Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Guardian Angels


I had the wonderful privilege to meet 3 of Nathan's guardian angels a few days ago.

Let me rewind a bit...

Abby was out of school on Monday, so we spent the day with a really good friend who is currently on bed rest. Let's call this friend "Tara", for name's sake. So, Tara is currently baking a wee little Bama fan who will have a brisk Gator brainwashing session this side of the womb, but that is for another story. In the mean time, due to seriously intense blood pressure/preeclampsia issues, this friend is on strict bed rest until Bama Baby is born.
The "friend" and I have been known to get ourselves into some precarious situations when we are together, and this day was no different. As we were laughing and cutting up (very calmly so not to rise the blood pressure), the kiddos were all playing mere feet from us in the fenced-in back yard. It's a small backyard, so we could clearly see the kids enjoying themselves on the cool winter day...setting the scene here, just setting the scene.
All was well in the land of friends...everyone was playing nicely and contently. The girls were running through the house in Cinderella dresses and heels, and Nathan was happily trying to figure out the right amount of pestering he could do to the dog without her snapping at him. Everyone was in and out of the sliding glass door over and over. I thought the calmness of the situations would be the perfect time to spend a little magazine time in the restroom...you know, when nature calls...

Retreating from the People magazine, I noticed that Tara was not in her recliner. Obviously, I started raising a ruckus at the fact that the gal on strict bed rest was not even on recliner rest...until I noticed that the front door was opened, showcasing 3 very, very large african american men...with gold teeth. One of whom was holding a ragamuffin looking kid dressed in only a sweater and diaper with some sort of nasal cannula flapping in the wind. Oh yeah, that would be MY KID.Okay, shoot me for being stereotypical, but 3 large gold-teeth bearing men at the front door is rather skeery. They handed Nathan over, who was completely unphased by the odd situation, and proceeded to give us a tongue thrashing on why it is important to watch your kids at all times because dangerous things happen in the world. We bowed our heads in shame, thanked them, and locked the doors behind us...come on, we're women who get skeered easily.

Turns out that there was a little crack at the gate, and the dog got out. In typical 2 year old fashion, the kid followed the dog, and at some point his oxygen cannula came unhooked from the other tubing. Tara said that it was rather quiet out the door, but she hadn't seen Nate's tubing move, so she figured he was just playing like usual. Nate was found chasing the dog down the street, like 4 houses down...in a sweater and a diaper and a cannula. Who is this kid's mother? I refuse to think about what could have happened if those guys wouldn't have seen the pantless kid prancing through the neighborhood.
So, that is how I met 3 of Nathan's guardian angels. They may not have had wings, but they fo' sho had plenty of bling.

10 comments:

Ceridwen on February 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM said...

I'm glad that he's safe and I think "Tara's" nickname suits her nicely. :)

Heidi on February 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM said...

(((hugs))) Amber, whew! Im glad he was OK. My first thought was, how did they know where this pant-less child lived? Guardian angels indeed!

OK, I have to tell you my very similar experience when my little girl was 2 (minus the 3 men!) I plopped Senna down to watch Barney (sorry, but Barney was very popular in the mid 90's!) I went upstairs to nurse her brand-new baby brother down, and not more than 10 mins later I heard a lot of honking outside. We lived in an apt at the time so didnt think too much about the honking. BUT just then I thought of Senna, wondering if she figured out how to unlock the front door! I was right, I jumped up and found the front door open. AND there was my tiny 18lb baby girl standing at the end of the parking lot with just a diaper and a pair of pink socks! It was the postman that was honking, hoping to alert some irresposible mother! Whew, that was the last time I assumed any of my littleones couldnt figure out a deadbolt! It happens to the best of us...so glad there was a good ending! hugs to your littleones, and congrats to your friend, hoping for a safe delivery!
Heidi & Jack.

Jay on February 18, 2010 at 5:23 AM said...

Gold teeth is called a grill, not bling. Your Urban Husband

Kim and Asa on February 18, 2010 at 8:00 AM said...

Isn't O2 supposed to be a good enough babysitter?! I mean, what do ya have it for if it won't do it's job! LOL

I'm glad he was safe and angels do come in all shapes and sizes!!

Kim
www.celebratinginchstones.blogspot.com

Nicole on February 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM said...

Wow, I'm glad he was ok! That's a great story though! :)

Barb on February 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM said...

Wow. I'm so glad he's okay.

Melody on February 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM said...

Yep..he's right. It is called a grill (those of us who used to work in an inner city school district get a total education on that sort of thing! LOL!

Wow, I am so glad he was ok. We lost Nicholas in WalMart one day, so I know that scary feeling. Don't feel too bad...it happens to everyone. Glad his big burly angels had their eyes on him and were able to get him back to you. Hugs...

Mike on February 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM said...

LOL! That's still a great last line - even if the critics did pick it apart! Ha. Thanks Raphael, Gabriel, and Clarence, fo fetchin de boy back t'his mama. May God bless you for your kindness.

Anonymous said...

Ok now I'm a little scared, how did these guys know where Tara lives! Oh,I mean "Tara". - Amanda McCook

aprilnoshoes on February 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM said...

Girl, you know this both freaked me out and cracked me up at the same time! I can just imagine the guys with the "grills" holding little Nathan out like "Man, what are we supposed to do with this?!"

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez