Thursday, July 29, 2010

Making Summertime Memories

Growing up, we always lived away from both sets of my grandparents. I have fond memories of traveling to their houses around Christmas and spring and summer breaks, but I also have very vivid memories of when they would make the trek to our house from time to time. I would climb our little dogwood tree to as high as I could muster in an attempt to try to peek onto the street that led to our house and hopefully see their car enter into our driveway. The waiting seemed unbearable at times as we impatiently awaited the arrival of the anticipated hugs and kisses...and gifts.
Experiencing this from a parental view is still just as fun as I watch the kids run back and forth to the windows to hopefully be the first to see their grandparent's car pull into the driveway. The not-so-fun part of that scenario is the repetitive "how much lonnnnggggger??" in whiney, drawn out voices that makes me want to crawl up the walls. The drama of waiting immediately turns to shrieks of excitement at the first sight of the long-distance travelers.
Jay's parents came in Monday just in time to take the girls to lunch while Nate's therapist came for her visit...much to the chagrin of the little dude, who was none too happy that the girls took off without him. Due to the death of a member of their church, the visit with the grandparents was cut quite short, but it was jammed full of fun. We all enjoyed breaking in the Wii, and our little gamer taught his grandparents how to play the various games on the ipad...quite the change of activities since I was a little girl with my grandparents, but a blast, nonetheless.
Jay and his dad worked continuously on projects around the house, and Jay's mom entertained the kids. Emma was pretty much strapped to her side the entire 2 days, which just solidified our feelings that she is "Grammie's little clone".
Nate and I headed to the dentist's office one day so that he could get his very first cavity filled. He was a little saint in that dental chair...opening his mouth when they said to open, staying completely still, and not trying to bite the dentist's fingers off. He has always been fairly calm in these types of environments, but I was even shocked at how well he was behaved the whole time there.
The visit was short but was full of love and wonderful memories all packed together. It was a time I know the kids will remember for a long time to come.


Keely on July 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM said...

So sorry the visit was cut short, but glad it was fun regardless!!

That picture of Nate jumping into the water... Oh my goodness - you guys seriously need to strike up an advertising deal with your HHC (or any HHC!!)... that boy is a posterchild!

Blog Archive



Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez