Tuesday, December 28, 2010

7 years


My dearest Abigail,

You sat in my lap this evening, holding on to every word coming from my mouth as I relived the night you were born. I enjoy thinking back to that precious night that changed our lives forever. I can still see those big, bright eyes peering into mine for the very first time. It seems like only yesterday...

I am being completely honest when I say that I can't believe you are 7 years old. I can't believe it. I vividly remember being 7 and thinking I was big stuff...and now to have a daughter who is that same age is hard to fathom. Looking back over the past year in pictures, I was struck by how much you have grown physically in the past few months. You no longer have any inkling of babyness in your face...such a bittersweet milestone.

Not only have you grown physically, but intellectually as well. My goodness girl, you are smart! It amazes me how fast you learn and how much desire you have to cram as much knowledge into your brain. I absolutely love that about you. You are excelling in school and doing above and beyond what most kids your age are doing academically. You love to read and write...in fact, one of the only things you requested for Christmas was "lots of books".

You also grew mentally this year. It was a year full of tough questions for you and tough answers for me. "How exactly did I come out of your belly?", "Why are some kids mean?", and "Why does Nathan have to have mitochondrial disease?" It was a year of tough revelations in your young life...most of which I hoped you would be a lot older before the understanding caught up with you. But like I mentioned, you are so smart and are figuring life issues out a whole lot earlier than I planned or imagined.

You are incredibly compassionate in so many ways. You can not stand to see anyone upset and will do everything you can to please those you love. One day this summer as you attended vacation bible school at a local church, you came home with a prayer bracelet you had made with numerous beads signifying those you wanted to keep in your prayers...children with a disease, people in the hospital, people without a home or food, and your family. You wore that bracelet for ages, and I smiled each time I saw it as I thought about your sweet compassion for those in need.

My sweet girl, I pray that this upcoming year will be the amazing blessing with you that the previous 7 have been. As you grow older, I see you trying different communication tactics (specifically sassiness) as you try so desperately to figure out where you fit in this difficult land of growing up. It's a tough road sometimes to know what to say and how to say it, how to act and what to do. But please know that we will be here beside you as you start to travel through some tougher years ahead, secretly trying to hold your hand and navigate you through the tough spots. We pray that God will give us all the guidance to direct you in the ways he will have you go in these upcoming years.

We love you, our precious Abby. You are a beacon in our life each and every day. Happy 7th birthday, sweet pea.

6 comments:

Nicole on December 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM said...

Aww, what a beautiful tribute to your sweet girl!

Danette on December 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM said...

Happy Birthday, Abby! We love you!
Sister Danette and Brother Darryl

mikejogs on December 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM said...

Perfect, Amber!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Abby! We Love You! Beth, Brian, Matthew and Lucas

Anonymous said...

Sniff Sniff Sniff...Bravo! Amber as usual you have made tears fall! Happy Birthday Abby!
Love,
Broder Leaf, Sis. Dina, Sarah and Katie Bug!

Wanda on December 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM said...

Happy Birthday, Abby! You will always be a special person in my life.
Love,
"your Wandy"

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez