Thursday, July 23, 2009

What a week!


We have been brought down to our knees with humbleness and thanksgiving a couple of times this week as God has used dear friends to show us that He is still in control and watching over Nathan and our family. During times when we are praying and searching for guidance, it is incredibly comforting when God seems to show us His will in certain situations.
Through the generosity of others, the decision has been made that Jay is indeed going to accompany Nathan and myself to Houston in the fall. We had originally decided that he would stay home and keep the girls since Abby will be in school, but it is such a relief to me that he is going to be coming with us now. This will make the trip a lot less stressful, and it will give an extra set of ears (and arms for wrangling Nateman) at the appt. I am so happy that he is coming!And also through the kindness and generosity of others, we now have a pediatric pulse oximeter. This was something that we were supposed to be getting soon, but due to the emotional exhaustion of all of this oxygen talk, I have not called the nurse back to purchase the pulse ox. I couldn't help but tear up when I opened the mysterious box last night housing the pulse ox. We really needed it.
After quite a few spot checks on Nathan over the past day, our suspicions are showing to be true...the little guy seems to desat when he is active. I have seen a couple of 91 readings right after activity (when he is retracting deeply) and an 88 that I think was accurate because his heart rate was pretty high at the same time. There are times when it gives a low reading that I think is a false reading because his heart rate doesn't coorelate to the decrease in oxygen, but for the most part, it does look like he is indeed desatting when he is retracting so deeply. At the same time, he comes back up to 98/99 rather quickly when he sits still for a few seconds.
I am keeping a log of these events and readings, and I think this can help us all make the decisions on the best treatment route for the little guy...and help ease my and Jay's mind about whatever route his doctors think is best. We are so very thankful for the means to this information.
Nathan had an appt with the dietician this morning, and she went over some ways to help plump the fellar up. Nate is officially on the anti-weight watchers diet, as we are trying to fatten up every ounce of food he consumes. Our ammunition consists of heavy whipping cream, ice cream, carnation instant breakfast, lots of butter, and other calorie/fat boosters. The dietician said that Nathan needs to get up to 22 pounds without getting taller to get him where he needs to be weight-wise right now. Currently, he is around 20.4 pounds. I offered to give some of the fat hugging tightly to my thighs, but she didn't seem to be gung-ho for that idea.We are heading out tomorrow morning to spend the weekend with some of our dear friends. There will be 7 kiddos, with Abby being the oldest...it should be interesting. Of course, I will have tons of pictures when we get back.

1 comments:

Amber Schmidt on August 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...

Girl... I have been so over my head with life in our neck of the woods that I have barely been able to breathe... I stink as a friend! I feel you on the weight thing. Do you know... we figured out a week ago that we had been MIS-mixing Ky's formula... O M G.... yeah... not enough calories for about 6 months. Nice.

Praying for Nathan all the time!!!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez