Thursday, October 20, 2011

Random thoughts of a tired mind


I've had either a little virus or a rather small alien attacking my voice box over the past week. It has given me that deep, sexy smoker's voice most of the week that has come in real handy when the kids are in trouble. They seem to respond quicker to a deep voice. I've felt fine...just a raspy voice and the feeling that I have been run over by a Mack truck. I can't tell if the incessant exhaustion is from the cold or from the fact that abundant sleep has been pretty scarce over the past couple of months. Its amazing how little sleep you can get by on when you are stressed out...and how much your body craves that rest when the stress load minimizes.

Seriously though, I have felt like a walking zombie most of the week...or a teenager. They're kinda the same thing, if I remember those years correctly. I have adopted the 80-year old ritual of tucking myself in each night by about 9:00 and have used the cheap babysitter of DVR to my napping advantage more times than I care to mention this week.

Living life a bit on the edge last night by staying up past my new bedtime, I met an out of town friend for coffee at 8:30 last night...decaf coffee. Meeting at a spot close to the university, we were easily the oldest people in the building by about 8 years...and the placed was quite packed. The surrounding conversations consisted of mid-terms, weekend parties, and which dorm that so-in-so from economics lives and how it is so much cooler than "our" dorm. Man, did I feel old.

I was about half an hour early for our coffee date, so I listened to a lot of conversations surrounding me in the mean time. They were all pretty comical. It was quite entertaining hearing the running commentary of the brand new "adults" who sat close to me. Undergrad students are at such a tough age...old enough to make life changing alterations and decisions, but young enough that they are mostly still under the ultimate direction of their parents. Old enough that they are experiencing life's trials and triumphs on their own, but young enough that they still mostly have a net to catch them when they fall. I sat there wondering what these youngsters would be thinking and talking about 10 years from now.

Thinking about those college students a lot today, I realized that my daily thoughts and actions are all over the place most days in my life...wondering why my girls like to keep their favorite undies tucked away inside shoe boxes tucked in their dresser drawers to quickly panicking about not paying Emma's ballet tuition and realizing that my best friend already took it by for me and will remind me when it is due again (seriously, the gal has reminded me when it is time to pay numerous tuitions for various "things" the past few years, and I don't know what I would do without her!). Remembering to wipe the floor beside the toilet due to the young "poor aimer" in the house to getting excited about plunging through the box of candy I hid from the kids on top of the refrigerator. Stacking today's bills on top of the rest that need to be paid and writing a note to "pay bills today!!!!" to wondering what funny face we are going to create when carving our pumpkin this weekend.

I find it enlightening and a bit comical how much 10 years will change you in your youth. As a society, we don't see much difference between the ages of 70 and 80 or 80 and 90...but contrast that to 10 and 20 or 20 and 30, and that is seemingly a world of difference in age. I can't imagine how these college-aged kids will be when my kids are inhabiting the seats that they now inhabit.

3 comments:

Heidi on October 21, 2011 at 4:05 AM said...

sweet... me too, me too.

Jenny on October 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM said...

I'm sorry I kept you up past your bedtime. Well, maybe not because I loved having quiet time to talk! ;-)

Kyla on October 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM said...

Yeah, since I am currently an undergrad student, I'm privy to these conversations A LOT! It is a little comical to me, the things they "worry" about. They all seem to think I am their age until I mention my kids or how I was absent because my daughter had surgery, ect. They respond, without fail, "SHUT UP! You do NOT have kids!" Ahh, college kids.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez