Monday, July 25, 2011

Book Club


We've met some pretty incredible people the past few years through the school system and created some wonderful friendships through these encounters. I think it is important to get to know the families of the kids my little hooligans like to hang out with, so we are pretty much out in the open at school often. That is one thing I miss about the summertime...not getting to see everyone regularly like we do during the school year.
Anyway, in an attempt to keep the friendships of our chiltlins kindled through the weeks of summer break...and in a bigger effort to get their noses out of the copious rerun episodes of Phineas and Ferb and into books where they can practice all that good learnin' they learned at that place they do all the learnin' stuff during those learnin' months, one of the moms started a book club for the kiddos.
The kids choose a book to read and then we all take turns hosting the book club. We chose Charlotte's Web for our shot at hosting. Well, let me rephrase that to I chose Charlotte's Web because I am not too crafty and fun with this kinda stuff and I knew a movie of the book would take up a good amount of the time. And we already had the book, so I wouldn't have to buy it. I took the easy way out.
The girls loved reading the book! Abby and I took turns reading it out loud to Emma so she could participate in the book club as well. When the girls arrived, they made a door hangy thingamajigger craft that had absolutely nothing to do with the book, but I did tell them they could draw a pig or spider on it if they wanted to stay in theme. They put flowers and pom-poms on it instead.

We did decorate sugar cookies with icing in the shape of spider webs. And I asked them questions I lifted from the web about the theme of the book and main characters and all that jazz that totally used to bore me to tears in school. I hated English. Mr. Cliff deNotes was my best friend in high school.
We ate sugar cookies and pizza, where it took everything in me not to burst their little innocent bubbles by mentioning where their precious pepperoni originated. Little did they know that they were eating a deliciously ground concoction of Wilbur. Wilbur sure is tasty.

We settled in to watch the movie, which held their attentions for all of about 20 minutes before they erupted into massive games of hide and seek and rearranging every square inch of the house that had been carefully cleaned in preparation for the party. But they did have fun. They were especially surprised by an impromptu visit from their 1st grade teacher (well, the teacher to half of them) and all screeched and ran for hugs when she arrived.

It was a fun night. Exhausting...LOUD...but quite a blast.

2 comments:

september on July 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM said...

My eight year old daughter is a true carnivore--she loves meat in any way, shape or form and bacon holds a special place in her heart! She does understand that it comes from pigs; earlier this summer at our town's fair they had a small petting zoo with "rescued" pot bellied pigs up for adoption. She actually asked the man running it if she could adopt a pig for ham and bacon!

Kyla on July 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM said...

That is a super cute idea!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez