Monday, August 24, 2009

Kindergarten


My dearest Abigail,

You had a hard time falling asleep last night because you were so excited about today, and you couldn't stop smiling all morning long as you prepared for this first exciting day. It warms my heart beyond measure to see you this excited, and I appreciated your attitude, as today would have been so much harder on your poor mama if you were apprehensive about starting school. Emma gave you a hug before we left, and you affectionately said "Goodbye, my Rosebud", which is Emma's "doggy" name in one of your many pretend games the two of you have played for the past couple of years. She has been asking me all morning when she is going to get have an "eat-over" with you at school, as I have promised that we would eat lunch with you someday soon. There are a few days in your life that are clearly etched into our memories. I remember your birth like it was yesterday...the room, the smells, holding you for the very first time and staring deeply into your eyes. I remember sitting in the living room floor as you took your first steps back and forth between your father and myself. When you first told me you loved me, unprompted, we were sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast and I felt my heart swell larger than I thought it could. I remember every aspect of you coming to the hospital to meet your new baby sister...and later your baby brother. The look on your face as you looked down at the little being that would be such an integral part of your world and our family is something that I hope to never forget...it was the look of pure love.
One more memory that will be etched in my mind is that one of your first day of kindergarten. I felt your tight grip in my hand as we walked down the hall to your classroom. Each time I would have to pull my hand away and do something, you would instantly grab it again as soon as it hit my side. You put your lunchbox in the holder, your backpack in your cubby, and sat in the floor with a book while waiting for the rest of the class to get there. A couple of pictures and a quick kiss later, I walked out of the room with a little bit of my heart left behind.
I am excited about what this year holds for you. And I really can't wait until you get home and tell me all about your day. And even though you looked so big and grown up all of a sudden as your entered the doors of your elementary school, you will always forever be my baby girl. I love you, my darling Abby.

13 comments:

Tara on August 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM said...

Ok so now, I'm crying! Such a sweet letter and video and she looks so grown up on her first day of school! Anxious to hear about it! Love ya'll!

Mrs. Hinson on August 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM said...

So, I'm crying too! How precious! I hope she had a wonderful 1st day!

Dani on August 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM said...

Amber, you sure know how to get the rest of us crying right along with you. Hope she had a great first day at school.

TracyVDM on August 24, 2009 at 11:26 AM said...

You know how to bring out the tears, that's for sure. Part of my problem is knowing that I will be doing this one year from now and it terrifies me!

A Trailer Park Mom on August 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM said...

Seesh Amber! Thanks for the cry! :P Loved the little video. I hope that Abby has an awesome first day!

His Mercy Endureth Forever on August 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM said...

Makes me remember my kids going off to kg. Hope Abby has a great first day! And I hope Emma and Nate survive the day without her!

Amanda on August 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM said...

Sniff sniff

Kayla on August 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM said...

I'm crying. I can't imagine what tears you have shed today. I'm so glad she was excited and I know she will have a great day.

Michelle Garvin said...

Oh, this brought me back to Avery's first day of PreSchool and I can't imagine how difficult it will be in a few years when Kindy rolls around! Can't wait to hear all about her first day!

skye on August 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM said...

Perfect :) That is one of my all-time favorite songs!!! I hope she had a great day :)

Anonymous said...

Now I'm crying. I can not wait for the next post to hear about her day. Love Ya, Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, that made me cry. Beautiful pictures and beautiful song...

Linda

The Princess on August 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM said...

That was very sweet...and just watching her grow up in the pictures makes it seem like it has gone by so fast! She's such a big girl now!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez