Friday, March 19, 2010

Adventures in potty training


I would be doing an injustice to society as a whole if I didn't share too valuable lessons I have learned this week...

#1: In putting a boy down for a nap in a pull-up, it is imperative that you make sure that his "manhood" is not peeking out over the top of the pull-up to see what it can see in the world. If this is the case, you will hence and forever more have a pee stain on the mattress pad cover and a boy drenched with ammonia smell from top to bottom. Add in a little riboflavin, and you will have glow in the dark neon yellow sheets (the mito world shall know what I'm talking about with that one). Bottom line: "manhood" needs to be tucked away neatly.
#2: When taking a kid to the bathroom in the morning and discarding of the night's diaper, it is probably a good idea to put on some skivvies or the like on the kiddo before zipping the footy pajamas back up...especially if the muchkin is not doing exceptionally well at informing the caregiver before he proceeds to go in the #2 department. Having a kid come to you with a lump in the leg of the footy pajamas is not a good way to start the day...especially if he was been kneading the lump with his toes for a while.

Other than those, Nate is doing very well in with potty training. The first time he pooped, he jumped up with excitement because he thought he had peed. He started chanting his "I pee-peed in the pottay" speech when he looked down at his other-worldly remnants and said "OH NO MAMA! What is THAT?" He has been mortified at the sight of the prize in the potty each and every time he has pooped on it since then. Funny kid. I'm sure he'll get used to the sight before too long though and be a pro at explaining the intricate details of them once he hits about 55.

The little guy has been "off" all week. Mostly non-specific things like lower tone, skin coloring and mottling, elevated heart rate, more labored breathing, retching, pure exhaustion...all things that makes us realize that his body is under some kind of stress. His temp was 95-96 for a couple of days, so I kept him bundled up in covers to raise his body temp a bit...again, he does this periodically when he is under some stress. I took him into the ped on Tuesday, and while she agreed that something was going on, she couldn't figure it out then. He got more "off" as the days went on, and last night's fever and cough/runny nose clued me in that I needed to have him checked once again. Sure enough, he had an ear infection, and I was so relieved to hear the doc say those words. "Off" weeks are always so hard because you never know what is wrong, but to know that it is something that can be treated is such a huge relief! Hopefully the little guy will be back to himself in a couple of days.

3 comments:

Kelly Spezzano on March 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM said...

I was sharing with Tina O and "Ga Ga" how much I laugh when I read your blogs... I think I may have split my sides today though... especially since potty training a boy is in the not too far future for me! :)

I only wish that the funnies were all you had to write about and not the "not funnies at all"- we still pray for you all and hope that Nate has a season of good health!

Mama Ham on March 19, 2010 at 8:59 PM said...

OMG-I am about to "bust a gut" laughing at the thought of it sticking out of the top. That is so funny!!! On on a much heavier note...I totally understand what you mean about being excited when it's "only" an ear infection!

Heidi on March 23, 2010 at 5:28 AM said...

These pics are precious, AND I do see the weight gain! YAY! Love his little belly now! WTG Nate on the potty training! This is huge for his age, especially in Mito world. It took age 6 for us with Jack, so youre wayyyy ahead girl!

So sorry he's under the weather but was actually relieved to see it ended up being an ear infection. Always good to be told its just something normal going on for once. Sending your sweet guys some hugs--
Heidi & JAck.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez