Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Detour


I have so many new posts swimming in my head right now...and lots of fun, new pictures. I had hoped to have posted most every day this week. But the little guy got sick. Well, let me back up a second...Abby got sick with a some sort of fever and cough last week. The fever lasted for 5 days and wiped her out. She's still struggling with intense exhaustion each evening after doing her normal daily activities. It was a bug that made Jay and I mention to each other that it wouldn't be good if Nate got this...not because it was intense, but because it was such a long illness that seemed to zap normal energy.

As much as we tried to take all the precautions to keep the little guy well, he succumbed to the bug on Sunday evening when I noticed that he was feeling quite warm. He battled the fevers well for the first 24 hours, and then his body started to get a bit tired Monday night. During that night, he had numerous apnea events that were a bit scary and had a pretty high fever as well. After taking him to our pediatrician the next morning, it was decided that he would probably fair better if we could tank him full of fluids, as his intake has slowed dramatically.

He still looked okay at this point...really tired and puny, but definitely better than I have seen him at other times. But it was great that he was admitted when he was because it took a few tries to get an IV in, as he was already quite dry. After a lot of lab work and awful RSV and flu tests, it was decided that he would be moved to the IMU (step-down unit ranking between the PICU and the regular floor) so he could be monitored better. The nurse to patient ratio is better in the IMU than in a regular room. And since he is on droplet precautions because he is sick (and has one nasty sounding cough), he was moved to another room without a roommate. Score.

I was hoping that this admission would be a quick in and out, since Nate wasn't doing too terribly bad to begin with and just really needed some fluids. But, the doctor really didn't like the intensity of his heart murmur, so he has ordered a cardio consult for this admission...which I find a but humorous because he had his yearly cardiology appt yesterday that I had to cancel because he was so sick. He also ordered a genetics consult since genetics takes care of most of the metabolic kids here. It seems like every time we are in, they want to call genetics. We have an appt with them in September to discuss some metabolic stuff going on with Nate, but I have never been terribly impressed with them here...hence the reason we have never had much to do with them here (too many cooks in the kitchen). Granted, I only have a couple of encounters to make that opinion, and I hope that I eat my words when I spend more time with them.

So, I am still hoping that we get released tomorrow evening...though that is probably stretching it some. And Nafey boy needs to be able to exhibit that he has enough energy to stand up for more than a few seconds without looking quite tipsy and losing his balance...and eat and drink enough to sustain more than a hummingbird. Even though it has been so difficult to see him in pain and exhaustion from everything that happens in a hospital, I am thankful that he is getting the fluids and medications that he needs. And I am thankful we headed this one off fairly early. It feels like we are in a constant struggle to learn what Nate's body needs and when it needs it. I think we made the right decision at the right time this time around.

He's a strong little guy. And he is rather amazing too.

3 comments:

Allyson/HBMomof2 on March 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM said...

As is his mother! I have dealt with sick kids for 4 days and am my wits end, but you are in a constant battle with your sweet little boy and you never seem to quit. God bless you. I will pray for little Nate's speedy recovery, for his mother's courage, and for your family's enduring strength.

The Durster on March 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM said...

Just recently came across your blog. We are a mito family, too. Care Pages: GwendolynIS. Or check out our article on Yahoo re: having hope when there is no cure: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7785988/hope_when_there_is_no_cure.html?cat=25

Jen on March 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM said...

Glad to hear Nate is fairing well. I've heard this 5-day bug is a nasty one, even for the normal immune systems. I hope you get to go home soon!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez