Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Another weekend with Texas friends


We headed down to Orlando again this weekend to spend some time with Ali and Alex from Dallas. Alex is another little mito friend of ours that we have met throughout our trips to Houston. He and Nate see a lot of the same doctors in the mito clinic our there, and his mom and I clicked immediately upon meeting about a year ago.
The last time I saw Alex, he was quite sick with pancreatitis, and he also came down with a line infection right before Christmas and was intubated and really, really sick. So, it was great to see him looking so good this visit!
Alex is right between the girls in age, and they all had a blast playing together for the short amount of time we were able to spend with them. All 4 of the kids ran around the hotel pretending to be in some kind of "buckle club", whatever that means.
Here are the 4 little hooligans together...don't ask me what Abby is doing. I have no idea what goes through her head most of the time. :)
The next morning, Ali, her sister and I ran the Disney 5K taking place during the half-marathon weekend. Ali's sister lives on the Atlantic side of Florida, and Ali and Alex usually visit them around this time of year. Since the races were this weekend and Orlando is a good central location for us to meet, we decided to run this together.
We essentially run the race of our childrens' lives together...cheering each other on through each day, holding one another up when it gets too difficult, helping guide each other around the sharp corners of uncertainty, and giving support through every single circumstance that seems too tough to do without the help of someone who completely understands the exact same scenario. We are partners...friends...helping each other trudge on through this marathon of having a child with a harsh disease.
So we decided that if were we already accustomed to holding each other up through one difficult race in a figurative way, we could do the same in a literal race...and get in better shape at the same time. Throughout the 3.1 miles, we laughed, cried, encouraged, pushed through the pain and exhaustion, held each other up emotionally, and crossed the finish line side by side. It was an honor to run beside my friend through the duration of that race.
We said goodbye after our run, in hopes that we would possibly see them again in April when we will be in Texas next. I headed back to our hotel and watched as my children had an absolute blast swimming. It was a heated pool, but it was only 9:00 in the morning and outside...and February 26th!! I know it is Florida, but even I was amazed at how early they were able to swim this year and not get cold at all. It was been a gorgeous February here...and early spring.

4 comments:

Clara-Leigh on March 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM said...

HOW FUN!!! I love to run, although I never seem to do it anymore, and my FAVORITE is to run with girlfriends so we can chat!! I ran the Disney 1/2 marathon for Run For Our Sons with one of my best friends whose son has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We had a team of 7 of us, I think and raised over $12,000..YAY!!!I digress...what I meant to say is it looked like you all had a blast, and I wish I could have run too!! My friend Kim and I prayed, cried, laughed and sang and complained lots while we ran last year. It snowed, sleeted and rained during our race..YIKES, IN FLORIDA!!!!!
Love,
CL

The M's on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM said...

So very cool!! Just an awesome way to continue the support of each other....inspiring girls!!!

Sarah on March 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM said...

Sounds like a great time! I can't wait to meet up with all the mito mamas here in southern cali where i live. We all just can't seem to get our kids healthy at the same time. LoL! I love all the pics!

Roeh Family Update on March 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM said...

Love this! You go girls!!!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez