Thursday, July 1, 2010

10 years


I remember the first time I saw him. Church...close to the front with his arm around a girl. 'Cute couple', I remember thinking.

When he was sitting across from me explaining the details of college and what all those numbers after classes meant (english 101, math 109) and all I could do was focus on how one side of his top lip rose up in a cute little Elvis way when he talked, I realized that my thoughts about him were different than I had ever experienced. I was young...really young...and those feelings were strange and exhilarating simultaneously.Many years later, I realized for the first time that those feelings may have been mutual when walking out of a restaurant with friends, he put his hand on the small of my back to lead me out of the door. And a few days later as we watched the Cincinnati Pops perform the Phantom of the Opera, he did the same again to lead me down to our seats. I remember being scared and excited and unsure of how to feel or proceed...dating could risk a great friendship if things didn't work out...or it could end up being perfect...I remember watching TV together just a few months later, trying to tame my heart from beating out of my chest as I prepared to ask a question I had wondered about for a while: "Where is 'this' going?" That was the first night we discussed marriage and our future together.Through many miles of distance as we visited our families at Christmas, he told me over the phone about the diamond we would use for an engagement ring...the one his father gave his mother quite a few years previously. A couple of months later on a cold winter night, he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.
4 months later on a hot July afternoon, the doors of the sanctuary opened and revealed the sweetest look on the face of the one standing at the end of the aisle.10 years, 4 moves, 3 kids and countless memories have filled the days since that blessed day on July 1, 2000. The traditional wedding anniversary gift for 10 years is tin and the modern gift is aluminum, so we have decided to gift each other with a brand new air conditioning unit for the house since our old one decided to kick the bucket. An air conditioned house during these Florida summers is sometimes more valuable than gold and silver.It has been an amazing 10 years...Happy Anniversary, my sweet darling.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy for you both...may the Lord continue to richly bless you both and the marriage you have made. God Bless, Mark & Regina Lawrence
10 years for us in August! :)

Clara-Leigh on July 4, 2010 at 1:14 AM said...

God knew what he was doing when he brought you two together. Just beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your reflections of the 10 years with all of us.....sniff....sniff....so sweet!!!! Love seeing people still in love!!!!
Hugs,
Clara-Leigh

Verna on July 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you!

Brittany on July 4, 2010 at 1:35 PM said...

I loved hearing stories about how two people come together. So sweet! God Bless You Guys!

Dani on July 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM said...

Tin and Aluminum, an AC unit would definately meet those. :)

mikejogs on July 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM said...

What a good looking couple you two made...and make! :) Love, Dad

Hannah Lea on July 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM said...

love this! and love ya'll :)
happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! How wonderful a testimony to the Lord for you both! I remember when Lee first looked at me...it still gets me!
Love,
Nina

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez