Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Life at the sandbox


I laid beside my oldest, trying desperately to coax her cranky butt into taking a nap...which are pretty much non-existent in her world these days. I figured that the extra snuggle time would cause her brain to slow down enough to give her some much needed rest. Read that: I was totally making excuses to get a few minutes of shut eye myself.

Abby: (grinning from ear to ear as her eyes lit up with joy) I played with Andrew in the sand today at recess. He threw sand in my hair.
Me: Did he get in trouble?
Abby: Oh no. It was fine. I threw sand at him too. It's okay as long as Mrs. S doesn't see you. We had a lot of fun together.
After managing a long lecture about "obeying the rules no matter if anyone is watching or not", I couldn't help but reflect on how much she has changed in the past few months. 3 months ago, she was running into arms of our pastor at church and wrapping her lanky arms around his neck. Everything we heard was "Brother David this" and "Brother David that" as she professed her love for him on a regular basis. But that season has seemed to have passed for the most part, and she has moved on to smaller and younger men in her life...specifically, those who still have hair.
I overheard the Absters talking to her friend the other day about the boys in their class, and I felt like an outsider in her life for the first time. She had opinions and likes and dislikes and giggled like a little...well...schoolgirl when talking about her little sandbox friend. I'm still learning a lot each day in the life of mothering kiddos that continue to grow older with each rise of the sun. This week's lesson: If you like someone, just throw some sand their way.

4 comments:

Dana on October 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM said...

Make me cry why don't ya Amber! ;)

Amanda on October 21, 2009 at 9:38 AM said...

Ones that have hair.....hahahahah!!!!

Mike on October 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM said...

Throwing sand your way...
- Dad

~sydney~ on October 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM said...

This may be one of the sweetest and cutest posts yet! How sweet and FUNNY! "One that still have hair" HA!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez