Friday, September 23, 2011

Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week: Hope for a Cure


I can still feel his warm, squishy body against mine...his head laying on my chest. I can hear his adorable little voice singing the ABC song. I miss him.

On this day last year, our precious friend Samuel passed away from complications of mitochondrial disease. My heart has hurt all week thinking about him. And it has hurt even more thinking about his family. Today will no doubt be very tough for them. I wish I could take this pain away from my dear friends.
It has been a hard year for our little mito community. We have lost so many little friends. Its the toughest reality that we all live with...that most of these precious mito kids will not live to adulthood. Its a reality that I hope is changed with our generation. With awareness comes funds, with funds comes research, and with research comes the possibility of treatments and a cure.

I pray that we will be able to see Nathan graduate some day. I pray that he will someday fall in love with a dear woman so that I can cry at his wedding. I pray that he will have the opportunity to carry on the Ferrell name by bringing children of his own into the world. The reality of this disease is tough, but it doesn't mean that we don't have hope. Hope for a cure.

Please pray for the Knight family today and all the other families who have recently lost their children to this insidious disease.

5 comments:

Kyla on September 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM said...

I've been thinking of Samuel and his mommy all day. I only know her through the clinic, but she has been such a blessing to me in just the short time I've known her. I never knew Samuel, but your posts about him speak volumes and it is an honor to know him through your eyes!

Wanda on September 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM said...

Love you and your family! Pray for a cure.
Wandy

Anonymous said...

Samuel has been in my thoughts lately. I miss ready his mom's blog. I hope his family is doing well. Sending prayers of comfort to Samuel's family.
Tina

Lilly Holliday on February 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM said...

I am a 22 year old wife to a 25 year old husband, unfortunately with Mito. I just started a blog : mitomatters2.blogspot.com/. I'm hoping to be more involved in the mitochondrial family, after a devastating year.

Lilly Holliday on February 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM said...

I am a 22 year old wife, to a 25 year old husband, unfortunately with Mito. I recently created a blog of "trying to deal" at such a young age and honestly out of exhaustion and suffocation of my own built up animosity. So after a horrible 2012 i'm hoping to be more involved and heal. Thank you. mitomatters2.blogspot.com/

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez