Thursday, January 28, 2010

For sweeter dreams


My sweet hubby came home from a meeting yesterday evening just in time for the littlest guy and I to venture out to the sleep clinic for another sleep study. Since starting oxygen, the docs have been curious as to if Nate's sleep efficiency and central apneas are a bit improved than previously...we shall know a bit more when we receive the report in a couple of weeks.
Nathan sure has been through a lot in his 2 years of life, and quite a lot of it has not been pleasant for him by any means, with quite a bit being extremely painful. I would totally expect him to freak out at the mere sight of medical equipment or personnel. As he has gotten older, it has been more difficult with some procedures because he understands what is about to happen when he sees certain objects (like the stretchy blue tourniquets he has had wrapped around his arm countless times through his life). I would expect him to freak out...which makes me beam with pride when he accepts the challenge at hand with more courage than I thought would be possible for an almost 2 year old.
Nathan chose to sit on the bed by himself last night during the hook-up process of his sleep study. He calmly watched an Elmo DVD and endured the numerous wires and tape being applied all over his body without complaint (minus the second cannula inserted into his nose which was a total crowd to his nose holes...something I don't think I could muster). He was so brave and polite...and so big. The tech commented on how easy he was, and we both talked about how it was such a mixed blessing...great that he was comfortable enough with all the "equipment" but sad that it was because he has been through so much already. I was one proud mama last night as I watched my darling son.
Nate did fine during the study...you never truly get the best sleep during a sleep study, which is all kind of ironic. But our sleep lab is really great and try to make you as comfortable as possible. They took Nate off his O2 for a little bit through the night to see how his body responded, and I was told this morning that he definitely does better with it on than off, as they saw changes in his heart rate and respiratory rate when they turned the oxygen off. These are changes we have been aware of for a while during the day, so it is interesting that they see these changes at night as well. We get an in depth look at his entire study in a couple of weeks.

He's a special little guy, this son of mine. I'm so happy to be his mom.

6 comments:

3saints on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM said...

What a doll...oh my you just want to squeeze him!
We still use oxygen to, it really is helpful to Kyle. Esp at night!

Warmly
Kate

Stephanie on January 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM said...

I'm so impressed!!! My little guy screamed his head off the entire time they put everything on him. It was awful! Your little guy is darling!! And such a trooper!

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for you to write. Every time it is like a new series to a new book. I am so proud of Nateman! Way to go little Dude!
Love,
Nina

Dawn said...

Your guy is so cute and a real trooper!! Our kids deal with so many things: I truly believe God gives a special kind of grace to them as He does us during difficult times. Sara had a sleep study on Monday night. She did very well also.

Nicole on January 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM said...

Amber he is just adorable. He has the most gorgeous eyes. You can see the strength of his little spirit in them!

Heidi on January 31, 2010 at 1:20 AM said...

awwww, adorable even attached to so many wires, what a little champ! It is amazing how our littleones adapt to these uncomfortable and often painful procedures. Its good to know that the oxygen is helping. I pray the results look better. Your family is always in my prayers, hugs-Heidi & Jack.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez