Saturday, October 15, 2011


Snuggled in between the two side rails of his hospital bed today, my little man snuggled tight against my left side and rested his head on my chest. "I yuv you, Mama!" passed from his lips as I could feel his rhythmic heart beat against my ribs. Unusual tears filled my eyes and spilled over, and all I could do was barely whisper an "I love you too" back.
I am not an overly emotional person. I do not cry on a regular basis. I don't know whether that is good or's just a fact. I know the stress...the statistics...the pain...the real circumstances of our life as a family...but its just "part of it" to us. I rarely get overly stressed out or emotional anymore.
But there is something about being in the hospital, especially for an extended period of time, that seems to make those tears flow a little freely. I think most of it stems from the lack of sleep and excessive just puts you over the edge. But part of you looks around at the beige walls, stale curtains, bio-hazard containers, and incessant alarms at all hours of the day and night and wonder "what happened?" And when you get to that point in your stay, its nearly impossible to keep the tears from flowing.
As the girls were all snuggled under the covers with Nathan in his hospital bed today while we were awaiting the discharge papers, Abby asked an inquisitive question: "How many times has Nathan stayed here?" We've been to our local children's hospital countless times...literally, I could never remember how many times we have gone for appts, tests, labwork, and admissions. But for how many times he has been "admitted" to our hospital, the answer was 11 (I think)...and 6 within the past year. We now know most of the nursing staff and everyone else on our favorite "side" of the floor. That definitely makes the stays a lot more comfortable. We have been blessed immensely during each and every stay we have had to make there.
Its the little things that make the stay of our favorite med students seeing a guy dressed as Buzz Lightyear and specifically asking him to visit of the front office clerks requesting that the Florida Gator sports players see Nathan and then repetitively talking about how fun his reaction was when seeing the college of the food service gals peeking her face in with an everlasting smile and greeting to the little man each time she passed by his room...therapy dogs coming for a therapeutic pat on the head...personally made smiley-faced bandaids on old IV sites. Its the little things that mean so much.
Most of the nurses we had this visit were regulars that we have had before, but there was a brand new one we had for 2 days that we instantly fell in love with...she will go far in this profession. She instantly molded into our family of sarcasm and fun and spent a good amount of time tickling and playing with Nathan. The PCAs were equally important, as they brought a special spark and love into our room each time they visited.
And we can't forget the entire surgery team that came to see the little guy each day...a team of professionals that we have dearly loved all summer and enjoy each encounter with them. Our surgeon wore a special character tie specifically for Nate yesterday (like he promised him)...a Hulk tie, since the little guy is so into superheroes right now. You can't help but love a doctor who emits laughter from your child by repetitively attacking the kid's face with his Hulk tie...that is someone who truly understands "pediatrics" and how to win the hearts of his patients. We are exceedingly thankful for our team here.
Nate is home tonight. He woke with great energy and little pain. I always know that it is time to go home when he starts to unhook his pulse ox wires and play with the up and down settings of his hospital other words, when he gets ornery. He walked a lot this morning and visited the playroom twice. Although he was quite exhausted and cranky this afternoon from the morning adventures, it was also a sign that he was ready to be home. 
We realized this morning that the little guy's belly button looked rather angry. The resident looked at it and called the fellow, and the fellow looked at it and called our surgeon. The consensus was that we just need to wait and see what it will do. Nate has been on IV antibiotics all week, so either the abx have been keeping the infection at bay, or it isn't an infection at all. Time will tell. The poor belly button is swollen and a deep red color, but there is no puss, fever, or streaking of color, so we were given the all clear to watch it at home. 
So, we are home and all the kiddos are tucked in bed right now. The Lord has truly blessed us this week. Its good to be home.


Wanda on October 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM said...

God is good! Love you all!
Wandy & Bro. Jimmy

Heidi on October 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM said...

So glad youre all home! Continued prayers for Nate, Im really hoping he can now have some normal days with his new stimulator, he's one brave little boy. Hugs

Amy B. on October 16, 2011 at 6:37 AM said...

So happy you are home! And I love the photos.

Will you please add a "SUBSCRIBE to this Blog" button (or maybe it's there and I haven't found it yet...)? I'd love to get an email alert knowing to check in for your posts.

Kyla on October 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM said...

So glad you guys are home and Nate is doing well!

Tara on October 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM said...

Ok, so I was holding back tears with in the first two sentences. Then after I read you cried, oh my gosh, my tears started flowing! Because you are NOT a cryer!! I love you and am so thankful, that you guys are home. You continue to amaze me, with your strength and knowledge!

Liz on October 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM said...

Glad you guys are home from the hospital. I hope the button doesn't have any more problems.

Here's my blog:

Blog Archive



Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez