They catch beetles and caterpillars and frogs and lizards. And when I think back on all of these fun things they do each day, I realize that I taught them these things because they were what made up so many of the wonderful memories of my own childhood, and I long for my children to experience those same carefree days.

One of the major additions to our daily lives growing up was the sound of music being played in the house. My grandmother plays music all of the time, and subsequently does my father as well...and like families go, this desire to be engulfed in music on a daily basis trickled down to yet another generation. iTunes was made specifically for me. Betcha didn't know that, huh? They know our credit card number by heart. I love music...plain and simple. And by listening to CDs for a good portion of every day at home, I believe that the girls have attached themselves to the love of good music as well.

The best part of all of this...where there is music, there is dancing. And where there is dancing, there is laughter. And where there is laughter, there are good memories being made. And that makes my heart very, very happy.

We are in Marco Island for the rest of the week, so the blog posts may be sporadic at best. Next Monday, Jay's parents will get here...they are babysitting the kiddos while I am in D.C. at the Mitochondrial Disease Symposium (and Jay is at work). I'll leave on that Thursday morning. So, a busy couple of weeks for our family. We'll hopefully be back to a regular blogging program after the D.C. trip. I can't wait to be able to share of the info I receive while there.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez