Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A tubie

The little guy was taken back to pre-op and then the operating room about an hour earlier than we were expecting this morning. I have heard horror stories in the past about anesthesiologists not wanting to adhere to the somewhat controversial mito protocol when it comes to anesthesia, but we were nothing but impressed with the doctors who worked on Nathan today. They asked what has worked best for him in the past and what anesthesia we preferred from a mito standpoint and went with that plan.
 They gave him a good slug of morphine directly after surgery, so that really helped control the pain. He has received 2 more doses throughout the day to help as well. We can always tell when he needs more pain meds because he either starts breathing really fast or starts holding his breath to keep from breathing as much. Once the morphine kicks in, he is a totally different kid. We are expecting that he will be much better with less pain tomorrow.
He has been an absolute trooper. He's tired and sore, but he has charmed the nurses off and on and enjoyed his company throughout the day as long as he can still see the TV over their heads. Tonight as one of his nurses was listening to his chest, he started rubbing her arms and said "You have really soft skin." Who knew the kid knew how to flirt so early! Or maybe he gets a little more friendly with some pain meds in him. Regardless, it gave us a good laugh.

His sense of comfort in this hospital is better than it has ever been, which is both great and sad. He rarely gets anxious anymore unless something is happening that he isn't used to happening in past visits. He has been darling and sweet and kind and well-mannered. His attitude continues to amaze me with everything he has to endure. God's grace and loving hand is definitely evident in Nathan's life, and it is simply incredible to be a witness to it.
Except for his meds, the little guy has been NPO all day to give his stomach a chance to heal some. We will start feeds tomorrow and see how he tolerates them. For you tube feeding moms, we are doing EO28 Splash (Neocate). And he is pretty excited that he no longer has to take his yucky meds by mouth starting tomorrow since we can just put them in his tube.

Thanks for all your prayers and words of encouragement. They truly do mean a lot to us.


september on June 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM said...

Continued prayers for little man--what a trooper!

We love neocate around here; it got both my babies through their first eighteen months. I don't know where we'd be without it!

Kyla on June 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM said...

Yay! I'm so glad it went well and he's feeling okay. The part about him flirting with the nurse is so funny. What a cutie he is! Hope feeds go well tomorrow!

Heidi on June 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM said...

awww, good to see him awake. I love his laid back temperment! We have had a lot success with the Elecare, Jack is no longer FTT. Its very easy on the tummy as its all broken down and for kids that are allergic to many foods. I hope the splash gets him to a good weight and he handles the feeds well. Jack cried with his first feed :( First with pedialyte then formula, but we went really slow. He was inpatient for a few days to be sure he was able to tolerate his feeds. Hugs and continued prayers for your brave boy!
Heidi & Jack.

Susie Ladd said...

What a sweet and precious little trooper Nate is. He reminds me so much of our sweet and precious little guy. Please give him an extra snuggle from "Momo" and tell him that I can't wait to see his new "tubie" the next time you are in Houston. You know that only the "coolest" kids get "tubies".


Clara-Leigh on June 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM said...

What a handsome hero, as usual!! Glad prayers were answered, and I know the rest of this adventure will go smoothly. Hugs and a great big kiss on one of those sweet cheeks from the Evans Clan!!

Nina - Living Life in the Mito Lane on June 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM said...

Aww the little trooper! Praying he continues to recover well!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it all went well. Sending him our prayers.

Laurie on June 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM said...

Glad to hear he's recovering well. Praying for him. He's so adorable!

Blog Archive



Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez