Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2 years


My dear Nathan,

Your sisters were laughing in another room, and your curiosity and zeal to be in the middle of everything got the best of you. You left the book we were reading together, gave me a quick "Bye-Bye Mama" and blew me the sweetest kiss as you were leaving. A few steps away, you made an abrupt turn back, and with your puppy dog eyes peering directly into me and your arms stretched out on each side of your body, you said "Hug, Mama" as you ran to me and buried your cheek into my shoulder and wrapped your arms around my chest. My heart melted in that instant...just like it has so many times in the past 2 years.

My son, my darling son...once again I am sitting here completely unsure of how to get all the thoughts and emotions swirling around my head into writing. You have changed me. The ideas and circumstances that were so intense in my mind before you entered into our lives seem so trivial and minute now. I am slowly learning to savor and enjoy each day we have been given, as we truly don't understand what circumstances lie ahead of us that may forever change the lives we currently know. I am constantly amazed at how someone so little can teach volumes about life, love, and God's incredible blessings and mercy in our lives.

You are a brave soldier in this life, my son. Your courage to face daily challenges and circumstances is something that I constantly strive to master in my own life. You face the many unpleasant situations you routinely encounter with the courage of a lion. No matter what you endure, you always end with a smile on your face that showcases the cutest little dimpled cheek...winning the hearts of all that witness it.

Oh Nate, you have just the best personality. You are such an easy-going kiddo who takes just about everything in stride. By far, you are truly the easiest toddler we have had behavior-wise (knock on wood), as you are extremely obedient and seem to have an intense desire to please everyone. And sweet...my darling son, you are so dang sweet. Your heart is precious, and it shows in your interactions with others. Along with your sweet spirit, you seem to be following your sisters in the goofball area...oh, you make us laugh so much. You even make yourself laugh with some of the tricks you try while figuring out the ins and outs of social humor. I have said so many times lately that right now, you are just so much fun to be around.

Your relationship with your sisters runs so deep. Abby is your best friend, and it is so fun to watch you shriek with excitement each day we pick her up from school. The two of you are really inseparable when she is home...you look up to her so much. Emma is your pal each day, and amidst some serious pestering you two have mastered, you get along well. She plays trains and cars with you, and you will repay the favor by playing with the dollhouse or letting her put barrettes in your hair. I am so thankful for the closeness you all have together.

My darling Nafey, this year has been tough on many standpoints. We have received good news at times, and we have received hard news at other times. I have to admit that I get nervous and frightened each time I think about the upcoming years, but then I am reminded that I have today...we have today. God has given us today to enjoy...and today is a wonderful day. You have changed me, my sweet boy, and I am so thankful for that. I love you, Nathan. Happy 2nd Birthday!

19 comments:

Sophie on February 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM said...

Happy Happy Birthday Nathan!!!!!!

Danielle on February 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! Beautiful, Beautiful words Amber! Hugs to you!!!

Jodi on February 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM said...

Oh dear, I'm a blubbering mess now. What a precious boy you have and what a great reminder to savor each day! God bless your sweet little man and your whole family, Amber :)

Stephanie Turner said...

Oh I'm trying to suppress the tears...that was beautiful. Happy Birthday Nathan!

AmyP on February 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! You are such a handsome big boy.

Kelly Spezzano on February 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM said...

Precious words! Precious Pictures! Precious Boy! Precious Family!

Happy Birthday Nate!

Amanda on February 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda on February 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM said...

Dito to what Kelly said! Can't believe it's been two years, my how time flies!!!! Please tell Nathan that James and Audrey wish him a happy birthday and they love it when he laughs!!

CAN'T WAIT to see y'all in a few days!!!!!!!

skye on February 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM said...

You're killin' me, Amber! That was so sweet!

Happy, happy birthday sweet little Nathan!

Beth on February 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! We Love You!

Nicole on February 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! I can't believe how much he's talking, he is stinkin' adorable! Thanks for sharing Amber, he truly is a gift from God!

Tara on February 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM said...

I know I'm an emotional wreck right now anyway,but oh my gosh that video made me cry like a baby! I remember all those pictures and milestones and can't believe it has been 2 years already, since Nathan has been in our lives! Happy Birthday Nate, We Love You!

Michelle on February 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Happy Birthday Nate! What a beautiful video! Your life has touched so many!

Heidi on February 26, 2010 at 7:39 AM said...

Sheesh Amber, now you got me crying too...so beautiful, he's so beautiful. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nathan, we love you.

jess said...

Well, I made it about halfway before I fell apart. So absolutely endearing, that child! I am so glad you have such a gift to capture those precious moments that pass so fast. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NATHAN!!!

oh amanda on February 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM said...

I can't believe it's been 2 years, Amber! How can he be that old and big (and adorable)?!! It makes me so happy, tho' to see the amazing miracles in his life. If someone had read your post about him when you were pregnant and even when you first got a real diagnosis, they would be amazed to see the pictures and LIFE in Nate. I love you guys and always pray for you!

Happy birthday, Nate!

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful, Amber! Happy Birthday Nathan!

Brandy B

Cassie on May 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM said...

can you tell me the name of that song please? thanks!! :) What a beautiful slideshow!

Amber on May 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM said...

Cassie, It's "Breathe In, Breathe Out" by Mat Kearney

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez