Wednesday, April 14, 2010

2 different species...


...at least that is how it seems sometimes. Of course, I would be referring to my dear darling little girls. Almost exactly 2 years apart, spun from the same genetic background and raised in the same lunatic family, you would think that these two could be a bit more alike than they are. But in an effort to obviously keep their parents on their toes and constantly praying for advice, God has created these two sisters to be about as different as coconuts and butter beans. The first born...the natural born-pleaser...the one who lives life emotionally. This kid is always going and always wanting to learn. One of our daily statements to her is "Stop asking so many questions!"...which totally may sound harsh...until you spend a good 8 hours with her and start uttering those same words. She has such a thirst for knowledge and understanding on how human emotions work. Yet, she often has her own little idiosyncrasies that completely drive everyone around her batty...
Then there's the second one...I don't know how else to describe her other than "SHE'S A MESS!!" In every sense of the phrase, she's a total mess. She doesn't care as much about what others think about her, and her number one thought often seems to be whether she will be inconvenienced or not...or else it seems that way. But oh.my.word. this kid is hilarious. She makes life so dang interesting! Case in point: during our weekly handshake at church on Sunday, she shook hands with a dear member in front of us and then immediately turned back to my direction and matter-of-factly uttered "You've got to be careful with this one coming up" before instantly turning around and shaking hands with an elderly and more delicate member of our church. I couldn't stop laughing...through the handshake and two days later, I laughed every single time I played that scenario in my head. This kid...she is a riot.
I informed Abby today that the student teacher who has been in their classroom nearly the entire year would be leaving after Friday, and she lost it. Like hyperventilation-style crying "lost it". Granted, it wasn't too long after we had just gotten out of watching "How to train your dragon" where she tried so desperately hard not to cry and failed miserably, so her emotions were a bit in limbo. I should have known better than to bring up the topic. While holding and rocking the tender-hearted kid, Emma walked up with her hands on her hips while shaking her head from side to side in dismay and uttered "Hmmm, someone needs a nap!" while pointing to her heartbroken sister.

Yes, I would say that these two are about as different as coconuts and butter beans. That's the only way to describe them.

7 comments:

The Whitsitt Family on April 15, 2010 at 2:49 AM said...

What a sweet bunch you have. We have an Emma in our family too, and she's just as your describe your Emma. She has such a sense of humor. She's the middle child too maybe that has something to do with it.

I remember getting very attached to a student teacher of mine while I was in elementary school. I remember crying when she had to leave.

I hope your movie was good. That is one I would like to take Jack to see soon. He's very into dragons right now.

Amy

Heidi on April 15, 2010 at 7:12 AM said...

Love those girls! Emma, you crack me up, too funny!
Heidi & Jack.

Carol on April 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

I enjoy reading about your sweet family. :) I completely understand, as I have a coconut and a butter bean myself. Keeps life interesting, to say the least, huh?

Ash on April 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM said...

If I didn't know better, I would have thought you were describing my own girls! My oldest is very much like yours...loves to learn and is like a sponge, yet very sensitive and emotional. My youngest is completely opposite from her sister and sounds so much like your Emma. She has a way about her (a lovable way, of course!)...she's a leader, for sure!

Between the 3 there is never a dull moment...it keeps things exciting! ;-)

Ashley

Gin on April 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM said...

I know I've probably said this multiple times, but my girls (Mallory 6 and Kendall 4) sound identical to yours. So many times while reading your blog, it sounds like you are talking about my kids. lol They would all 4 be a hoot together!

mollie on April 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM said...

sweet post :)
Jack is also DEVESTATED by the upcoming departure of his student teacher "Miss Hanna" who he adores!When I drop him off in the mornings she greets him at the door and he blushes....
sweetness :)

mikejogs on April 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM said...

That pic of Emma drinking a cola while kicking the soccer ball captures her personality to a "T". Brilliant shot!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez